JPDS MENU

Released! - Discuss progress and updates on the biggest Trespasser level endeavor ever, JPDS - a dark Tres mod by Draco and co.

Moderators: scallenger, JPDS Team

Second Illiteration
Albertosaurus
Albertosaurus

JPDS MENU

Post by Second Illiteration »

Is there still going to be a custom menu? I remember TrikeUatra was doing one, and then I modified his image a bit and came up with this:

But it also brings to mind my other idea. I think when someone beats JPDS1 is should give them a code or unlock a button on the menu that gives them access to concept images, maybe some exclusive skins, the cut scenes so they can watch them whenever. Sort of like a special features section...
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer
Antispam: No

Post by Draconisaurus »

Alright a couple notes:

TrikeUatra's first JPDS menu was released several months ago, along with several updates since, including the hidden quickload button that was disguised as the "RF" letters on the left of the menu screen (it lights up faintly when you hover above it). I'll see if I can put the whole thing online again sometime soon...

Your new menu concept looks nice! I recall that Trike liked it as well. I personally would rather have a version of the JPDS logo I created on it, however. I could definately take time later to improve it, if necessary. As for the Trespasser signage on the left, it has to go. Not only do I not want the game to be called 'Trespasser: Dark Secrets' (you know what I mean, I just want to seperate it entirely from that storyline), but it's covering up the quickload button.. :? The main menu screen is still definately up for changes, though! Thanks for the new idea. :) Again I'll upload those when I can..
Second Illiteration
Albertosaurus
Albertosaurus

Post by Second Illiteration »

I just think the Raptor should be incorporated.
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

K well we can definately see about that. Where is that raptor from, btw? (besides JP///)
Mickey
Dilophosaurus
Dilophosaurus

Post by Mickey »

Is it possible to have an interactive menu?
I mean flash?
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Unfortunately I don't think so. :? Unless BR can figure out a way to implement it... but I don't think Tres's rendering abilities were designed to handle Flash. Also animated gifs wouldn't work so much since they'd be restricted in color so much..
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

I've just realized something about why this idea with the raptor probably won't work... The way the menus have been set up by Trike, the 'central object' with the rusty plate boarder serves as the position of display for all the menus with the JPDS menu. So if you plaster a raptor onto there, it's going to be partially covered up and not look too great.. :? As an example of what I'm trying to explain, look at this pic of a menu update I just got from Trike and try to imagine it with the proposed raptor position in place:

EDIT: Notice also how the logo is positioned so that it will fit snugly under the submenus :)
Last edited by Draconisaurus on Mon Apr 02, 2007 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
TrikeUatra
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by TrikeUatra »

And I'll explain a few of the things you see here. (I'll be putting this in a Dev Journal soon, too ) :wink:

Almost insignificant point: The cursor is now red. It matches the colour scheme better than blue.

Now... the orange area I've highlighted is the area that you previously could click to toggle the checkbox. (It's not only there, but on each checkbox item + text) Look in your current menu and click the text next to a checkbox - it toggles the checkbox without you clicking on the checkbox itself, no? Well... now I've scrapped that. I have taken out the 'hotspots' (areas you can click over text) which accompany checkboxes. So in the JPDS menu you must click /on/ the checkbox to toggle it. :wink:

And you can also see a "Text Changed" option. This just proves I've been able to change the text in the menus. That previously said "Play Sound Effects". Obviously it won't stay as "Text Changed". This just shows we now have the ability to rename certain options. What we could do with this I'm uncertain of, but it's nice to know we can do /something/. Another obvious change is the colour of the text items. I've gone through the whole menu and made all text better looking and easier to read. No font changes, however (the font must be stored in the engine or something).

Also...
Draco has provided me with a list of strings in the engine, from Big Red. This contains all text instances from the menu in such a format;

00741AD4 2729 ( 0409 English ( Jump

In the DDF (menu) files, this particular string is called by this item;

25 ; Initial Text

The engine must read the 25 and then look up said text string, and thus displays the word "Jump" in the menu. I'm yet to work out how '25' takes you to that string.
This doesn't effect what I can do with editing text in the menu, though. I can just replace the '25' (in this case) with the text I want. :)
TrikeUatra
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by TrikeUatra »

Sorry for the double post but this is something separate.

So... I was just writing my Dev Journal... and was searching the forums for anything to do with menus because I needed time to think of what to say (Heh :P) and I found this;
guilherme wrote: I am finalysing a program that edits the menus...
I'd contact the ATX mader to make some better menus... like seft commands etc etc... he told me it is not possible for now ...
Althogh the program is almost done ... i am finishing to read a book just to haven't any problem... the wors way... (ups) one month more and it is done
On this topic;
http://trescom.3dactionplanet.gamespy.c ... php?t=4020

:o o.O :o

Is guilherme still active? If so this sounds really interesting. I've contacted him via PM and hopefully he'll get to it. It'd be great to find what came of this program...