Discuss the game Trespasser here!

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Board Managers

s13n1
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-
Antispam: No

Re: Trespasser VR on Quest 2

Post by s13n1 »

Now's a good time to buy a used Quest2. They're selling crazy cheap as people sell them to get the Quest3.

I'm planning to populate every building with furniture (like the early tres screenshots) and making all drawers and cupboards open, so you can scavange for supplies. So I could probably have less guns and more mags.

I like how it is in the original game because it forces you to switch it up, make decisions on what to take and what to leave behind. I'd hate it for players to just hoard 1 or 2 good guns and never use the others. Trespasser forces you to use them all.

Time will tell how difficult it is, once the dinos are working properly and you can kill and be killed, I'll be able to properly check the balance. The Dino's may need to be detuned, because they're pretty full on. They're not like the originals, they don't wait around and watch, they charge and attack. There'll be no bunny hopping away to safety.

The Spas12 is in. Still trying to figure out why it's not ejecting shells.. it's doing my head in.

Hunting rifle and revolver next, then I need to update a few models and then fill out the end of the demo area with foliage and it's about done.
Screenshot_20231024-201106~2.png
Screenshot_20231024-201106~2.png (2.44 MiB) Viewed 40048 times
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Looks so much like the original game. I guess that's a plus over some options for Tres VR.
s13n1
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by s13n1 »

Just sorting out some performance issues and it's just about done.

Suddenly have some frame drops when looking inland from the shooting range up to the resort sign. It's an intensive spot cause it's a long area and there's a lot on display, but I don't know why it's suddenly dropped.

Unity can be touchy at times. I'll find the performance can change from one build to the next, but then 2 builds later it's back to smooth.

I'll suss it out and try and get the last two guns in before release.
JohnDecodes
Dinosaur egg
Dinosaur egg

Post by JohnDecodes »

This is looking really good! I love seeing updates for this. When I was playing around with Unreal it felt like the Physics engine was a tad too primitive and touchy to do any Trespasser style gameplay justice, so this project gives me hope, even without a VR headset ;)

I know that there’s the 20th Anniversary Trescom Community Level, but it feels a shame that there’s no team akin to the Skyblivion mod team, with each person taking different sections of the game to remake / remaster together. With james_uk’s method of extracting full Trespasser maps, and your systems of unique trees, sound proximity, dinosaur AI and interactions, and weapons, it feels like all the systems are there. And with how quickly AI voice generation is improving, we could probably make fairly convincing generated lines of VO that never got recorded. That mixed with puzzles from the Design Doc that they couldn’t make because of the technology of the time, would be a dream.
s13n1
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by s13n1 »

JohnDecodes wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 3:39 pm This is looking really good! I love seeing updates for this. When I was playing around with Unreal it felt like the Physics engine was a tad too primitive and touchy to do any Trespasser style gameplay justice, so this project gives me hope, even without a VR headset ;)

I know that there’s the 20th Anniversary Trescom Community Level, but it feels a shame that there’s no team akin to the Skyblivion mod team, with each person taking different sections of the game to remake / remaster together. With james_uk’s method of extracting full Trespasser maps, and your systems of unique trees, sound proximity, dinosaur AI and interactions, and weapons, it feels like all the systems are there. And with how quickly AI voice generation is improving, we could probably make fairly convincing generated lines of VO that never got recorded. That mixed with puzzles from the Design Doc that they couldn’t make because of the technology of the time, would be a dream.
James UKs method of importing is amazing and for a PC port it would be a dream, but not for Quest and maybe not even for PC VR. Trespassers models use multiple textures and each one is it's own material. Ideally a model should have a single texture atlas and single material. If you require different shaders for glass or vegetation, then you'll need multiple materials, but you want to keep materials to a minimum.

Some of Trespassers models have 50+ textures. This means that one model has 50 different materials which is then 50 batches / set pass calls. The less the faster it will run.

I am using a single texture atlas for all boxes, barrels, paint cans fences, wood and other assorted metal props. Models that share materials can be batched to save draw calls and boost fps

I would love to combine all vegetation into one texture atlas and one material, because I predict it would be the single biggest boost in performance I could ever get, but it's a huge amount of work and it's not something I want to tackle just yet.

I've already been playing around with the voice tools for some custom script lines I've written, but not sure if I'll be using any of it.

I need to crunch hard tonight and hopefully I'll have it ready for the 28th!
s13n1
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by s13n1 »

Demo will be available in the next 24 hours.

Here's how the guns are looking.
Not sure why the hunting rifle sounds a bit strange, it sounds fine in-game.

Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Great video. So nice hearing all those Tres ambient sounds and effects, meanwhile the original foliage models are bending in the wind...
Double_G
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

Post by Double_G »

I haven't touched my Quest 2 in a while. It will be fun to play around with Tres in VR again
s13n1
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by s13n1 »

Draconisaurus wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 4:05 pm Great video. So nice hearing all those Tres ambient sounds and effects, meanwhile the original foliage models are bending in the wind...
All those trees and plants were made in Unity using the tree tool. It's a really good tool that produces surprisingly good looking trees that are really well optimised. Even has it's own imposter system which I'm not using cause to use it you lose fine control over placement, rotation and angle etc.
s13n1
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by s13n1 »

Updated demo is now available.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1J5QPWH ... view?pli=1

Happy 25 years!
tatu
-=TresCom Website Manager=-
-=TresCom Website Manager=-

Post by tatu »

Neat! I'll get a news post out during the week. I do not have access to the FTP at the moment, so I can't host it on TresCom yet :)
Active project: Trespasser: Isla Sorna
BE-PH1: Released
PH2-IT: Pre-released
PL-SUM: In production

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
s13n1
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by s13n1 »

tatu wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 6:45 pm Neat! I'll get a news post out during the week. I do not have access to the FTP at the moment, so I can't host it on TresCom yet :)
I've got the download on Google Drive for now, but once my SideQuest page is approved it will be on there.

Hopefully there's more than just two videos of people playing it this time. There's a bit more to do in this demo, so hopefully people enjoy it.
Melber
Triceratops
Triceratops

Post by Melber »

I'm excited like a little boy, I wish the day would come when it would this work on PCVR. :o
s13n1
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by s13n1 »

Melber wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 9:21 pm I'm excited like a little boy, I wish the day would come when it would this work on PCVR. :o
Awesome.

There is a PCVR version, but I'll be building on the quest version for the PC version now.

https://youtu.be/7x_r3sMy70o?si=9LPaR3ypOYso8tpK
Double_G
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

Post by Double_G »

I played it for a while today, and I was having a lot of fun, while also trying not to bump into furniture or smack my girlfriend over the head when trying to pick up rocks LOL. For the longest time, I didn’t realize you could just pull a gun into your hands by pointing at it with your finger, so in the video, you can witness my clumsy attempts at picking up some weapons that I dropped on the ground, using my other two guns that I still had on me. It was embarrassing, but I decided to leave that part in anway lol. I couldn’t pick them up from the ground, because my floor level was set up incorrectly, but calibration takes 5 seconds so I’ll get it done before my next attempt. Sadly, my Quest’s battery died before I could see everything, but I plan on going back and seeing the rest of the level. Overall, I’m very impressed with your work. I would love to play through some of the later levels in VR, especially some of the more Lost Worldy ones, like Pine Valley. Hopefully one day, thanks to you, this will be possible