Pretty clueless here...

Management front office desk. Ask away.

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Webteam, TresCom Board Managers

THZ
Dinosaur egg
Dinosaur egg

Pretty clueless here...

Post by THZ »

Well, being it that my knowledge of .GRF, .scn, .pid, .swp, and other files which come mostly with my downloads from the site, I really have no clue how to get the TresOps level, or any other games on the download page for that matter, to work. I remember when I used a Windows XP things were a lot easier, so I have a feeling Vista is the problem or some other programs I've downloaded in the past which could be affecting file usage.

Any help would be hot. :D
Shadow Wolf
Albertosaurus
Albertosaurus
Location: living underground in the middle of freaking nowhere

Re: Pretty clueless here...

Post by Shadow Wolf »

THZ wrote:Well, being it that my knowledge of .GRF, .scn, .pid, .swp, and other files which come mostly with my downloads from the site, I really have no clue how to get the TresOps level, or any other games on the download page for that matter, to work. I remember when I used a Windows XP things were a lot easier, so I have a feeling Vista is the problem or some other programs I've downloaded in the past which could be affecting file usage.

Any help would be hot. :D
welcome, are you planning on staying or just dissapearing again once your questions are answered? :lol: and someone with the knowlage you seek will answer your questions shortly...
post something intelligent before I go insane from a combination of exhaustion and boredom
THZ
Dinosaur egg
Dinosaur egg

Post by THZ »

Hehehe, well saying I'd leave would seem kind of rude wouldn't it? But yeah, I plan to stay for a lot more than I first thought. ;)
Never know when the problem might come up again. :x
That and everything here's pretty awesome so there's no reason to leave just yet. ;D
Shadow Wolf
Albertosaurus
Albertosaurus

Post by Shadow Wolf »

THZ wrote:Hehehe, well saying I'd leave would seem kind of rude wouldn't it? But yeah, I plan to stay for a lot more than I first thought. ;)
That and everything here's pretty awesome so there's no reason to leave just yet. ;D
good to know, the large majority of user accounts on TresCom are unused, on the other hand the other day a new member instantly took interest in my project :lol: which was an unusual thing to happen, ever considered modding Tres?
Last edited by Shadow Wolf on Sat Feb 09, 2008 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
post something intelligent before I go insane from a combination of exhaustion and boredom
THZ
Dinosaur egg
Dinosaur egg

Post by THZ »

Shadow Wolf wrote:
THZ wrote:Hehehe, well saying I'd leave would seem kind of rude wouldn't it? But yeah, I plan to stay for a lot more than I first thought. ;)
good to know, the large majority of user accounts on TresCom are unused, on the other hand the other day a new member instantly took interest in my project :lol: which aws an unusual thing to happen, ever considered modding Tres?
Well it's still good to know there are (or at least were) fans of Trespasser. :lol:
As for modding, well, probably not until I'm a little more experienced in the internal art of computers, but it sounds like fun. :mrgreen:
Shadow Wolf
Albertosaurus
Albertosaurus

Post by Shadow Wolf »

still hundreds of us tres fans left, and yup modding sure is fun :yes: and not always as hard as I thought it would be, plus there's always expert help here... which reminds me, I'm off topic
THZ
Dinosaur egg
Dinosaur egg

Post by THZ »

Shadow Wolf wrote:still hundreds of us tres fans left, and yup modding sure is fun :yes: and not always as hard as I thought it would be, plus there's always expert help here... which reminds me, I'm off topic
Hahaha, no worries. I'll take to account the kindness and conversation helping me through the wait. :lol: But yes no more words from me. :wink:
Slugger
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-
Antispam: No

Re: Pretty clueless here...

Post by Slugger »

Wow, six replies and they're all off topic, even the first reply....
THZ wrote:Well, being it that my knowledge of .GRF, .scn, .pid, .swp, and other files which come mostly with my downloads from the site, I really have no clue how to get the TresOps level, or any other games on the download page for that matter, to work. I remember when I used a Windows XP things were a lot easier, so I have a feeling Vista is the problem or some other programs I've downloaded in the past which could be affecting file usage.
Trespasser runs fine on Vista. First, you'll need to perform a "Hard Drive Install": http://trescom.3dactionplanet.gamespy.c ... php?t=1328

From there, install ATX:
http://trescom.3dactionplanet.gamespy.c ... php?t=3602

Once you've done that, place any level files you download into the "tres cd\data" directory, fire up Tres, and use the level select cheat to load up your level.

Welcome to the forums, btw. :)
0066521C: 'Cannot create local swap file - Is Trespasser installed??',0Ah,0
"Cold lino was the driving force behind world power!"
THZ
Dinosaur egg
Dinosaur egg

Post by THZ »

Good explanation, but is there a more user-friendly version of how to do it? ^_^'
Like a simplified walk through without too many big words. :lol: Like initializing the patch, and all that... just overall simple. :yes:
Shadow Wolf
Albertosaurus
Albertosaurus

Post by Shadow Wolf »

THZ wrote:Good explanation, but is there a more user-friendly version of how to do it? ^_^'
Like a simplified walk through without too many big words. :lol: Like initializing the patch, and all that... just overall simple. :yes:
probably not on a forum who are mainly all computer literate :lol: much to my disappointment
THZ
Dinosaur egg
Dinosaur egg

Post by THZ »

Hehehe, well thanks either way. I'll just use the info given and try to build up something from there. ;)
Slugger
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Slugger »

THZ wrote:Good explanation, but is there a more user-friendly version of how to do it? ^_^'
Can't get much simpler than:

- Uninstall Trespasser
- Copy the entire contents of the Trespasser CD to "C:\tres cd"
- Remove CD, run "setup95.exe" found in the "tres cd\setup" folder

- Download the "Main Package" and the "Executable Package" off of the ATX homepage
- Extract "Main Package" to "Program Files\DreamWorks Interactive\Trespasser"
- Extract one file from the "Executable Package" to the previous directory
- Run "trespasser_atx"
0066521C: 'Cannot create local swap file - Is Trespasser installed??',0Ah,0
"Cold lino was the driving force behind world power!"
Shadow Wolf
Albertosaurus
Albertosaurus

Post by Shadow Wolf »

Slugger wrote:
Can't get much simpler than:

- Uninstall Trespasser

- Download the "Main Package" and the "Executable Package" off of the ATX homepage
- Run "trespasser_atx"
well don't ask me :lol: I was talking about some of the stuff that's as easy to understand as the installation guide for lynx browser :lol:
Nick3069
Albertosaurus
Albertosaurus

Post by Nick3069 »

Slugger wrote:- Uninstall Trespasser

- Run "trespasser_atx"
You forgot the Change Compatibility Mode step (once for setup95.exe and again for trespasser_atx.exe), especially if you have vista, but I guess if he installed it already he must already know it.
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Nick3069 wrote:You forgot the Change Compatibility Mode step (once for setup95.exe and again for trespasser_atx.exe), especially if you have vista, but I guess if he installed it already he must already know it.
Hmmmm, I've never messed with "compatibility mode". :? The difficulty in getting Tres to work is mostly and/or only for Vista, I think, so XP'ers need not worry about such things, though it seems he is using Vista. Who knows, though, maybe it isn't always needed for Vista, either..