Discuss the game Trespasser here!

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Board Managers

Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer
Antispam: No

Re: Trespasser VR on Quest 2

Post by Draconisaurus »

Wow two hands in Tres makes such a big difference. Like the difference between having one or two eyes.
Too bad that cement mixer doesn't move.
There is something oddly satisfying about hearing the ply plank have the Tres sound material when being propped against the wall.

I feel we ought to show this to Seasmus.
s13n1
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by s13n1 »

Double_G wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 6:29 pm

I played it for a while today, and I was having a lot of fun, while also trying not to bump into furniture or smack my girlfriend over the head when trying to pick up rocks LOL. For the longest time, I didn’t realize you could just pull a gun into your hands by pointing at it with your finger, so in the video, you can witness my clumsy attempts at picking up some weapons that I dropped on the ground, using my other two guns that I still had on me. It was embarrassing, but I decided to leave that part in anway lol. I couldn’t pick them up from the ground, because my floor level was set up incorrectly, but calibration takes 5 seconds so I’ll get it done before my next attempt. Sadly, my Quest’s battery died before I could see everything, but I plan on going back and seeing the rest of the level. Overall, I’m very impressed with your work. I would love to play through some of the later levels in VR, especially some of the more Lost Worldy ones, like Pine Valley. Hopefully one day, thanks to you, this will be possible
Ahh dude so good. I can't watch much cause I'm at work, but looking forward to when I get home!

I'm really excited to work on one of the northern levels. The harbour will be great, good mix of different veg and lots of buildings.

How did you find the performance?
s13n1
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by s13n1 »

Draconisaurus wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 1:24 am Wow two hands in Tres makes such a big difference. Like the difference between having one or two eyes.
Too bad that cement mixer doesn't move.
There is something oddly satisfying about hearing the ply plank have the Tres sound material when being propped against the wall.

I feel we ought to show this to Seasmus.
I can make the cement mixer move no problem. I want to make as much as I can movable. If you think it should do something, I want it to.

Yeah two hands do help a lot. I need to do some testing later in development to see how the game balances.
Double_G
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

Post by Double_G »

For 99% of the playthrough it felt smooth, with some minor frame drops here and there but nothing too distracting. I have to agree with Draconisaurus about that cement mixer. I would love to be able to move it or even put stuff inside, if the physics engine can handle it
s13n1
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by s13n1 »

Double_G wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 4:53 am For 99% of the playthrough it felt smooth, with some minor frame drops here and there but nothing too distracting. I have to agree with Draconisaurus about that cement mixer. I would love to be able to move it or even put stuff inside, if the physics engine can handle it
You can definitely put stuff inside it. I was screwing about with paint cans and rocks to see if I could get the physics to glitch out and make a Canon! 😁
s13n1
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by s13n1 »

As posted on the youtube page:

The process of optimizing the vegetation turned into a much bigger job than I imagined.
Basically the Quest doesn't like cutout shaders. This makes it really hard to render vegetation realistically in large quantities. Things were going well and running pretty nicely with just a few drops here and there, but once past the area with the Brachiosaurs, when you looked back towards the beach the frames took a major dump. There would be no doubt more areas throughout the game where this would happen and there's still more species of plants I'm yet to add, so something had to be done now.

I initially remade all the vegetation using cutout shaders that supported touch bending, then I discovered the issues with cutout shaders, so that was a few weeks of work down the drain. Switching to Opaque shaders, again I remade everything for Opaque shaders and tried to make them look like the originals with leaves and branches, but the poly count was just too high. They needed to be much less detailed, however the low poly chunky trees just don't look good unless you implement some kind of stylish rendering that compliments it, which is why I've gone with the cartoony cel shaded look. It was only about 2 weeks prior to starting the work on optimising the vegetation that I had wondered how trespasser might look rendered that way after admiring the comic book concept art by Uroš Begović. Funny how things work out.

It's not going to be everyone's cup of tea, I get it, but you have to understand this change is brought on by a necessity for performance and stability, not my desire to make it look like this, but I personally really like it now and think it helps make it pop.

