Read all the other stories from the world

Moderators: scallenger, Rebel, Sky, madppiper

Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer
Antispam: No

Re: RETURN TO THE LOST WORLD

Post by Draconisaurus »

Oooops, white board, I already have one lol, I meant to say cork board, where you put pins and yard on etc.
Hmmm, I don't remember a Galli pattern in anything. Possibly you saw it in some other media. Huh I wish I could see your cork/white board.
Hilwo wrote:Third Character
Hmmmm, at first it'll be just the two of them. But, I'm not sure where the story will go after that. I want the story to at least start in a very small scale.
Elliot Wu
I am a huge fan of that addition. I love how it makes parts of the book make more sense. I am aware writing this fan fiction, that most readers probably haven't read the Elliot Wu alternate scenes. So I have been planning to write in a way which is not necessarily either version. Keep it possible but not go into it. It's hard to recall now but I think Elliot was on his way out, at the end of that version of the book, and he gave them his boat to escape.
Hilwo
Dilophosaurus
Dilophosaurus

Post by Hilwo »

White board
LOL, I was mixing the terms up too - I had a cork board and pins as well. I never got far with it, though. I'm pretty sure the Lost World notes got replaced with Fallout 3 maps and notes at that time :razz: I found the Galli stuff and added the images from the book in this post. It's in Dutch though, but maybe you will recognize it. In any case, these are what I meant.
image007.jpg
image007.jpg (47.66 KiB) Viewed 455 times
image006.jpg
image006.jpg (27.24 KiB) Viewed 455 times
Third Character
I hope Malcolm and Levine will annoy the *beep* out of each other frequently in any case :)
Elliot Wu
On his way out as in leaving soon, or dying? The article I read did state the other characters noticing Elliot didn't look very healthy. Which parts do you think made more sense, had Elliot not been cut from the book? I am a huge sucker for environmental storytelling, so I prefer the way it turned out. I do wonder why Crichton cut the character, not sure if that is known or not. But I understand that it's a character you could possibly use for your story.
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Sounds like a nice cork board. Can't wait to make mine...
Malcolm and Levine
I'm sure they will. Hmm, possibly there is less of it so far than is warranted. But there hasn't been much back and forth yet.
Elliot Wu
I think his health was failing. And well,
Spoiler: show
the alt edit of the book describes that it was Elliot who allowed Arby to log into the InGen radio network so easily. Possibly he maintained the geothermal plant as well. Gardens are mentioned, which seems to be where he got his food from. Also, in the Elliot edit, it seems to be indicated that Elliot brought the three remaining filled gasoline barrels to the boat house, so they could escape. As well, Elliot gave a more thorough description of the story of DX. Sarah had to make some logical jumps to explain how it spread, which Elliot would actually have been able to observe in-person.
Thinking about it, I hadn't had a plan for DX in this sequel. Possibly it is a good idea to include somehow.
Hilwo
Dilophosaurus
Dilophosaurus

Post by Hilwo »

Malcolm and Levine
Good to know :)
Elliot Wu
I see.
Spoiler: show
Is this alt edit available somewhere, or just the bits online that describe it? Personally I'm still glad they cut him, as it takes away from the isolated/abandoned feel of the island I love so much. Allowing Arby to log in makes sense, but at the same time it diminishes Arby a little for me. I don't think I would have liked the book nearly as much with the inclusion of the Elliot character, if that makes any sense.
DX
Yeah, sounds like a good idea :)
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Elliot Wu
The Collectibles guy who found the pre-publish edit, posted most or all of the differences between the novel versions. There isn't that much different, and Elliot only actually appears for a short scene near the end. I get the preference to all-abandoned island. I thought the strandedness aspect of him didn't upset things.
DX
Hmmmm apparently it takes a couple weeks for symptoms to appear. And I can't picture how it affects the story of saving the island's species. Will probably just have to keep writing as I go, like I do.
Hilwo
Dilophosaurus
Dilophosaurus

Post by Hilwo »

Elliot Wu
Cool, as cut content it's still interesting to me. Is it known why Crichton made those cuts?
DX
Sounds good. How longer after the novel does your story take place? Sorry if I missed that. But for my compulsion with constant re-reading, maybe for me it's good to miss a detail now and then.
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Elliot Wu
I don't think it's known why Crichton cut it out, no. We can speculate though. I imagine part of what entered Crichton's mind, was indeed that the island seemed more forbidding and dangerous without a human already living there.

For how long afterward. I did write it, and forgot myself... but I think it was about 1 year after the end of the novel, during which time they had camera feeds from the island.
Hilwo
Dilophosaurus
Dilophosaurus

Post by Hilwo »

Yeah, I agree that's a good reason to cut the character. A year sounds long enough, curious to see what you come up with next :)
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

AIRPLANE

Levine finished the paragraph he was on, then shut the book, returning it to his backpack. He crossed his arms, laid back, his hat falling over his face. It really hadn't been the attendant whose visit interrupted his concentration. His thoughts were inevitably leaving the subject of the book; his visualizations of African predators kept turning into carnivorous dinosaurs, Savannah behaviors being replaced with remembered activities of the saurian denizens of Site B. He might as well set his mind to it.
The velociraptors he had observed in the field, numbering a dozen or so, had been entirely unruly. Vicious against prey, vicious against each other. While marching out of the long grass at night into the jungle, toward and past the "High Hide" observation structure, there had been no spatial organization. No evidence of hierarchy, no sense of leaders or followers... Dr. Harding had described witnessing individuals attacking each other, one even dismembering a pack-mate.
On the other hand, after some considerable effort and nagging, with a bit of clarification that he knew all about InGen, Levine had gotten Alan Grant to describe his experiences on the other island. The velociraptors found there, apparently, stood in stark contrast to the group found on Sorna. Caring parental behavior, unexplained spatial coordination... Levine had wracked his brain trying to decide why the two populations might be so different. Different genetic backgrounds? Adaptation to different environments? Specific life experiences? No matter how much he thought about it, he couldn't find an answer. Nothing he could think of offered a proper explanation. Sadly, according to Grant, the only surviving raptors from Isla Nublar were now lurking in the depths of mountainous Costa Rican jungle. But, the raptors of Sorna shouldn't be too difficult to find and study. Perhaps, he thought, two weeks could be enough to reach tentative conclusions about how the Site B specimens had adopted their marauder-like tendencies...

It was at this moment Malcolm turned to Levine. "You've been awfully quiet this whole time, " Malcolm said.
"I've been busy," Levine said. "Busy thinking. So busy that it seems my current reading will have to wait. I can't seem to get the Sorna velociraptors out of my mind."
Malcolm nodded. "Nasty, aren't they. Did you ever convince Dr. Grant to tell you about Jurassic Park?"
Levine lifted a water canteen to his face, drank, replaced it in his backpack. "I did."
"What did he say?"
"Far from the corroboration of observations I was expecting. It seems Isla Nublar's raptors were entirely different. Entirely different."
"And? Any ideas?"
"Not much. Possibly a different genetic background. Possibly environmental factors. Possibly something we haven't guessed. It's such a shame the island was destroyed..."
Malcolm grunted. "I'm sure the Costa Rican government would disagree."
"What? Oh. Well I'm sure they had their reasons. They seem to give no thought to the scientific value these animals represent, the questions of ancient prehistory which could be answered."
Levine opened his mouth to continue speaking, then paused as a thought occurred to him. He grabbed about in a shirt pocket, and retrieved a folded-up printing of an online news article. "Ian, I think you should see this," Levine said, and passed the paper to Malcolm.
Malcolm unfolded the article, a look of passive interest on his face.

COSTA RICA PREPARING ISLAND RE-OPENING?

Costa Rica, a Central American tropical paradise attracting almost 800 tourists a year,
has sad news: during the upcoming Summer season, the numerous offshore islands
will remain off-limits to tourists hopeful to see their natural wonder.
The closure is a continuation of government policy begun in early 1994. Although
government officials refuse to comment, it follows after the discovery of mysterious
"aberrant forms" washing ashore on the Costa Rican mainland. Rumors of giant
iguanas and the Lock Ness Monster have not been substantiated by photographic or
other evidence, but no other reasons have risen to explain the island closures.
However, anonymous sources report that the searching of the islands has finished,
and that normal tourism activities can be expected within the next twelve months.
Possibly the source of the carcasses has been discovered. Possibly one or more
islands have been identified as targets for safety measures. Will the shoreline
carcasses really become just a memory? Will any lingering island closures persist in a
year's time? Time will tell.

