Draco - Sunday, 22 February 2009

Released! - Discuss progress and updates on the biggest Trespasser level endeavor ever, JPDS - a dark Tres mod by Draco and co.

Moderators: scallenger, JPDS Team

Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer
Antispam: No

Draco - Sunday, 22 February 2009

Post by Draconisaurus »

Name: Draco Astreus
Position: Team Leader, 3D modeller, event scripter, sound design, level design, texture design, every other frakin thing
Occupation: Aspiring Game Designer, Restaurant Front Worker, Wandering Wizard
Listening to: Halo 2 - 08 Sacred Icon Suite. 1. Cortege-2. Opening

Just popping in for an update from me.. Life is officially taking more time than it used to (working, hanging out, going to bars/the occasional techno rave or strip club XD etc.), and I'm away from here the vast majority of the time. I managed to get through the forum reading less than a third of what was posted, and it felt pretty good. Mainly I'm interested in the modding topics, anyway. As for progress on any of my projects.. there hasn't been ANY time for them. However, I finished the papercraft project I was working on for a friend's birthday and have only 2 shifts this week, so I've got a bit of time back.

First off, my plans for JPDS1. I'm actually going to release it in Beta state, the one thing I said I would never let happen to it, heh. But it's come to my attention that, since I really don't intend to "finish" the level, anyway, I might as well admit the truth that it's gonna be a beta rather than a complete level. A similar fate to TC_Isle, I suppose, but in the form JPDS1 will be released, I believe both versions of TC_Isle will easily outrank it (other than by any measurement of size ;)). With all the "free" time this week, I see the opportunity to hammer out all the loose ends, one way or another, and release this damn thing. There will be some unfinished locations here and there though moreover the foliage in the level will appear to be complete (mainly it's still needing ground foliage work and object height adjustment.. I'll fix as much of that as I reasonably can). What's mainly left to do is populate the level with dinosaurs, a crucial step if the level is to feel at all like a level and not a gigantic WIP environment (oh, and gun placement). So, hopefully we can all look forward to that later this week, or at least it will be nearly ready for that by the end of the week.

Secondly, I'm very cautious about revealing anything about my upcoming Tres level project.. in fact I'm so cautious about showing anything of it that I've just now decided not too. :lol: But I'm sure you guys will love it when you see it. It's a much smaller project than JPDS, yet I believe it's infinitely better and more beneficial to me professionally.

Oh and, since it's almost a certainty that JPDS will never be realized as a game, I've decided to eventually write what I've developed up to now as a story. I think some parts of JPDS work better as a game than a story but it should still turn out pretty damn nicely. Look forward to that later this year.

And a final note.. Trespasser: Reloaded is not looking as likely as it once did. :? I am not really interested in using Trespasser assets anymore. It's a shame not to use all that cool Mystery Model stuff but Rex and I are really wanting to move on from dinosaurs (though I've got a bit left to go on that front, anyway). Rex is back in school, which takes up all of his time.. he doesn't know for sure if he's staying in but as long as he is, there'll be no development on the new engine, BUT he's noted that the new engine he's been developing to run Carnivores levels is coming along nicely enough that he wishes to use it as the basis for our new engine, for which we have an entirely new (non-dino) idea. So yeah.. I really dunno when PV will see the light of day, now. It'll always be in the back of my mind, so who knows, maybe we'll pull something resembling it out of our asses one day. I still think "The Curse of Pine Valley" sounds like a great name for a totally new game of some kind..
Shadow Wolf
Albertosaurus
Albertosaurus
Location: living underground in the middle of freaking nowhere

Re: Draco - Sunday, 22 February 2009

Post by Shadow Wolf »

Draconisaurus wrote: going to bars/the occasional techno rave or strip club XD etc
strip club? :lol:
Secondly, I'm very cautious about revealing anything about my upcoming Tres level project.. in fact I'm so cautious about showing anything of it that I've just now decided not too. :lol: But I'm sure you guys will love it when you see it. It's a much smaller project than JPDS, yet I believe it's infinitely better and more beneficial to me professionally.
it looks great, I second that they'll love it :)
Oh and, since it's almost a certainty that JPDS will never be realized as a game, I've decided to eventually write what I've developed up to now as a story. I think some parts of JPDS work better as a game than a story but it should still turn out pretty damn nicely. Look forward to that later this year.
very wise, considering the discussion we had RE this maybe literary competitions would be better than lev ones :P (give me two/three years though)
Rex and I are really wanting to move on from dinosaurs (though I've got a bit left to go on that front, anyway)
I'd move on from dinosaurs but it's all I'm good at
post something intelligent before I go insane from a combination of exhaustion and boredom
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Shadow Wolf wrote:strip club? :lol:
Yep XD My first time (and only so far)... I wasn't sure how I'd take it but I am in fact going to bring more money next time (mostly for the private dances).
very wise, considering the discussion we had RE this maybe literary competitions would be better than lev ones :P (give me two/three years though)
Haha, yeah I bet Rex would be interested..
Rex and I are really wanting to move on from dinosaurs (though I've got a bit left to go on that front, anyway)
I'd move on from dinosaurs but it's all I'm good at
LMAO!
Nick3069
Albertosaurus
Albertosaurus

