Someone please help me put all the files in the right place!

Management front office desk. Ask away.

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Webteam, TresCom Board Managers

FoxWingDrgn
Dinosaur egg
Dinosaur egg

Someone please help me put all the files in the right place!

Post by FoxWingDrgn »

I've been trying to get it working for three hours. T_T
I put the cd info into: C:\tres cd.
I uninstalled tresspasser. I removed the cd.
I reinstalled it from the c drive.
I extracted the TCFinal.exe to C:\TC Setup\.
I installed the TC-Final setup to C:\tres cd.
I installed the full patch and ATX.
Then I got terrably lost. Somehow I have Map, MAPS, A ton of Data folders all over the place. I've got Data folders inside of Data folders and I've got Data folders in The tres cd folder and I've got Data folders inside of the tresspasser folder.
T_T Help!
chronzerg
Albertosaurus
Albertosaurus

Post by chronzerg »

Ok. The only data folder you should have is
c:/tres cd/data
If there is another folder that is called data folder here is what you do.
Take all the contents of this other data folder, and put copy it into "C:/tres cd/data".
Now, there is one exception. If you installed the full patch, there should be a data folder in your Game Directory (game folder). Don't copy the stuff from here.
Also, because you got the full patch, you now must take all the new levels that you install, and install them into the folder mentioned above (Trespasser Directory/data). So, take these files from your C:/tres cd/data.

TC-130.swp
TC-130.pid
TC.grf
TC.scn
TC.wtd

Those are all the level files for TC_Ops level.
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

If you have the full patch, you don't need any Trespasser\data folder. You only need the TresCD\data folder. Put those level files there, and only copy the .scn file into the Trespasser\Patch folder..
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Tres WIP: updated T-Script Reference and File Formats documents
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
chronzerg
Albertosaurus
Albertosaurus

Post by chronzerg »

No, remember machf. That folder that is created with the full patch. If you put something in the tre cd folder, and not in the trespasser/patch folder, then it gets messed up.
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

It doesn't. That's how I have Trespasser currently installed. Keep the level files in the TresCD\data folder and only copy the .scn files into the Trespasser\Patch folder [*]. You don't need the Trespasser\data folder anymore with the patch installed, either. That saves a lot of space.

[*]That doesn't apply to the original level files, I think, only to 3rd-party ones... I've left the "official" ones there (where the patch installed them), I may try later to see what happens if I move them into the TresCD\data folder instead...
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
FoxWingDrgn
Dinosaur egg
Dinosaur egg

Post by FoxWingDrgn »

Yay! It's working! Thanks guys!!! :D
TrikeUatra
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by TrikeUatra »

Can one of you guys (Chron/Machf) explain that to me, please? :?

I have a data folder in my Trespasser folder, and a Patch folder. And I have the data folder in tres cd. I put all of the files for all the levels I download in each of those. That's three copies of everything. Not good for my drive :P However, Trespasser has always worked fine for me like this, so I've not bothered doing anything about it.

Sooo... what can I delete, and where do I move and copy certain things to?
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

OK, let's see. I have the big patch installed. I have two separate Trespasser folders, a 'Trespasser' one (the installed game), and a 'TresCD' one (the installation files). They are in different partitions, but that isn't necessarily the case. (I originally did this to see what files I would have to burn to a CD in order to have an 'alternate' Trespasser CD to insert on the CD-ROM drive to play the game without having to keep any unnecessary files on the HDD, to play 3rd-party levels, but in the end I've kept them on the HDD)

My 'Trespasser' folder has only two folders[*] inside (not counting the ATX ones): 'menu' and 'Patch'. Inside ' Patch', there are the original (well, patched, but you get the idea) .grf, .scn, .wtd and .pid files, as well as any 3rd-party .scn files. (There are also some backup copies of the other files, but those don't count)

My 'TresCD' folder doesn't contain any files, and a single sub-folder, 'data'. Inside the 'data' folder there is a 'menu' folder (I must check if I can get rid of one of the 'menu' folders...), and the following files:
  • All .scn, .grf, .pid., .wtd and .spz/.swp files for any levels (original and 3rd-party ones)
    All 4 original .tpa files (ambient, Effects, Menu and Stream) (the modified ones are in the 'Trespasser' folder)
    3rd-party .asa and .asb files
    3rd-part .txt files
So, you could delete any other folders (just to make sure, move them elsewhere first and see if everything works fine), add any 3rd-party level files to the TresCD\data folder and copy their .scn files into the Trespasser\Patch folder. If you edit any level with TresEd, be sure to copy the new .scn file to the Trespasser\Patch folder again.

[*]It also has a lot of .exe, .dll, savegame and other files, but I'm talking about the folders here.

EDIT: OK, some additional testing shows that the TresCD\data\menu folder only needs the 4 original .smk files in it. That's another 22-23MB saved (all the other 195 files are already in the Trespasser\data folder, and are read from there).
TrikeUatra
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by TrikeUatra »

Thanx for the instructions. I followed them OK (except for the apparent confusion as to whether there should be a Trespasser/data folder or not). :wink:

However, what I've found is that I can't play anything but the 8 original levels. I've no idea why. :? I've restored everything I moved, so all the level files for everything are in Trespasser/data, tres cd/data, and Trespasser/Patch.

