JPOG dinosaur models?

Discuss the game Trespasser here!

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Board Managers

Dinosaur egg
Dinosaur egg

JPOG dinosaur models?

Post by 618 »

A while ago, there was a link somewhere to a site where someone, sorry I don't remember who, had changed a bunch of JPOG dinosaurs into trespasser models. Can anyone give me a link to the site? Thanks in advance.
Second Illiteration
Albertosaurus
Albertosaurus

Post by Second Illiteration »

Nick3069
Albertosaurus
Albertosaurus

Post by Nick3069 »

Did any of you ever noticed that the OG T. Rex opens it's mount way to wide? Also the same thing happens with most of the other other JPOG dinos.

I think the proplem is that they are rigged with their mounts opened to start with and when they "open" they just open them wider.

Could you have not fixed that, machf, when you lowering their polycount?

That wide mount Rex is really starting to stand on my nerves!
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

I like it that way. And it was even more open originally.
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Tres WIP: updated T-Script Reference and File Formats documents
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
Second Illiteration
Albertosaurus
Albertosaurus

Post by Second Illiteration »

Nick3069 wrote:Did any of you ever noticed that the OG T. Rex opens it's mount way to wide? Also the same thing happens with most of the other other JPOG dinos.

I think the proplem is that they are rigged with their mounts opened to start with and when they "open" they just open them wider.

Could you have not fixed that, machf, when you lowering their polycount?

That wide mount Rex is really starting to stand on my nerves!
I noticed that too and wanted to fix it. I tried, but screwed something up so I'll have to try it at a different time.
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

Remember that reptiles can open their mouth far more than us...

Bunch of whiners... :wink:
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
Nick3069
Albertosaurus
Albertosaurus

Post by Nick3069 »

Yeah, maybe, but they are not snakes they are dinosaurs (more bird than reptile). :P
Is that a link to the fixed version of the OG Rex?!?!?
Thank you very, very much! :mrgreen:
Kacy
Triceratops
Triceratops

Post by Kacy »

Tyrannosaurs probably did open their mouths gapingly wide. They needed to. It was their only killing tool. (Arms too small, toe claws blunted) Dinsoaurs may not be snakes, but they're still reptiles.

And Nick, if you want to get technical... Some scientists believe birds are highly specialized 'kind' of reptile. :?
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

Regarding the models themselves... it seems it's more usual to have the dinosaurs with their mouths open, but Trespasser does it the other way around. And in order to rig the meshes, it's a lot less complex if the upper and lower jaw don't overlap. Repositioning the jaw then, after the mesh has been rigged, isn't really complex, I think S.I. is having a streak of bad luck lately...

Just don't expect me to reposition the jaws of ALL those meshes too soon...
Nick3069
Albertosaurus
Albertosaurus

Post by Nick3069 »

Kacy wrote:Tyrannosaurs probably did open their mouths gapingly wide. They needed to. It was their only killing tool. (Arms too small, toe claws blunted) Dinsoaurs may not be snakes, but they're still reptiles.
Yes, I agree, but in tres it has it's mount open WAY to wide!
machf wrote:Just don't expect me to reposition the jaws of ALL those meshes too soon...
:( Ahh, too bad, but I understand.
Could you at least it with your next creations and maybe 1 or 2 other major "old" big ones, like the spino?
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer
Antispam: No

Post by Draconisaurus »

Kacy wrote:Dinsoaurs may not be snakes, but they're still reptiles.
Haaa haaa haah. Dinosaurs evolved from reptiles, but they're far from reptiles themselves. Many distinct differences including the fact that at least some dinosaurs were quite likely warm blooded. To be technical, dinosaurs are known as saurischians (and btw, other early Earth dwellers such as Dimetrodon were known as pelycosaurs), reptiles are.. well reptiles, lol, reptilia I think, which I think is a class. So just don't go around saying dinosaurs are reptiles because you'd be quite incorrect and they are more similar to birds. ;)
And Nick, if you want to get technical... Some scientists believe birds are highly specialized 'kind' of reptile. :?
Wow, that's interesting. Could you point out an article about that? After all, birds are warm blooded and have feathers instead of scales...
Could you at least it with your next creations and maybe 1 or 2 other major "old" big ones, like the spino?
Heh, well the Spino has already been rigged. A rather wild version of it was released at Christmas. In fact, I think SI's blurry movie-style skin is coming out for WOT... (if it has't already)
Nick3069
Albertosaurus
Albertosaurus

Post by Nick3069 »

Draconisaurus wrote:they are more similar to birds. ;)
Thank you, Draco! :)
Draconisaurus wrote:Heh, well the Spino has already been rigged. A rather wild version of it was released at Christmas. In fact, I think SI's blurry movie-style skin is coming out for WOT... (if it has't already)
Yeah, I know he already rigged the OG Spino, you might not have understod what I was trying to say. I wanted to say something more like this:
Maybe you could fix 1 or 2 major "old" big ones, like the spino, and do the same with your next creations.
Meaning that the spino is part of the "old" ones, not the "next creations".