Malcolm finished reading, passed the article back to Levine. "I can't say I'm surprised. There are only so many islands to be searched. Maybe Costa Rica contacted the German mining company to get permission to search the island."
"Maybe. Time, as before, is short. We should be prepared for the Costa Ricans to arrive any day now."
That gave Malcolm a new thought. "What will you do," he said, turning, "if they show up while we are there? Or after, for that matter."
Levine's head jerked slightly in a nervous tick as he stared forward. "I'm not sure," he said finally. "I highly doubt they would be open to preservation options. All they see in these animals is danger and disease."
"They'll want to destroy the island. I'm sure that's their only thought."
"Indeed."
Levine stared out the window for a long time. Passing clouds asked to be white, sky-suspended, fluffy islands. He ignored them. Finally he turned back to Malcolm.
"Do you happen to know," he said, "if Dr Thorne has experience in animal transportation devices?"
Ian looked up sharply. "What, you mean cages and trucks?"
Richard said nothing.
Ian said nothing.
Levine returned his gaze to the clouds outside. "Just a thought."
Hilwo
Dilophosaurus
Dilophosaurus

Post by Hilwo »

Very nice, keep it coming :) I'm very curious in what state they are going to find the island.

Edit: I'm not very good at in-depth replies to articles and stories. Just so you know that my short replies don't mean that I'm not interested ;) I do wish I could be more helpful here. Just know that I really like it so far.
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Thanks. And well I am posting these in fairly short segments. Even small feedback is appreciated. 8)
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Do you have this compiled in a format I can download? I'd like to give it a read but I'd rather have it as a file I can go through on my PC rather than the forum. If not, once the story is done, can I humbly ask that you send me this in that sort of format? I'd rather do it in a few sittings once the entire thing is finished.
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Well, you mentioned that you like a single sitting to read it in, because you read so fast. With this in mind I think I ought to wait, and send you a document version when there is a lot more written. Lol this reminds me of when you used to review my mods. Great times.
Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Rebel »

I had to read this quickly (need to hit the hay), but it is a really interesting read and I like your writing style, Drac.
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Thanks Rebel. Funnily enough I think it might be going a bit fast, as my advice to TrespasserGuy was about, but I am not quite going for novel-length in this writing. Here's the next chapter.

BOAT

Their plane landed at Puerto Cortés airfield at 11:31 pm local time. They drove the Explorer out of the airport and over to a local Denny's for dinner before booking a room at a hotel to spend the night before setting off in the morning. At 7:30 am they drove down to the harbor. Waiting for them was a small boat, the Red Queen, a lone Hispanic fisherman smoking a pipe on the deck. Levine got out first.
"Hello! You are Señor Emanuel?"
The man, already staring at them, lowered the pipe from his face. "Si."
"Splendid. My name is Dr Richard Levine." Malcolm stepped out, and Levine gestured to him. "And this is Dr Ian Malcolm, my associate."
"Good, good," Emanuel said. "The two of you are in luck! The sea is perfect to go, for getting inside the island, if we leave now."
Levine and Malcolm looked at each other, then back at Emanuel.
"Now would be just fine," Malcolm said.
The two of them got back into the car and prepared to drive it up the ramp at the boat's rear.

Ten minutes later, the fisherman slighter better off monetarily, the boat and the Explorer were at sea. The sky was clear, the ocean relatively calm. Malcolm and Levine stood at the prow, awaiting the sudden appearance of a distant island on the horizon.
"It is nice," Levine commented, "to be on a boat headed toward the island. Our departure from Isla Sorna last time was so depressing, our stay so brief..."
"I still think the lighter load this time is a great improvement. Mobility around dinosaurs is always a good idea. That trailer was just asking for trouble."
Levine laughed briefly. "Overly appropriate, I would call it. Very useful, that trailer, very versatile... but, in the end, the island location of the dinosaurs proved smaller than I had imagined. Much smaller. I surveyed more of the island on a rusted bicycle than with the vehicles from Thorne's shop. Nothing against his work, of course. It just wasn't what I had imagined, Site B..."
Malcolm thought that one over. "I'm not sure what I imagined. The island's size doesn't surprise me. InGen wouldn't want much space beyond the basic requirements. From what I can tell, Hammond took steps to eliminate costs where he could. The minimal staff and automation, the sheep extract carnivore food..."
"You know," Levine said, looking at Malcolm, "your denial years ago about InGen's involvement, the rumors of genetic engineering... I was almost convinced that the Costa Rican carcasses really were from a proper Lost World. Survivals from before the KT-extinction event." Levine sighed. "Such a beauty it would have been..."
Malcolm reflected a moment. Then said, "I suppose. You know, if these animals were known about by the general public, there would be a great deal of interest. Scientists, conservationists..."
"Conservationists, yes. Interesting..."