Post by Nick3069 »

Draconisaurus wrote:Just popping in for an update from me.. Life is officially taking more time than it used to (working, hanging out, going to bars/the occasional techno rave or strip club XD etc.), and I'm away from here the vast majority of the time.
I was wondering where you went. I haven't seen you around here in 2 weeks, if it wasn't for you being online on Xbox Live once or twice, I would have thought you were dead. :lol:
Draconisaurus wrote:my plans for JPDS1. I'm actually going to release it in Beta state, the one thing I said I would never let happen to it, heh. But it's come to my attention that, since I really don't intend to "finish" the level, anyway, I might as well admit the truth that it's gonna be a beta rather than a complete level.
:cry: Oh well, at least a part of it will finally be released.
Draconisaurus wrote:I'm very cautious about revealing anything about my upcoming Tres level project..
A secret project? Interesting.
Draconisaurus wrote:
Yep XD My first time (and only so far)... I wasn't sure how I'd take it but I am in fact going to bring more money next time (mostly for the private dances).
Your girlfriend is OK with that?
Second Illiteration
Albertosaurus
Albertosaurus

Post by Second Illiteration »

I can NEVER get enough dinosaurs
hppav
-=TresCom Forum Admin=-
-=TresCom Forum Admin=-

Post by hppav »

"The Curse of Pine Valley" sounds like a werewolf game of some kind O.o IMHO
Album 1 http://m.imgur.com/a/cRA26
Album 2 http://imgur.com/a/6tvKV
Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom leaked and (few) official photos
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

Draconisaurus wrote:BUT he's noted that the new engine he's been developing to run Carnivores levels is coming along nicely enough that he wishes to use it as the basis for our new engine, for which we have an entirely new (non-dino) idea.
You do know that the Carnivores developers have requested to be given credit if their released source code is used as the basis for a new game, right?
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Tres WIP: updated T-Script Reference and File Formats documents
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
Nick3069
Albertosaurus
Albertosaurus

Post by Nick3069 »

Carnivores is open source?!?! :o
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

Not quite...
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Tres WIP: updated T-Script Reference and File Formats documents
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Nick3069 wrote:I was wondering where you went. I haven't seen you around here in 2 weeks, if it wasn't for you being online on Xbox Live once or twice, I would have thought you were dead. :lol:
Lol, yeah in fact I'm on that a fair amount, sometimes..
Draconisaurus wrote:
Your girlfriend is OK with that?
Heh, guess you're a bit behind the times :yum: I revealed back in a Nov. or Dec. dev journal that we broke up in late October. However, I should note that she tried to bring me to a strip club more than once while I dated her, to get boobs in the face etc, and I was not yet comfortable with that kind of thing. Been changing slowly but surely in the times between..
Second Illiteration wrote:I can NEVER get enough dinosaurs
LOL eh whacha mean?
hppav wrote:"The Curse of Pine Valley" sounds like a werewolf game of some kind O.o IMHO
Hmmmm yeah it kinda does :lol:
Whoa, you made it to admin at some point.. congrats!
machf wrote:You do know that the Carnivores developers have requested to be given credit if their released source code is used as the basis for a new game, right?
Eh well I haven't been involved with those details, I haven't yet been fully informed on how Rex's engine was derived. We'll need him to see this thread and comment. *sends him a link in offline message*
hppav
-=TresCom Forum Admin=-
-=TresCom Forum Admin=-

Post by hppav »

lol, I was made an admin a couple of days ago, only yesterday did I set my permissions and my rank :P
Album 1 http://m.imgur.com/a/cRA26
Album 2 http://imgur.com/a/6tvKV
Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom leaked and (few) official photos
THEL1NK1N2
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by THEL1NK1N2 »

hppav wrote:lol, I was made an admin a couple of days ago, only yesterday did I set my permissions and my rank :P
Hey! Congratulations, hppav. A new era of responsibility waits for you. Oh, and as for the spammers, give them hell, hppav. :wink:
Anna
Gallimimus
Gallimimus

Post by Anna »

hppav wrote:lol, I was made an admin a couple of days ago, only yesterday did I set my permissions and my rank :P
Congratulations! :D
Yes, my avatar is indeed a dino cookie.