Corrupted Music downloads.

Discuss and analyze Bill Brown’s score for Trespasser.

Moderators: scallenger, TresCom Board Managers

glitchhunter09
Pteranodon
Pteranodon

Corrupted Music downloads.

Post by glitchhunter09 »

I was on the Trespasser Music Site (The fan made one) and I found 3 corrupted music tracks after I downloaded the soundtrack. The music tracks are partially corrupted close to the end. They end before they are supposed to. The exact time is shown but the music tracks doesn't stop at that time and instead stops about 20 seconds early, even though the time says when its supposed to end. In windows media player, the track stops and goes to the next one with the track labeled orange with an exclamation point.

The corrupted tracks are: The Ascent, The Plains, and The Island. These three tracks need to be fixed. I've encountered this problem before elsewhere and no matter how many times I redownload the music file the result is the same.

I would also like to state that the track, Sleeping Dinosaur is only 16 seconds long and I think its actually supposed to be longer than that as it seems to be cutoff at the 16 second mark. Might I suggest fixing these tracks? There seems to be a problem with them and they need to be fixed. Otherwise the Soundtrack won't be very good in quality and realism of a real soundtrack if these aren't fixed.

Thanks.
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer
Antispam: No

Re: Corrupted Music downloads.

Post by Draconisaurus »

Definitely have not heard of those problems before.. and Anna recently DLed them and didn't report any anomalies. Dunno what's up but I'm sure Scall will have a look when he sees this thread..
glitchhunter09
Pteranodon
Pteranodon

Post by glitchhunter09 »

It happens a lot on the internet when downloading music it seems. I think it has something to do with them somehow getting corrupted during the download and then just not letting you download the song correctly no matter how many times you delete the downloaded file from your computer and try again.

Also in audacity, some of the Trespasser music tracks act funny. For example: they'll run at 48000 HZ instead of the 44100 HZ like they are supposed to. Sometimes the beginning of some the tracks in audacity, will have an annoying noise that sounds sort of like nails on a chalkboard.

As for the three corrupted tracks. In audacity when they are opened the three corrupted tracks have static covering the parts of the music track where they stop and until the real end of the track. This static isn't present in Windows Media Player.

Edit: I just tried it again and it worked. However, Sleeping Dinosaur is now giving me trouble. Now its doing what the others were doing.
tatu
-=TresCom Website Manager=-

Post by tatu »

Sounds like is have to do with your computer or internet connection
Active project: Trespasser: Isla Sorna
BE-PH1: Released
PH2-IT: Pre-released
PL-SUM: In production

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
TheGuy
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

Post by TheGuy »

I've experienced random MP3 downloads being corrupt in the past (it usually happened for me when I was downloading many at the same time). I have the score RARed for my site, I'll get the link for it. It's slightly different than the one on Scalls site, with some tracks better quality, and with some tracks that weren't included.

http://www.fileplanet.com/205118/200000 ... nus-Tracks
ImageImage
glitchhunter09
Pteranodon
Pteranodon

Post by glitchhunter09 »

I've pretty much redownloaded the corrupted ones. I might need to download another as well later because it just doesn't seem to end properly.
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

TheGuy wrote:with some tracks better quality, and with some tracks that weren't included.
???! I hope you tell Scall about that.. or that he catches this convo. And of course, you'd need to tell him WHICH tracks...
TheGuy
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

Post by TheGuy »

Draconisaurus wrote:???! I hope you tell Scall about that.. or that he catches this convo. And of course, you'd need to tell him WHICH tracks...

Lol, I honestly don't remember much about my sourcing for the better quality files, but the two extra tracks are bonus ones (the one with the beach with no dialogue, and some other one that I've forgotten) which were found by Scall (iirc). I've not been on the tres OST site in AAAGES, so they might really be up there anyway.
ImageImage
scallenger

Post by scallenger »

WHAT?! HOW COULD YOU HAVE DONE THIS?! HOW RUDE! HOW DISRESPECTFUL!

HOW... much I am just pulling you're chain right now. ;) Hehehe.

That is strange that sometimes music doesn't get downloaded correctly through the internet, but then again, it's a machine, right? Bound to be glitches. Better get more Nedrys out there to patch up the holes. Hope we don't have too many back doors, however...

But actually, as featured in another thread on the Trespasser General forum, I am doing a complete redo of the entire Tres Soundtrack site that will be up sometime in the near future. And one of the decisions I made was to actually have the soundtrack up in a .zip instead of having to download one by one. Figured it would be easier for people instead of downloading all those files one at a time!

I am curious which tracks you found in better quality, because I am sure I got them all from the best possible sources. The best being right from Bill Brown's site, I used them all (that's why some are MP3s, they are from his site). The rest of them, the WAV files, are straight from the game files, converted from the original source, and are, as far as I am aware, the ONLY place you can get those tracks.

However, if you are aware of another source, please let me know! Did you do a digital cleanup, and that's what you mean by better quality? I know the many tracks from the game do have hiss and stuff.

And yes, those two tracks, as noted, were found by me, and are actually featured in a forum post somewhere. In my new site they will be included in the full .zip with the rest. I am also changing a few other things from the current version, but as sound quality goes it will be the same (unless TheGuy really did find a better source).

I may even get a new cover design by the same guy who did the Jurassic Time one. :D And now you guys know too much! lol.
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

Any intentions to ask Bill Brown the names of those still-unnamed music tracks?
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Tres WIP: updated T-Script Reference and File Formats documents
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

I'm relatively sure Slug has tried contacting the guy.. No luck yet. :?
scallenger wrote:And one of the decisions I made was to actually have the soundtrack up in a .zip instead of having to download one by one. Figured it would be easier for people instead of downloading all those files one at a time!
True for some people - but others, with bad connections, depend on multiple downloads to be able to get them before their connection blips. :? Might try having both options available.
scallenger

Post by scallenger »

The only problem having both options available is space. The downloads aren't too big in .zip form (a little over 100mb?). And don't most people have faster connections than in the past?

Question for you all: on the new site, should I still have the tracks that can only be found from the game as WAV files (best quality source) or as high quality, 320kbps, MP3s? For space reasons, I am probably going to say the latter, but what do you folks think?

And as for the soundtrack download TheGuy had up to download, I checked it out myself and it does not sound better in quality to what I have. In fact, in some cases it is in lesser quality (ex: the tracks from Bill Brown's site). I remember at one point I think I had lower quality MP3s for the MP3 option, but if that is what I end up doing exclusively, they will be at 320, like I mentioned.
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Hmm.. Having the wave ones available was part of how Matt and I went about figuring what compression to use for sounds in RJ2008. Though, I guess those can always be extracted from the sound files, anyhow. So, mp3 should be good.
glitchhunter09
Pteranodon
Pteranodon

Post by glitchhunter09 »

What kind of software will you use to turn them into 320 kbps? the reason why I'm asking is because I could probably use that to make my Video Game music rips sound better as MP3s. (Including my 16-bit JP soundtrack rips.)
scallenger

Post by scallenger »

I use CDEX and convert them to the highest quality of 320 setting available.