Trespasser: Isla Sorna (PLSUM Preview 1)

Creating new content for Trespasser!

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Board Managers, TresCom Developers

Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer
Antispam: No

Re: Trespasser: Isla Sorna (PH2IT Pre-Release Release)

Post by Draconisaurus »

I take it you're making a new palette for the level? i'm curious how you plan to do that..
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

So, when will we have the full thing, by your estimates?
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Tres WIP: updated T-Script Reference and File Formats documents
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
tatu
-=TresCom Website Manager=-

Post by tatu »

Draconisaurus wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 12:47 am I take it you're making a new palette for the level? i'm curious how you plan to do that..
I generally just put all the terrain objects in GIMP and turn it into a 256 colour image to get a palette. That is what I did for BEPH1 and PH2IT. But of course, there are room for improvement. As I am removing building TrnObjs, that helps a lot.
That depends on what you mean with the full thing. A basic release so you can play it "all" through? Hopefully by the end of my vacation. A version where I have fixed up what people report etc? No clue. By my rate, in a few years. :P
Active project: Trespasser: Isla Sorna
BE-PH1: Released
PH2-IT: Pre-released
PL-SUM: In production

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

tatu wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2023 5:02 am
That depends on what you mean with the full thing. A basic release so you can play it "all" through? Hopefully by the end of my vacation. A version where I have fixed up what people report etc? No clue. By my rate, in a few years. :P
Just all the sections, that's what I mean. Even if it's divided in 3 maps covering the whole island, not a single map.
From what I understand, currently it's:
  • BE-PH1
  • PH2-IT
  • PL-SUM
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Tres WIP: updated T-Script Reference and File Formats documents
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
tatu

Post by tatu »

machf wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 3:59 am
tatu wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2023 5:02 am
Just all the sections, that's what I mean. Even if it's divided in 3 maps covering the whole island, not a single map.
From what I understand, currently it's:
  • BE-PH1
  • PH2-IT
  • PL-SUM
Yes, and this plan still stands. BE-PH1 and PH2-IT already got released, though for PH2-IT I still need to do some more stuff, same with BE-PH1 but it is more complete. When PL-SUM is released, people can at least enjoy playing it through, but my plan is to continue to maintain and update it. But getting them all out with a first release is a first major step. :)

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
tatu

Post by tatu »

I will not have a version ready by the end of the week. I still have most foliage left and I am slowly replacing all the objects. I sometimes get stuck fixing an object as I place them (in 3ds Max etc) which ends up being time consuming. But I am working on this every day so for now I won't set a date, sometime this fall at least :)

Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Sounds good to me. Does this mean that some version of all objs are now present?
tatu

Post by tatu »

Draconisaurus wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 8:49 pm Sounds good to me. Does this mean that some version of all objs are now present?
All TrnObjs have been imported, compared and placed. Some even fixed (Dam road, and Dam road properly being connected to the PV road).

Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

I see. How much of the other objs?
tatu

Post by tatu »

Everything except the foliage from the IT Plains part and the GeoPlant is imported into the level (but not placed, aka floating in the sky). And triggers. Those I will import after all the heightfixing as triggers are the usually thing that causes a crash, as some triggers requires to be imported before some others.

tatu

Post by tatu »

I ended up deciding to take another path. I am leaving foliage for last, as that is most time consuming. I have imported all triggers and placed most voiceovers. I have spent work and the GeoPlant puzzles work pretty well (except the Condenser one that was never implemented). The puzzles can be fully finished (with some minor issues), without the use of Boolean triggers so saving is possible.
Plains has not been implemented, not even the IT part as of now (though all the stuff from it is there).
I am currently at a phase where I am playing through it to see that all puzzles work and whatever issues I come across. So far I have played through Pine Valley and the Harbor section without major issues (no crashes).

