new weapons

Released! - TresCom Ops' TC Act 2 Archive Forum.

Moderators: scallenger, Hilwo, Kovu

Remdul
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

new weapons

Post by Remdul »

Other weapons:

-shovel
-pick
-crowbar (homage to Gordon Freeman)
-chainsaw

Last one might be refreshing, and interesting. Think we can make that work? Would be nice with all the noise, and all the blood when you cut thru a raptors head...

If you got ideas of other weapons (besides guns) post em below. :)
Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Rebel »

Chainsaw sounds rather unique. If we ran a 32frame anim for the blade it might look convincing enough and adding sound always adds to that realism.
Remdul
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Remdul »

Yep, that's what I had in mind :) . How to make this work? Similar to the flashlight?
Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Rebel »

Yeah, what I think we could do is use the [action] for running the anim and sound. One note about anim's is; you need the value, int TrackTwo settings, which basically hold back the animation to a select frame. Once the TrackTwo is reset, say to 32 at full framed animation (believe 32 is the max, everything above that is ignored), it'll play thru those 32 frames, then reset, so you can't loop it. To wrap it up, you'd need to hit the spacebar (or whatever key you use) to restart the chainsaw again. Like the flashlight, dropping it or putting it down would shut it off.

*One problem, as with the flashlight. The chainsaw textures would probably need to be one texture, as attempting to attach compound objects together with mags doesn't work well when they're being bounced about or stored. Try as I may, I still haven't been able to keep the flashlight beam with the flashlight for any extended period. My bottom line solution is; it can be turned on once, but if it's stored (belt) or dropped, that's it. No more beam --

btw, forgive my oblivious nature, but who the hell is Gordon Freeman? JP?
Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Rebel »

Weapons related:

I've been searching for a method of being able to change the ammo count of a weapon through triggers, but I've run out of ideas. Eg. Anne picks up a box of shells, her ammo count increases.

Anyone else care to take a stab at it? I've tried actiontypes up to forty, used player settings, settings cinput, et cetera; about everything that I could think of at the moment, so.....
Remdul
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Remdul »

Gordon Freeman is the scientest you play in Half-Life.

Rebel, what if we attach the lightbeam to the flashlight and with a transparant texture animation (frame one just black, frame two gradient)?
Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Rebel »

What's happening to the flashlight is that after either storing it or bouncing it around too much the lightbeam position (held by mags to the front of flashlite lens) is either separating or being pushed down along the length of the flashlight. You would think that the mags would hold it in place, but they don't.

*Can we (somehow), create just one texture for the flashlight, plus an opacity map where the lightbeam would be? I'm not even quite sure how to explain the thought here, seems a rather bizarre method of texturing a model, but I guess I'm suggesting that the beam itself becomes part of the overall model, use the opacity map to block out the beam when not in use.
Remdul
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Remdul »

That was actually what I was refering to.

Sure can put together this...but the flashlight would be unlit? Haven't thought of that myself. We can't use two different textures on the model and then animate it, eh?

Still thinking about the gun idea. The muzzle flashes stay right where they are when you store it, tho we can't make the beam (=muzzle flash) stay there until you sqeeze the trigger again, right?
Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Rebel »

Let's see if we can bring them all together.

So, our flashlight consists of just one texture, lightbeam itself is part of overall flashlight model. Sort of a segmented texture, like the one you created for the ptera or seagull.

1 texture (with opacity map) would have lightbeam erased

2nd texture (with opacity map, if needed) would have lightbeam in on position.

*Can we get our [action] or firecommand key to control both on and off? I'm not sure.. .. can animated texture sequences be randomized? eg. bool Random = true?

*I believe muzzle flashes are controlled by duration lengths

As before, either storing or dropping flashlight will switch texture to off position; I imagine this is our backup plan in case some other method cannot be found.
Andres
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Andres »

Not sure exactly what you mean about randomized animations - do you want the animation to play the frames in random order? As a hack you could use one of the randomized trigger ProcessStyles, and in Action00 set Frame=0, Acion01 Frame=1, etc, then the frames would occur in random order. (See that values reference of mine, some of the randomized ProcessStyles weren't used in the original levels)
Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Rebel »

Sure, that'd probably work fine, Andres. You may have to press the action bar once or twice to get the flashlight on or off, but I do like the idea.
Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Rebel »

Rem, think we should use this cattleprod gun too. Of course, our added benefit is if we zap a raptor it'll jump. 8)

Other weapons:

-shovel (setup done)
-pick (setup done)
-mini pick (setup done)
-crowbar (homage to Gordon Freeman)
-chainsaw
-sledgehammer (setup done)
-cattleprod gun (setup done)

*I've added the mini pick (same as large pick, thickened handle
some)
*sledgehammer seems logical
*cattleprod went searching for because of tresman. (I actually
like this thing, though it wasn't setup properly, had to redo)

Some items on our list here obviously have duel purposes, but
then, that's the cool part, turning anything into a weapon. Of
course, may be things here we end up not using, but I like to
be prepared just the same....