New Weapon (GatlingGun) and Plane_Demo (page 3)

Creating new content for Trespasser!

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Board Managers, TresCom Developers

Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Re: New Weapon (GatlingGun) and Plane_Demo (page 3)

Post by Rebel »

I apologize for the long post to follow, but I'd just rather give all the info I can think of now to
avoid having to post up additional info later.

Helicopter (Alpha2 (with 180 degree automatic rotation))

Link: https://www.mediafire.com/file/61rk8l91 ... 1.zip/file

*Note: Even with proper GuiApp_Ce generated scns, level restarts do not work properly due I as-
sume because of the use of Variable Triggers (values are not reset). You'd need to exit the game,
then launch again. Just an FYI -

I've tried multiple methods of rotation and this package includes one of two methods I came up with.
Assuming all goes well, while in Hover Mode, a 180 turnaround works in the way explained below;

1) Go into Hover Mode. Note, before the 'Rotation Button' can be used, it is necessary to pilot the
Helicopter, meaning either going Straight and Ascending Straight UP. Note, rotation will work rather
smoothly if you have a little elevation from the ground and you aren't partially stuck.

*I've only had this happend occasionally, but only after Anne become a bit stuck, meaning the Heli-
copter bucked. So, seeing that the GhostModel is free and clear, the Helicopter and the Ghost are
likely no longer perfectly aligned as so mentioned, occasionally this means the auto-rotation will fail.
In that case, you're in for a long spin!

2) Before reaching out for the 'Rotation Button' place your finger on the 'W' key. Later, when you are
are more accustomed to the speed of the rotation and how to counteract it, the 'S' key mad surffice.
As soon as you slap (never grab!) at the Rotation Button, you're going to have to immediately begin
correctly Anne's position, else you're liable to be thrown right out of the Helicopter. I've gotten pretty
good at this, but I've already put my practice time in. ;)

3) While in Rotation, Anne is 'Free'. I found the best method of keeping with the Rotation is to keep
yourself aimed towards the rear pilot's side door (you'd basically be looking at where the handle and
the left rear top of the chair is).

4) If all goes well, and the 'GhostModel' has kept its alignment with the Helicopter, the rotation will be
coming to a halt in about 5 or 6 seconds. Be prepared to stop moving Anne with the W or S keys as
you don't want to slam yourself into the Button Console. Due note, there's always that chance align-
ment went awry and the rotation stop will be missed, then you're just in for a long spin!

5) The 'Reverse Button' should now be entirely lit up. A voice should announce that 'Auto Reverse'
has been engaged and that you have '10' seconds to rearrange Anne's position to a correct one, as-
suming that this is necessary (and I would think that it is).

6) You should now be 180 degrees turned around. Fly as you would as if you had before. Rotation
is a one shot deal here, meaning you can't turn around again, and if you take off and land and don't
use the Rotation option, it is no longer available on a second take-off. Mainly, the reason for this is
that the 'GhostModel' (correct name: GhostRider-00) does not maintain its correct position on land-
ing so 'Rotation' would work, but the Helicopter would just keep spinning until it ran out of push.

Conclusion: This is just one method of I would say a half dozen that I tested out. I prefer this one as
this is a near perfect 180 degree rotation. Uses? I could envision have to say, jot out over an open
plain, or an ocean perhaps, to another location to retrieve something that Anne simply could not get
to any other way (maybe a gorge would be a good example?). This object let's say that it is part of
a puzzle, that she needs to retrieve and then go back to where she was. So, what you'd do is before
landing at your destination, you'd enter hover mode, rotate the helicopter, and then land. You'd then
be able to return to the original position. Just an idea -

The 2nd option (which I will release), which I finally personally annoying, is to allow the Player to use
the rotation button to slow nudge the helicopter to the direction you want. In other words, you would
rotate for just a few seconds and rotate just a bit, then wait for a second or two then repeate the pro-
cess, hopefully getting the helicopter to point in the direction you desire. Some may prefer this, but
for me, I just find it to be too inexact to hit that spot you want. At any rate, I will release this version
as well, just probably not today.