When I first started working on this Quest version, it couldn't even hit 72fps with just an empty terrain and a skybox. No trees or objects, just one grass texture and it was running at around 40fps. Now look at it. I've tried my best to keep the (realtime) shadows and wind animation, because I feel they are really needed to make the world feel alive.

The only way the traditional style of rendering will be possible with solid performance is with the shadows and wind animation gone, no grass and unlit shaders. Or we all get a Quest 3 for Xmas.

I appreciate the feedback, just wait till you actually play it, I think you'll be surprised how much nicer it looks in the headset.

There's still much to be done. There's a lot of models I still need to remake and I need to finish the end of the level. Once the levels done and all models are correct, I'll release a new demo.

If I don't post again before Xmas, you all have a really good and safe Xmas and New Year's, and thank you for the years of support!

https://youtu.be/bfwKHYVBEnI?si=cAqxMRzjNJCBM_Gs

I cant embed youtube videos anymore, any ideas?
MinePass
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by MinePass »

That actually looks pretty good honestly. Think it'll look even better with some ambient birds flying in the sky and some water mist for that river. Really like the inclusions you made with the river and power lines. I'm definitely curious to see what happens next. Might have to get myself a VR set up.
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Reading this makes me wonder what similar situations are when a large dev team is present. How often to they lose weeks of work when discovering a hitch? I bet it happens. And still, they have a whole team working on it. Tres was built by an entire team. So, relatively speaking, I imagine your work is going really well considering it's done as a one-man-job. You seem to be handling it pretty well; looking forward to the next video.
s13n1
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by s13n1 »

It still needs a lot of extra little details to really make it look good, but i was surprised it looks as good as it does.

I'd like to add animated particle wind lines and perhaps falling leaves to help bring the world alive a bit more.

Rays of light would be nice, but transparent textures are a big hit on performance, i gotta be really careful how i approach it.

Water is tough on the Quest because i cant access the depth texture for edge detection. If i could, i could have shore lines and ripples around objects that are in the water. It can be done using the universal render pipeline, but that in itself is a hit on performance and then so too is the depth texture. Its just not worth it.

The CEL shaded shaders ive been using have actually been a heavy hit on performance. I didn't realise until i started trying to find what was causing some random performance hits. I dont know why they are costly, they are very basic and only have ramp shading for the lighting, but oh well, one more thing to try and overcome.

I did discover that the shader im using for vegetation allows for per object vertex displacement, so when batching the vegetation they still animate correctly. Previously this would have made all the trees fly around the level, all warping as one large object. This is huge because it saves a tonne of draw calls and it might even be possible to use this shader and add support for cutout. That might actually allow for instanced / batched cutout vegetation. Time will tell.

I'm still optimising models, but theres not too much left to do. I'd like to get something playable out before Xmas.
tatu
-=TresCom Website Manager=-
-=TresCom Website Manager=-

Post by tatu »

Draconisaurus wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 6:15 pm Reading this makes me wonder what similar situations are when a large dev team is present. How often to they lose weeks of work when discovering a hitch? I bet it happens. And still, they have a whole team working on it. Tres was built by an entire team. So, relatively speaking, I imagine your work is going really well considering it's done as a one-man-job. You seem to be handling it pretty well; looking forward to the next video.
Unsure. In a bigger team, you'd have specific people working on reprogramming the stuff, while level designers would continue to work on the level. So in a way they wouldn't really lose weeks of work. Fixing the code, or changing it happens at the same time as other people work on the design.
Active project: Trespasser: Isla Sorna
BE-PH1: Released
PH2-IT: Pre-released
PL-SUM: In production

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
Isolt
Stegosaurus
Stegosaurus

Post by Isolt »

I finally got around to installing side quest so that I could play this. It's been a few months since I read the post and I though there were no dinosaurs for some reason. Then I saw the Brontosaurus I audibly gasped, it was like playing the game for the first time again! Amazing, keep working on it please!
I upscaled all the textures a few years ago, feel free to use those if they're any use https://www.trescom.org/download/nnhd-t ... d-version/