TresEd+ - TresEd redux

List your programs here (game-related or other software).

Moderators: scallenger, Rebel, madppiper, TresCom Support Team

RexHunter99
Albertosaurus
Albertosaurus

TresEd+ - TresEd redux

Post by RexHunter99 »

I've been working on the new level editor a lot over the last two days... I've also decided that it should just be a continuation of Andres' TresEd. So this one I'm working on now is V0.46 beta, where as the last released version of TresEd was v0.45.

Amdres cut his way to the top with TresEd and I think it'd be best if I honor that as well as make sure there aren't 30 different apps all with different names... this editor will be a Level editor and the name TresEd fits its fine.

I began with loading the GRF file, because back in the day, the Dev's would use the GRF file to make a new SCN file or so we believe. So far I can load the 'GROFF' block (which I wasn't doing before) which contains all the instance,models,texture names as well as a bunch of other data!

So far the editor already displays the GRF data in 3D, problem is I'm still working out exactly how the TScripts are stored in the file, so I can't load and display the models yet.

Interestingly enough through my debugging of the App, I learned that the with the Demo, the Dev's imported the TrnPlacement-00 object first into the level data, then they loaded the Mac10 (PMac10-00) where as we all tend to import all of our trees and plants and rocks and whatnot first :S

Anyways, I thought it was time to bring this up again because we all have spotted bugs and all have some suggestions that may make TresEd much more effective as an editing application.
Feel free to suggest some, though wait until Rebel gives the go ahead, this is the Original editors topic after all, and he's kinda the boss around here and all.

Rebel or machf? Can you possible help me out with the .valuetable section of the GRF, try to only work on the Demo if possible because the editor can't decompress the compressed retail levels as of yet (I fixed up the header I needed to decompress them... but I don't understand how to use the functions, nor is there any information that I can find online... I'm talking about the Lempel-Ziv functions in the 'lzexpand.h' header (which I believe is in the MSVC++ standard library) Andres mentioned them in the File Formats text (LZOpen()) and I beleive this is what he used, as well as the fact I can't download any other libraries right now, so I'm stuck with this one.

Anyway, I'm sorry if my post turned out to be more of a wall of text than usual, but I'm posting from my Wii, which is kinda awkward, but hey, it lets me post doesn't it?

See ya around, hopefully I can get more work done on this editor... and rather soon maybe even get it working more like the original editor.
~ They told me humans weren't real... I proved them wrong.
ImageAnthropology ~ A beautiful tale.
EpicZen
Carnivores Hub ~ Need the full games without all the hassle of torrents or viruses? Run on over to EpicZen's Carnivores Hub!
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Re: TresEd & GeomAdd - Trespasser Level Editing Software

Post by machf »

Why not call it TresEd+ or something like that? To differentiate it from the original...
I'll look into the file formats data later, after I arrive home...
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Tres WIP: updated T-Script Reference and File Formats documents
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
hppav
-=TresCom Forum Admin=-
-=TresCom Forum Admin=-
Antispam: No

Post by hppav »

I agree with machf, TresEd+ to show the difference in authorship.

EDIT: and Technically both Rebel and I are the bosses of the forums. I give you the green light myself. I'm sure Rebel will too. We need a newer editor since TresEd, as wonderful as it is, is still buggy.
Album 1 http://m.imgur.com/a/cRA26
Album 2 http://imgur.com/a/6tvKV
Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom leaked and (few) official photos
RexHunter99
Albertosaurus
Albertosaurus

Post by RexHunter99 »

TresEd+ sounds super.

I've been working hard for the last two hours and I've managed to load half of the values :S it's kinda messy but the only problem I have now is the value type for Groups (0x106) :S
EpicZen
Carnivores Hub ~ Need the full games without all the hassle of torrents or viruses? Run on over to EpicZen's Carnivores Hub!
tatu
-=TresCom Website Manager=-
-=TresCom Website Manager=-

Post by tatu »

RexHunter99 wrote:TresEd+ sounds super.

I've been working hard for the last two hours and I've managed to load half of the values :S it's kinda messy but the only problem I have now is the value type for Groups (0x106) :S
Hey, you should start a topic about TresEd+ so people can give their ides of what it can have in it
Active project: Trespasser: Isla Sorna
BE-PH1: Released
PH2-IT: Pre-released
PL-SUM: In production

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Good going!

Well there was only 1 post before Rex's, might as well use this, I guess..

And erm. I personally really prefered the title "TresApp", since TresEd is such a classic and I would rather differentiate it - ultimately, after the app is on its feet and fully capable of what the original apps all do, we could move those apps into more archival download sections and provide this new app. Or maybe we'll call this TresEd+ until it has branched out more from TresEd's functions?

I think I'll start a voting topic now..
RexHunter99
Albertosaurus
Albertosaurus

Re: TresEd+ - TresEd redux

Post by RexHunter99 »

Here's a small update.

I've been boasting about all my progress and not really shown much as physical evidence :oops: So I'll post a picture of what's done so far:
This is of the demo level, the camera is at t he 0,0,0 co-ordinates (world origin) facing the in-game-West direction.

I'm going to start properly loading the models into TresEd+ right now, as of the moment I post this post, I will update you guys with screenshots when applicable.

@machf
I fixed the script dumper, it exports the entire TScript now ;)
EpicZen
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

Uh... what are we looking at? Object positions?
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
RexHunter99
Albertosaurus
Albertosaurus

Post by RexHunter99 »

machf wrote:Uh... what are we looking at? Object positions?
Instance positions in the Demo, yes :p I'm rendering them as triangles with a red corner, blue corner and green corner, but they're so far away that they look like dot markers or something (as Draco pointed out to me)
EpicZen
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

Hmmm... what if instead of using triangles, you use three lines at straight angles to represent the axes and show not just position but also orientation?
RexHunter99
Albertosaurus
Albertosaurus

Post by RexHunter99 »

Well that's the idea when I'm able to render actual geometry, the triangles were just place holders (they're easier to see)
As for orientation, we didn't learn Euler angles in school and when I tried to read up on it online I just got confused :/
EpicZen
Anna
Gallimimus
Gallimimus

Post by Anna »

Look on the bright side, it's a step in the right direction! :)
Yes, my avatar is indeed a dino cookie.
RexHunter99
Albertosaurus
Albertosaurus

Post by RexHunter99 »

Update!

TresEd+ now opens compressed .GRF files (retail levels only) Draco and I discussed the usefulness of the compressed .GRF files and decided that there would be little to no point in allowing users to save them compressed again simply because the Demo engine can't read them and TresCom discourages modding with the Retail engine.

I've coded in what will hopefully render the correct colored fog for a level, I've also left in some unused data about the fog intensity and whatnot... but since the editor still doesn't display the sky or any geometry yet, there's not much to show visually...

EDIT:
I'm posting a picture of the fog in the freshly uncompressed "jr.GRF", you can see I changed the triangles to display an axis, and that rotations are performed also.
EpicZen
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

You forgot the part about RAR making uncompressed GRFs smaller than compressed ones :P But yeah. It's coming along well..
LtSten
Gallimimus
Gallimimus

Post by LtSten »

Very nice work you've been doing on this Rex. You're getting there! :)
Bringing TPA CRCs up the well, amongst other file format adventures.
Blender 3.0 TPM Plugin [Project GitHub]