While the level is several months away from an actual release, I do have plans on giving you all a very early access to is to try out once I have played it through myself to make sure it can be played from start to finish. That way people can experience it and give me feedback.
If everything goes well with my playthrough, I will very likely share an early version this weekend. :)

Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Looking forward to this. Drac wonders on what views between levels there are.
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

tatu wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 4:57 pm I have spent work and the GeoPlant puzzles work pretty well (except the Condenser one that was never implemented)
Did you re-do them from scratch? Or just modify them? The condensor tower puzzle should be doable, you might be able to do it with physics. I'd want some kind of indication that it's jammed, though, like having one of them spinning and the other one maybe making some kind of noise.
tatu wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 4:57 pm Plains has not been implemented, not even the IT part as of now (though all the stuff from it is there).
My suggestion is to bring in the original IT segment into either the previous level or this one for now. A proper rendition of Plains will come later. :wink:
Draconisaurus wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 5:41 pm Drac wonders on what views between levels there are.
From what I recall the last time I walked through the entire Sorna terrain, the second part of the game has a lot less to see between levels due to the tall hills around Mount Watson. There is a really nice view from PV into IJ at the start, and you also get to see the terrain continue on from LAB and AS1 into the next area. And of course there's the amazing view from Mount Watson, from which you can see pretty much the whole island. Makes me think we need little mock models for other major landmarks on the island, as the Town and Dam should both be clearly visible from the southern face.
AKatt17
Dinosaur egg
Dinosaur egg

Post by AKatt17 »

I'm definitely excited to see all of your guys' hard work! Aside from the first Raptor missing an attack function ,a few missing sounds (rock + ground = beep sound), a few places where exiting the level is easy (behind plantation house, a big leftward hill in early IJ1, and the ability to walk around the town and out the gate) - what I have played so far is better than I could have imagined this game could be, so thank you for that!
tatu

Post by tatu »

Did you re-do them from scratch? Or just modify them? The condensor tower puzzle should be doable, you might be able to do it with physics. I'd want some kind of indication that it's jammed, though, like having one of them spinning and the other one maybe making some kind of noise.
Both. The ReInjection puzzle was not implemented, so I just modified the model so you can turn those wheels.
Well the condenser is that big thing outside the control room, with the walkway going around it. I think you are referring to the cooling tower (with the fans). That is in there, but for now it is quite simple. The walkthrough mention a stick being stuck in it, and I will probably work on that for the first proper release.
My suggestion is to bring in the original IT segment into either the previous level or this one for now. A proper rendition of Plains will come later. :wink:
Oh, the IT segment of Plains is in this level, but as of now you start at the PV gate. The Dam is already in place for example, but I won't spend much time moving you and having you walk all the way from the town to the PV in this early preview ;)
From what I recall the last time I walked through the entire Sorna terrain, the second part of the game has a lot less to see between levels due to the tall hills around Mount Watson. There is a really nice view from PV into IJ at the start, and you also get to see the terrain continue on from LAB and AS1 into the next area. And of course there's the amazing view from Mount Watson, from which you can see pretty much the whole island. Makes me think we need little mock models for other major landmarks on the island, as the Town and Dam should both be clearly visible from the southern face.
As of now, there isn't much view. But more because I haven't tinkered much with the fog, and I haven't placed any triggers to change the fog as you progress through the level. Being able to have spots on the mountain where you can see a big part of the island should be possible, even if I think the fog up there should be a bit more dense.
Mock models for areas around the island is definitely something worth adding later on. If anything, LODs appears to be something people have not tinkered with except for foliage. However, the question is how well it looks from far away, unless you have a really long draw distance.
I'm definitely excited to see all of your guys' hard work! Aside from the first Raptor missing an attack function ,a few missing sounds (rock + ground = beep sound), a few places where exiting the level is easy (behind plantation house, a big leftward hill in early IJ1, and the ability to walk around the town and out the gate) - what I have played so far is better than I could have imagined this game could be, so thank you for that!
I am really pleased to hear!
And I do plan on revisiting the other releases as well once this is out (not the early preview, but when foliage etc is done). I've learned so much along the way as well. :)