Virtual Movie Set for bluescreening

Creating new content for Trespasser!

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Board Managers, TresCom Developers

machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Virtual Movie Set for bluescreening

Post by machf »

I made a (not so) small level that can be used as a bluescreen set for filming Trespasser physics interactions (objects falling, guns firing, dinosaurs moving around, etc.) and afterwards superimposing them onto a real-life background.

http://www.trescom.org/files/Levels/VirtualSet.zip

It's recommended that if you use ATX, make these adjustments in ATXconfig.ini:

Code: Select all

[FogSettings]
DefaultGameFogColor=0x000000FF
OverrideGameFogValues=1
FogPowerForcedValue=0.800000
FogHalfForcedValue=0.220000
Otherwise, you'll need to load the level, pause it, ALT+TAB out of the game, then ALT+TAB back into the game for the proper fog settings to kick in.

Import whatever you want to "film" into the level. Use ATX's "FLY" cheat to position yourself (and, by extension, the "camera") where you want. To adjust the angle of the shadows, in TresEd change the orientation (not the position) of the directional light located at (0,0,10) named "DLight_PineValley-00" (borrowed form the Demo level). There are invisible barriers forming a square to prevent anything from going past the set edges (think "The Truman Show"). For dinosaurs, if you want to use ATX's "FOLLOWDINO" cheat, I suggest you then to set their WakeUp values to 1000.0 or more, and the Sleep values correspondingly higher (the terrain is 1024m*1024m, although the "legal" area is somewhat smaller, like 700m*700m), that way they'll always be active, no matter where the player is.

If you need other objects for bluescreening (like a box or a cylinder to stand-in for objects in the "real world" background through which the dinosaurs and other things shouldn't pass), be sure to use the same texture I've used (named "FullBlue.bmp") applied to them, and set bool Shadow = false so that they aren't noticed. You can extract it from the level with TresEd... (hmmm... I may also try applying that texture to the player for a "total invisibility" effect preventing any body parts from showing on camera)

Of course, all this could be done in a much simpler way in 3D Studio MAX, but if you want to do it in Trespasser, this might come in handy...
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Tres WIP: updated T-Script Reference and File Formats documents
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
madppiper
-=TresCom Website Manager=-
-=TresCom Website Manager=-

Re: Virtual Movie Set for bluescreening

Post by madppiper »

Hehe, nifty!

Sure you can do it otherwise, but this may be handy for those of us who aren't animation-experts! Neat!
makairu
Gallimimus
Gallimimus
Antispam: No

Post by makairu »

Oh!
no doubt you made this because you noticed someone wants to do this.
In fact, I have mild interest myself for a few reasons.
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

Yes, it will simplify things a lot...
But this is still just an empty set (well, not quite... there's a raptor hanging around), anybody wanting to use it will have to add whatever he/she wants to use...
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
Microceratops
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by Microceratops »

Machf is awesome!
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

Here's a short video I made, right nowI'm taking a video editing class and had to use chroma keying for an assignment:
Giants_Calaveras_State_Park_1b.zip
(1.6 MiB) Downloaded 488 times
Enjoy!
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

Extended version (made it tonight in class):
http://www.trescom.org/files/Giants_Cal ... Park_X.avi (6.4MB)

Earlier version:
http://www.trescom.org/files/Giants_Cal ... ark_1b.avi (1.8MB)
(same as the attachment in the previous post)
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

No interest?

Smaller version of the extended video (4MB):
http://www.trescom.org/files/Giants_Cal ... Park_Z.avi

Another video: (4MB)
http://www.trescom.org/files/LomaAmarilla.avi
Thanks to S.I. for his skins...
Microceratops
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by Microceratops »

That was awesome! Congrats, man! Makariu helped me recently to do a short one, and it looks sweeeeet :D
TheGuy
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

Post by TheGuy »

Nice one machf! Reminds me a lot of some early YouTube videos I made using the same technique :lol: only, mine were a bit rubbish because I didn't really understand much about video back then (boy, that's changed :D ).

Though I did manage to use a crude method to add it to video where the camera is moving about. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EkTI7ul8SIQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CaaQ7nJhVVU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5E0GYEB-SOg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJAjFMfEsW8
ImageImage
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

Thanks, I wanted to film some video to combine it with other in-game footage last week and went to a park, but that part of the city was filled with fog and then followed by drizzle... I have to either return there another day or find another location with a similar layout and where there is no fog...
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

Just another day at the park (10.5MB):

http://www.trescom.org/files/Stegosaur2_1_Xvid.avi

Enjoy!
Nick3069
Albertosaurus
Albertosaurus

Post by Nick3069 »

Nice vids, Machf! I like how they actually go behind the trees.
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

makairu
Gallimimus
Gallimimus

Post by makairu »

Microceratops wrote:That was awesome! Congrats, man! Makariu helped me recently to do a short one, and it looks sweeeeet :D
You should at least post that on here, at least jsut to get it out there since there are a lot of examples on here.