MountainTop (new level release)

Creating new content for Trespasser!

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Board Managers, TresCom Developers

TrespasserGuy
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

MountainTop (new level release)

Post by TrespasserGuy »

MountainTop is a short, fun custom level that uses the JPDS~plains terrain as a basis. Make your way up the mountainside in order to escape the island :statue:

https://www.mediafire.com/file/md54zpli ... e.zip/file
tatu
-=TresCom Website Manager=-
-=TresCom Website Manager=-
Antispam: No

Re: MountainTop (new level release)

Post by tatu »

Nice! I still have not tried this one out, but I did went ahead and added it to TresCom and made a news post about it :)
Active project: Trespasser: Isla Sorna
BE-PH1: Released
PH2-IT: Pre-released
PL-SUM: In production

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Rebel »

I've played this and it is a very good level. I won't give away any spoilers but suffice it to say that I enjoyed it very much. :)
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Glad to see new levels being put out. Def. enjoyed the ending. Nice to see "Misty Mountain" with a pine environment.
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

(Note: I actually wrote this a week ago, but I tried to post it and the forum kicked me out and wouldn't let me back on, so I copied my post and now here it is...a bit late for the public release unfortunately.)

Okay! So I gave this a run-through a few days ago and I'm going off of memory here so forgive me if I forget the odd thing or two.

Thoughts:
- Intro area was interesting, reminds me of classic Tres levels. The whole thing felt very "classic" to me, a bit less complex than your usual levels.
- I ran out of ammo early on fighting the first two Raptors, but ended up with too much later on by the time I got to the mountain. Might want to slightly re-adjust weapon placement here and there.
- The little area with the JPDS shed was neat, though I feel like there could be a bit more of a challenge or puzzle in finding the keycard since I believe we've seen this particular "behind-the-boxes" solution before in the same building model.
- I love that cavern, it's always been great since its original appearance in JPDS. That being said I do feel like it was too similar to the JPDS~Plains version, with the same waterfall climb puzzle. The sleeping Rex is fun but I feel like more could be done with this area since we've seen this before...a couple of ideas:
- Play the retail "Splash" sound effect when the player falls from the waterfall climb, and wake up the Rex (since it would hear the sound).
- Add a trigger to make it darker when you go into the cave via fog settings. This is something no Tres level ever seems to do that would make it feel more unique, and (depending on the fog distance/density) would make the reveal of the bones before the sleeping Rex more ominous.
- Had some difficulties climbing a couple of places on the waterfall, in particular right before the little terrain ledge by the stalactite about halfway up. I couldn't get to the top of the rocks below without flying.
- The mountaintop station was cool, I liked the puzzle to get inside (sorry I couldn't have modelled a better fire axe, that was one of the first I ever made when I was like 13). Glad to see that RTJP East Dock building used somewhere as well.
- Flight worked perfectly! I was wondering whether that pteranodon would make some kind of pass at the plane...

I liked the level, though. Fun little romp up a mountain. It's been a while since we've had any smaller levels like this and I think it's a nice change of pace to cruise through in a night. :)
Nick3069
Albertosaurus
Albertosaurus

Post by Nick3069 »

I just played this level, it was nice and short. I actually got lost in the cave at first; I got to corpse and thought that's where it ended so I backtracked all the way to the bunker thinking I had taken the wrong path. I eventually figured out I had to keep climbing the rock s in the cave, but fell through one of them which almost killed me. Apart from the difficult to climb rocks, my only complaint is that the level is too short.
TrespasserGuy
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by TrespasserGuy »

TheIdiot wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 8:38 pm Thoughts:
- Intro area was interesting, reminds me of classic Tres levels. The whole thing felt very "classic" to me, a bit less complex than your usual levels.
I get what you mean, what with the level starting right behind a locked gate, a weapon right at spawn, and a linear path in front of you. I wanted to give the sense that this level is in media res, as if you're at the tail end of a bunch of previously played, unknown levels.
- I ran out of ammo early on fighting the first two Raptors, but ended up with too much later on by the time I got to the mountain. Might want to slightly re-adjust weapon placement here and there.

I wanted to add in more raptors to balance out the weapon loadout you were given but ultimately decided not to. I also debated on whether to put a final boss at the top of the mountain like a megaraptor or allosaur
- The little area with the JPDS shed was neat, though I feel like there could be a bit more of a challenge or puzzle in finding the keycard since I believe we've seen this particular "behind-the-boxes" solution before in the same building model.
- I love that cavern, it's always been great since its original appearance in JPDS. That being said I do feel like it was too similar to the JPDS~Plains version, with the same waterfall climb puzzle. The sleeping Rex is fun but I feel like more could be done with this area since we've seen this before...a couple of ideas:
- Play the retail "Splash" sound effect when the player falls from the waterfall climb, and wake up the Rex (since it would hear the sound).
- Add a trigger to make it darker when you go into the cave via fog settings. This is something no Tres level ever seems to do that would make it feel more unique, and (depending on the fog distance/density) would make the reveal of the bones before the sleeping Rex more ominous.
Those are some really good ideas, I'll keep them in mind if I want to update this level in the future...
- Flight worked perfectly! I was wondering whether that pteranodon would make some kind of pass at the plane...
I'm glad you liked it! The original plan was to have the T-rex from the cave sneak up on you as you were seated in the plane. The rex would burst through the locked gate that separated the runway from the rest of the mountain. The added danger was to get up in the air before the rex got a chance to chomp at you :yum:
Nick3069 wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 12:57 am I just played this level, it was nice and short. I actually got lost in the cave at first; I got to corpse and thought that's where it ended so I backtracked all the way to the bunker thinking I had taken the wrong path. I eventually figured out I had to keep climbing the rock s in the cave, but fell through one of them which almost killed me. Apart from the difficult to climb rocks, my only complaint is that the level is too short.
Thanks for playing! I admit this level was a little short. I hope to expand upon it by using the rest of the terrain beyond the gate at the start of the level.
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

TrespasserGuy wrote:The original plan was to have the T-rex from the cave sneak up on you as you were seated in the plane. The rex would burst through the locked gate that separated the runway from the rest of the mountain. The added danger was to get up in the air before the rex got a chance to chomp at you :yum:
Oooo I wish you'd done this.