Other Methods Tried: Assigned a magnet to Anne and attempted to rotate her along with the Heli -
copter. The magnet worked, but seeing the Player is likely a private class (I never looked), I could
not override her Foot (so I had no control over of her pivot (meaning, I couldn't spin her). Another
method was to move both Anne and the Helicopter in 4 distinct triggers, but again, too inexact and
there was no consistency as to where the Helicopter (or Anne) would be pointing would the rotation
stoppped. Now, there may be other methods to try out or others that I haven't thought of or tried, I
am not a genius, I'm just supplying what my aging brain conjured up.
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer
Antispam: No

Post by Draconisaurus »

A texture ghost! Not sure I quite can imagine what you mean. Or maybe... An incomplete transparency texture?
Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Rebel »

Draconisaurus wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:51 pm A texture ghost! Not sure I quite can imagine what you mean. Or maybe... An incomplete transparency texture?
Pretty much what I meant, Drac. I can't find anything amiss with the texture (checked on export), but I know it isn't the model -
Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Rebel »

2nd rotation demo(HeliDemo_Rotation2): https://www.mediafire.com/file/slkvx1i2 ... 2.zip/file

Version with incremental rotations (with each button touch)

*Note: Even with proper GuiApp_Ce generated scns, level restarts do not work properly due I as-
sume because of the use of Variable Triggers (values are not reset). You'd need to exit the game,
then launch again. Just an FYI -

I've tried multiple methods of rotation and this package includes one of two methods I came up with.
This is the 2nd useable method, basically nudging the Helicopter just a little bit at a time -

1) Go into Hover Mode. Note, before the 'Rotation Button' can be used, it is necessary to pilot the
Helicopter, meaning either going Straight and Ascending Straight UP. Note, rotation will work rather
smoothly if you have a little elevation from the ground and you aren't partially stuck.

2) While in Rotation, Anne is 'Free'. Since the push is relatively light and the rotation slow, you can
generally wait the 3 seconds after the Helicopter stops to repostion yourself.

*Please note, the higher the altitude you are, the more likely the need to use the 'w' or 's' key to re-
position Anne during the rotation.

3) Do your best to simply slap at the Rotation Button, don't grab it as that'll interfer with the push, it
will also make it less likely that you'll make it near a 180 turn on the first go around.

4) If you manage a 180, simply hit the 'Reverse Button'. A textover will display your direction either
Forward or Reverse -

5) Final note: This refers to both this rotation version and the auto-rotation version. It appears that
the higher in altitude you go, the more force the $push has. In simple terms, you'll rotate slower in
a lower altitude than a high altitude. I have no explanation for this apparent quirk. Also, perhaps if
you lower the rotation time from 3 seconds to 2 seconds, it may be easier to hit the desired mark,
you'd simply deduct '1 second' off of the 4 triggers associated with the rotation;

Where are; Trig_RotateCopter-00, Trig_StopRotation-00, Trig_RotSequence-00, and Trig_Effects
Rotation-00, with the latter two you are simply changing the float RepeatPeriod (-1).
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Whew! That was a bit thrilling. In my first few plays I couldn't get rotation to work. Then I started being more patient with the controls... Finally in the third session, I bumbled my way into having the helicopter land again. Then, as it took off again, it was already going faster than initial takeoff is when you first start the level. And, this time rotation worked (did I manage hover before that?). MAN is rotation scary lol! Had to scramble to stay in the cockpit. I was almost to the point of piloting my way back to the landing site, but ended up falling to my doom... Excellent level.
HeliTresFall.png
HeliTresFall.png (14.68 KiB) Viewed 457 times
Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Rebel »

Draconisaurus wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:29 pm Whew! That was a bit thrilling. In my first few plays I couldn't get rotation to work. Then I started being more patient with the controls... Finally in the third session, I bumbled my way into having the helicopter land again. Then, as it took off again, it was already going faster than initial takeoff is when you first start the level. And, this time rotation worked (did I manage hover before that?). MAN is rotation scary lol! Had to scramble to stay in the cockpit. I was almost to the point of piloting my way back to the landing site, but ended up falling to my doom... Excellent level.

HeliTresFall.png
As always, thanks for the feedback, Drac. ;) Scary, oh yeah, it catches you off guard. And the rotational speed isn't consistent either, sometimes the push is slow and other times it's like riding an amusement park Whip.
I think I finally solved those two lines on the Cyclic Control (re-textured). I trying to incorporate both; meaning the auto-rotation (so long as you don't land) and manual rotation. The way I have it set up now is that after
a successful auto-rotation you're then allowed to manually rotate. If you land before using auto-rotation, auto is disabled and only manual rotation is available. It was a fun little project to screw around with. The next
release will be a final release as just described.