Not long after, a reddish-black rim crested over the horizon.
"Ah, finally," Levine said.
Just then Emanuel emerged from below. "Hello, Señores. We are in luck! The ocean is mostly still good. Soon we will be inside Isla Gemido."
"Yes..." Levine turned. "Gemido?"
Malcolm answered. "It's another name for the island. It means 'groan', in reference to the sound of the caves."
"I see." Levine returned his gaze to the island, going over memories. "I must say, I'm glad to be landing this time, instead of scaling that cliff. Much preferable odds." He stared at his watch: 8:12 am. It's a shame to have missed the early morning observation period. An incomplete record for the day. Still, I don't think we should waste any time. We should begin observations immediately."
"Fine by me," Malcolm answered, not looking away from the island.
The fisherman spoke up. "Lovely birds may be found on this island. Lizards, too."
"Oh, we're not studying birds or... lizards."
"No? Then what?"
"It's... let's just say there are rare species living on Isla Gemido."
Emanuel laughed. If you say so, Señor." Emanuel turned to leave, then paused as if a thought had just occurred to him. "Say, you are not perhaps, working for government?"
Levine looked over sharply.
Malcolm remained calm. "No. We're just researchers."
"I see... I see... Well, I wish you good luck. Bring back a photo, eh?" With that, the fisherman returned belowdecks.

At last they arrived at the mouth of one of the caves into the island's interior. Going in, the sound of the water current and the engine blasted their ears as it echoed off the stone walls. The captain had turned the running lights on. After several loud minutes a light appeared ahead. Then suddenly, they were in the open again, vast ocean replaced with river banks and a high canopy arching overhead.
Levine took in the view, looking as if he were just coming home after a long time away.
Malcolm, of a mind for caution, went to speak to Emanuel.
"Let's land right here."
"No, no, the terrain here is not so---"
"The terrain here will do just fine."
The man sighed. "If you say so."
Malcolm didn't want to trouble the fisherman with the reality of the species which lived here, if it could be helped. A swifter landing would be best.

Five minutes later, the Explorer was being driven backward down the ramp, onto the muddy shore. A moment later, Emanuel was lifting the ramp back up with a motorized crank mechanism.
Malcolm rolled down the window, waited for the sound to die down.
"Thanks again. Your help in getting us here is greatly appreciated."
"Of course, Señores. Any time. See you in two weeks!"

The sky was clear, the air hot and humid. Malcolm rolled up the window and blasted the AC.
Levine was holding a map of Isla Sorna, a handy item he had printed out some weeks prior. He had in fact printed several maps, including ones from the InGen computer data recovery. On one map, on top of the black ink, red pen markings had been made, indicating the locations of InGen structures as well as prime observation locations.
"Nice map," Malcolm said, looking over. "Any idea where to set up?"
"Well," Levine replied, "my initial inclination was to return to our old High Hide location. That old structure was trampled by apatosaurs, by the way."
"I remember you telling me."
"Yes. Well, I find it preferable not to set up within a game trail. Even the trailer was parked beside one. No, this time, I was thinking we could park and observe from somewhere high up, on the Ridge Road itself."
"No argument here. Sounds safe. Two directions to ah, escape if we need to."
"Indeed."

Malcolm drove on, in the direction of the road. He remembered it from before, perhaps more clearly than he liked. Levine had put the map away and was now gazing eagerly out the windows. They came up to and passed the wooden sign reading "To Swamp" and "To Site B", taking the latter path in the road fork. Soon they came to the InGen security checkpoint.
"I always wondered about these structures," Levine spoke up, referring to the concrete and wood buildings beside the road. "If anyone unauthorized were trying to enter the facilities, one imagines they wouldn't use the front door."
"A fair point. Of course, it would seem careless not to build them."
"I suppose. Hmm."
As they rode along, the road began climbing; subtly at first, then steeper at irregular intervals. A few minutes in, at a sharp turn in the switchback road's path, there was a break in the foliage, a westward view open beyond.
"Here! Here!" Levine shouted.
Malcolm pulled over, stopped the engine. They both climbed out and walked over to the ledge. Before them was a breathtaking scene: the valley they had seen before, once again full of life. Dinosaurs of various species stood, rested, ate, and drank, just as before. Apatosaurs and trikes, parasaurs, hypsies... There was even a herd of pachycephalosaurs running into the jungle.
"Well," Levine said at last, "this is as close to a Lost World as we are likely to come."
"Surely," Malcolm replied. He stared a while longer, then said, "It really is good to be back. I'm not sure how, but I miss it."
"So do I."
They spent the next several minutes watching, unspeaking, taking in the scene. At last, they got to work.