How to install and run Trespasser under Linux

A discussion and "how to" of running Trespasser under the Linux operating system. You do not have to be registered for posting in this forum!

Moderators: scallenger, Dapper Dan, TresCom Support Team

chronzerg
Albertosaurus
Albertosaurus

Re: How to install and run Trespasser under Linux

Post by chronzerg »

Hey, ChronZerg here. It's been a while. Anyhow, I am getting an erorr when running the demo ver. of Trespasser in wine. It says it encountered a fatal error. I'll get the computer stats up soon, but is there any initial thoughts?
Dragonlord
Compsognathus
Compsognathus

Post by Dragonlord »

Get newest wine and install it using the HW method as mentioned in the guides. Using DirectX for rendering should be fine. I'd also recommend to use "simulate desktop" to be enabled (disable by default) and use at most 800x640 screen resolution. With that it should work fine. At last it did with me before my wine directory vanished for unknown reasons some time ago.
Leader, Head Programmer: Epsylon | Drag[en]gine ( Wiki )
chronzerg
Albertosaurus
Albertosaurus

Post by chronzerg »

Has the demo be tested to run successfully in wine?
Dragonlord
Compsognathus
Compsognathus

Post by Dragonlord »

I don't know about the demo but I've definitely run the full game in wine without a problem hence I would assume strongly that the demo should work too. The engines are slightly different but nothing which should break wine I presume.
chronzerg
Albertosaurus
Albertosaurus

Post by chronzerg »

Here is the screenshot of the error. It's very vague. I am running a virtual screen at 800x600. I am using Ubuntu 10.04, Gnone 2.3, Wine 3.1

Dragonlord
Compsognathus
Compsognathus

Post by Dragonlord »

That's a modified demo exe right? As the dialog here by itself is caused by a segmentation fault in the application. Problem is that under Windows a bunch of "incorrect" code constructs are waved through and not punished. Under Linux though all kinds of memory errors (detectable ones) are punished with a SEGV (segmentation fault or segmentation violation). This especially is true for windows applications running under wine since wine runs using the Linux rules of memory violation detection although the application itself has been written against the Windows rules. Does the original demo application also crash like this or is it only the modified version?