Helicopter Demo Final Link: https://www.mediafire.com/file/xen8sjtf ... l.zip/file

The above link is the 'Final' version of my helicopter. As mentioned above, both the auto-rotation and manual rotation are included (auto being default (unless you land before using it). Personally, I prefer auto -rotation
since it's a perfect 180 turnabout, it's just the few seconds of terror involved with staying with the helicopter during the turn around. Audio messages afterwards will explain further. Note, the two earlier versions I will
likely be deleting from Mediafire's server.

@Drac. Fairly certain that lines are gone. ;)

@Edit: I've been puttering around with a jeep as of late. Unfinished, but I'll put an hour in here and there and see what happens. The JP Jeep model isn't useable for my intended purpose, but I did manage to scavenge a
few parts off of it so that saved me some time.
Attachments
Jeep_render1.jpg
Jeep_render1.jpg (31.52 KiB) Viewed 363 times
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Okaaay. Wow. So the helicopter is incredibly cool. It works surprisingly well considering how complex the controls are, I was even able to turn around and land it without too much hassle. I haven't checked out the latest edition but will do so another time as this is so awesome. Really hope to see someone use one of these in a level as I could see it being such a unique gameplay element.
The Jeep is an interesting one, how do you intend on having it turn? Directional pushers might work, again, but I never looked into it far enough to see if that's reasonable, or whether it even works.
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

TI wrote:The Jeep is an interesting one, how do you intend on having it turn? Directional pushers might work, again, but I never looked into it far enough to see if that's reasonable, or whether it even works.
None of what Rebel has done seemed reasonable or workable until he did it as far as I'm concerned Lol. He has made things the devs would definitely have said were not possible in this engine.
Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Rebel »

Thanks for the niceties, gentlemen. T.I., I actually truly like flying the helicopter, it's fun. Drac, to dream the impossible dream, eh? lol As far as the jeep is concerned, I can only put an hour or so into it here and there, so
it'll be a while before the model is even imported. From there, we'll just have to wait and see what I can actually do with it. Pushers are difficult to work with on terrain, mainly due to the friction with the ground, I assume,
but nothing can stop we stubborn old Pollacks from trying.
Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Rebel »

Haven't worked on this since last week, but the model shown is pretty much the finished version. I ditched the desert camo, seeing that the green camo seemed a
more appropriate fit.
Attachments
JeepModel02.jpg
JeepModel02.jpg (33.92 KiB) Viewed 229 times
morningstarring
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

Post by morningstarring »

Have you used the AngleMin/AngleMax in any of the triggers or magnets for these? I have been trying to mess with those values but they don't seem to do anything. Maybe I'm missing something.
Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Rebel »

morningstarring wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 7:29 pm Have you used the AngleMin/AngleMax in any of the triggers or magnets for these? I have been trying to mess with those values but they don't seem to do anything. Maybe I'm missing something.
Hey, morningstarring, how've yah been. No, to the above. I'm aware of the values, but I'd assume that if the values work that they would set the min/max limit the rotation of the object that
the magnet is attached to. Just a guess -
morningstarring
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

Rebel wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 7:37 pm
morningstarring wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 7:29 pm Have you used the AngleMin/AngleMax in any of the triggers or magnets for these? I have been trying to mess with those values but they don't seem to do anything. Maybe I'm missing something.
Hey, morningstarring, how've yah been. No, to the above. I'm aware of the values, but I'd assume that if the values work that they would set the min/max limit the rotation of the object that
I tested some values. basically 90 degrees, tried positive and negative, set min and max to the same value and opposite values, tried them one at a time(just setting AngleMax = 90 etc.) but my magnet object just keeps spinning. :(
tatu
-=TresCom Website Manager=-
-=TresCom Website Manager=-

Post by tatu »

morningstarring wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 10:26 pm
I tested some values. basically 90 degrees, tried positive and negative, set min and max to the same value and opposite values, tried them one at a time(just setting AngleMax = 90 etc.) but my magnet object just keeps spinning. :(
The "PValveHandle-00" objects in PV uses those scripts. They do function somewhat. You may have to set a Mass to your object. The handle in PV has Mass = 50, which is a lot, but may be why it is working.
Active project: Trespasser: Isla Sorna
BE-PH1: Released
PH2-IT: Pre-released
PL-SUM: In production

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
morningstarring
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

tatu wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 4:31 am
morningstarring wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 10:26 pm

The "PValveHandle-00" objects in PV uses those scripts. They do function somewhat. You may have to set a Mass to your object. The handle in PV has Mass = 50, which is a lot, but may be why it is working.
looking into it. still not working quite right for me. need to do more testing i guess.