I'll continue to test them, and try and see what's up :P
Mickey
Dilophosaurus
Dilophosaurus

Post by Mickey »

in other words don't install the big Patch :P
chronzerg
Albertosaurus
Albertosaurus

Post by chronzerg »

What does the patch fix anywayz. Some physics glitches or something. I big patch changes some things in the levels, but what about the small one. :?: :idea: :!: :o
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

TrikeUatra wrote:Thanx for the instructions. I followed them OK (except for the apparent confusion as to whether there should be a Trespasser/data folder or not). :wink:

However, what I've found is that I can't play anything but the 8 original levels. I've no idea why.
Did you remember to copy any 3rd-party .scn files into the Trespasser\Patch folder? They're needed there in order to be able to load them...

Just in case, here are some key entries from my registry:

Code: Select all

"Data Drive"="Q:\\TresCD\"
"Run File"="F:\\Trespasser\\trespass.exe"
"Installed Directory"="F:\\Trespasser\"
"Patch Dir"="F:\\Trespasser\\Patch\"
Check to see if you have something similar...
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

chronzerg wrote:What does the patch fix anywayz. Some physics glitches or something. I big patch changes some things in the levels, but what about the small one. :?: :idea: :!: :o
From the .txt files included with both patches:
PatchEXEOnly.txt wrote:---------------------------------------------
Trespasser Upgrade (English) Executables Only
Upgrade to V1.1, November 25th 1998
---------------------------------------------

Contents
========

This program will upgrade your version 1.0 installation of Trespasser to version 1.1. This mainly is a bug fix release; for a description of the various fixes, see section 2.

Note: This upgrade program will only update the Trespasser executables - this does not include the level data fixes! A version of this upgrade program that also updates the level data is available. Please contact the vendor where you obtained this upgrade for further information.

Section 1 - Upgrade Instructions
================================

Trespasser must be installed.
Be sure you have 10MB of disk space available (on the drive containing your current Trespasser install).
Insert the Trespasser CD into your CD drive.
Run the patch program and follow the on-screen instructions.

Section 2 - Bug Fixes
=====================

Jump consistency.
Object pickup tweaked to avoid unnecessary dragging.
Keypad interaction tuned.
Interpenetration of compound, physical objects fixed.
Centering aim from mouse command removed.
Optimized box-box interaction and world queries.
Occasional object disappearance.

c1998 DreamWorks Interactive L.L.C. All rights reserved. DreamWorks Interactive is a trademark of DreamWorks L.L.C. The Lost World: Jurassic ParkT & c 1998 Universal City Studios, Inc. and Amblin Entertainment, Inc. Trespasser is a trademark of Universal City Studios, Inc. and Amblin Entertainment, Inc. Licensed by Universal Studios Licensing, Inc. All rights reserved. .Electronic Arts and the Electronic Arts logo are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts in the U.S. and/or other countries. All other trademarks are properties of their respective owners. All rights reserved.
Patch.txt wrote:-----------------------------------------
Trespasser Upgrade (English) Full Version
Upgrade to V1.1, November 24th 1998
-----------------------------------------

Contents
========

This program will upgrade your version 1.0 installation of Trespasser to version 1.1. This mainly is a bug fix release; for a description of the various fixes, see section 2.

This upgrade program will update the Trespasser executables and level data. A version of this upgrade program that only updates the executables is also available - it does not contain all of the fixes, but it is a lot smaller and requires less disk space. Please contact the vendor where you obtained this upgrade for further information.

Section 1 - Upgrade Instructions
================================

Trespasser must be installed.
Be sure you have 50MB of disk space available (on the drive containing your current Trespasser install).
Insert the Trespasser CD into your CD drive.
Run the patch program and follow the on-screen instructions.

Section 2 - Bug Fixes
=====================

Jump consistency.
Object pickup tweaked to avoid unnecessary dragging.
Keypad interaction tuned.
Interpenetration of compound, physical objects fixed.
Centering aim from mouse command removed.
Optimized box-box interaction and world queries.
Occasional object disappearance.
Floating objects.
Adjusted terrain texture resolution.

Section 3 - Known Issues
========================

If Trespasser is uninstalled after the patch has been applied, the patch directory will remain. It is advised that this directory be deleted by hand as it consumes 45Mb of disk space.

©1998 DreamWorks Interactive L.L.C. All rights reserved. DreamWorks Interactive is a trademark of DreamWorks L.L.C. The Lost World: Jurassic Park © 1998 Universal City Studios, Inc. and Amblin Entertainment, Inc. Trespasser is a trademark of Universal City Studios, Inc. and Amblin Entertainment, Inc. Licensed by Universal Studios Licensing, Inc. All rights reserved. .Electronic Arts and the Electronic Arts logo are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts in the U.S. and/or other countries. All other trademarks are properties of their respective owners. All rights reserved.
TrikeUatra
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by TrikeUatra »

machf wrote: Did you remember to copy any 3rd-party .scn files into the Trespasser\Patch folder? They're needed there in order to be able to load them...
Yep :)
machf wrote: Just in case, here are some key entries from my registry:

Code: Select all

"Data Drive"="Q:\\TresCD\"
"Run File"="F:\\Trespasser\\trespass.exe"
"Installed Directory"="F:\\Trespasser\"
"Patch Dir"="F:\\Trespasser\\Patch\"
Check to see if you have something similar...
Aha... My Data Drive was set to "I:" which is the virtual image of the Trespasser CD I have (just in case I lose the CD) :P I've changed it to "C:\tres cd", so I'll go test the levels now...

UPDATE: No such luck. Apparently it doesn't recognise "C:\tres cd" as the CD. It asks me to insert the CD there... :?
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

You forgot the trailing backslash ("\") at the end of the pathname, it's required...