What is that about a "wild version" of the spino?
SI's movie-style skin is already out, it came out westerday, but it's not that blurry.
Kacy
Triceratops
Triceratops

Post by Kacy »

Draconisaurus wrote:
Haaa haaa haah. Dinosaurs evolved from reptiles, but they're far from reptiles themselves. Many distinct differences including the fact that at least some dinosaurs were quite likely warm blooded. To be technical, dinosaurs are known as saurischians (and btw, other early Earth dwellers such as Dimetrodon were known as pelycosaurs), reptiles are.. well reptiles, lol, reptilia I think, which I think is a class. So just don't go around saying dinosaurs are reptiles because you'd be quite incorrect and they are more similar to birds. ;)
Wow, that's interesting. Could you point out an article about that? After all, birds are warm blooded and have feathers instead of scales...
Okay, here I go... Dinosaurs are in the Archosaur family. The only present day archosaurs are crocodylians. True, dinosaurs are very different from every reptile still alive today, but they are still classified as reptiles, reguardless. Dinosaur= "Terrible Lizard".

Dinosaurs, if not all of them, were widely endothermic creatures, but this of course does not make them mammals. Their cousins the crocodiles and alligators evolved from terrestrial forms and it is believed that such an active lifestyle made them warm-blooded as well. When a branch took to an aquatic, ambushing way of life (today's ancestors) natural selection favored a slower metebolic system and they reverted to cold-bloodedness. Crocodylians still retain four chambered hearts that hint at this.

Warm-bloodedness does not take dinosaurs out of the reptile clade. They are just specialized.

Dinosaurs and their similarity to birds go hand in hand. Dinosaurs are 'closely related' to birds. Birds have evolved into an independant species from theropods. Primitive birds even lived side by side with dinosaurs. Just like mammals evolved from therapsid reptiles, birds evolved from dinosaurs. When it comes down to it, mammals, birds, and dinosaurs all evolved from reptiles.

We all could be considered 'highly evolved reptiles'! Its just the distance natural selection has taken us from our roots.

Draco, I'll look up the article. It was published in the Scientific American. It's pretty technical but a great read if you're a dinosaur lover! I'll post it soon.
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer
Antispam: No

Post by Draconisaurus »

Hmm thanks. :) Interesting insite.. I was familiar with the bit about therapsids, that's cool how we also came from reptiles.. XD *sticks out tongue in slithering fasion*
Kacy
Triceratops
Triceratops

Post by Kacy »

The article was called Classification and Evolution of the Dinosaur Groups. Written by Thomas R. Holtz, Jr. I read it in the Scientific American Book of Dinosaurs. It has alot of info on every dino class known and how they all fit together (as good as modern science can).

Here's a part pertaining to bird and reptile relation:

Birds are a part of the Monophyletic group Reptilia. Monophyletic groups contain whole branches of the tree of life, included are ancestors and decendents. This group includes Turtles, Lepidosaurs (snakes and lizards etc.), Crocodilians and Birds. Modern systematists only use monophyletic groups when classifying animals.

Paraphyletic groups represent the decendants of a common ancestor, but exclude certain decendants that are greatly transformed. Paraphyletic Reptilia includes Turtles, Lepidosaurs and Crocodilians. Birds are not included.

Polyphyletic groups are forms that are do not share a common ancestor, but share certain similarities (Like warm-bloodedness). Haematothermia (warm blooded) Polyphyletic groups would match mammals with birds on a basis of endothermy.

It's really fascinating stuff how they work all of this out!
Draconisaurus wrote: To be technical, dinosaurs are known as saurischians (and btw, other early Earth dwellers such as Dimetrodon were known as pelycosaurs), reptiles are.. well reptiles, lol, reptilia I think, which I think is a class.
I forgot to mention last time... saurischians are actually one of the two groups of dinosaurs. Saurischians are the lizard-hipped dinosaurs. This group had theropods like Tyrannosaurus and Velociraptor. Even Brachiosaurus was lizard-hipped.

The other group was the Ornithischians (bird-hipped) Triceratops, Parasaurolophus and Ankylosaurus were bird-hipped dinosaurs.

EDIT: I moved up to a Parasaurolophus rank! :mrgreen: