Hillside Research Station Facility *update August 9*

Released! - Discuss progress and updates on the biggest Trespasser level endeavor ever, JPDS - a dark Tres mod by Draco and co.

Moderators: scallenger, JPDS Team

MikeTheRaptor
-=TresCom Website Manager=-
Antispam: No

Hillside Research Station Facility *update August 9*

Post by MikeTheRaptor »

Ok so me and Draco were talking, and I came up with this idea about what we can do to make the Ridge Facility more interesting.

I recently beat Resident Evil 4 and was intriuged by some of their locations, and so I decided... wouldn't it be awesome to have somethin' like that in Trespasser?

Well... why not??

The idea is, the ridge facility actually seems quite small from the outside, but inside there is a doorway leading into the ridge itself, where hidden experiments (or whatever you guys think would be nice for this place) were conducted.

I think it should be very creepy and cramped inside the ridge, and I've drawn a concept image of a hallway using basic ideas I'd like to see implimented.

(Don't mind the sloppy handwriting :D )

So what do you think? I thought maybe some slowly swaying lights overhead would darken the mood as well. I'm lookin' for extreme creepiness in the place!

I was thinking... maybe a scripted event could lock the player inside until a puzzle is solved for even more claustrophobia!

Anyhow!! Let's discuss!

* Just to clarify... the roughly penciled in bar stretching accross both walls is a handle bar, the curved lines are wires. Note also that it will probably be much narrower that it is in the picture.

** Err.. and it looks like I put '04 instead of '05 at the bottom right. Whoops!
Last edited by MikeTheRaptor on Tue Aug 09, 2005 3:56 am, edited 3 times in total.
MikeTheRaptor

Post by MikeTheRaptor »

CORRECTION! This is actually the "Hill Side Facility." I miss understood, and ended up moving it up against a ridge...

Anyhow, here's s'more concept work!

The first picture is just overhead pipes, the second has a ventalation shaft and the third has a panel attached to the right wall.
MikeTheRaptor

Post by MikeTheRaptor »

More concept images...

Both pictures give a better view of the panel on the side. I also added those hinge-things to hold the pipes in place and moved the big pipe over a little.

Believe it or not, this model is low-rez (with the exception of the wires which I can easily cut down) enough to put into Tres right now, but this is just a concept anyhow.

We still need to figure out what exactally to use this place for, though!!
JPXTom
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

Post by JPXTom »

Looks very interesting...keep up the concepts!
Mickey
Dilophosaurus
Dilophosaurus

Post by Mickey »

very nice can't wait to put that in a level :)
Second Illiteration
Albertosaurus
Albertosaurus

Post by Second Illiteration »

I have an idea what it could be used for....
DemonCarnotaur
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

Post by DemonCarnotaur »

That reminds me of that place that Ellie turned the power on in JP it also looks like the place with the water and the raptor in the hall from the TLW concept, looks cool and a very creepy place, I cant wait to see more of it!
(Well, I was once part of the JPDS team)
- ChrisLikesDinos - JurassicOutpost - JurassicForums -
http://jurassicoutpost.com/
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

DemonCarnotaur wrote:That reminds me of that place that Ellie turned the power on in JP it also looks like the place with the water and the raptor in the hall from the TLW concept, looks cool and a very creepy place, I cant wait to see more of it!
LOL that's pretty much exactly what it's patterned after, plus some original concepting. Like I said looking good Mike! :yes:
MikeTheRaptor

Post by MikeTheRaptor »

What you see here is the "Containment Center" mentioned in the story concept on another post. The room is about two stories high. The clearly undeveloped holding pens are towards the right. One of them will have a raptor inside.

The little windowed room on the far wall is the "Control Center." It controls the pens and monitoring equipment in the room.

Quick summary... the player opens a holding pen with a raptor inside. Monitoring equipment detects the dinosaur and locks the room. The player must kill the dinosaur to unlock the doors. Inside the previously locked holding pen is the keycard to open the door which led the player into the facility in the first place.

Across the hall will be an armory with a weapon or two left behind, so the player can kill the raptor. There'll probably also be a gun inside the containment room incase the player misses out on the stash next door.
DemonCarnotaur
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

Post by DemonCarnotaur »

How would a rap be alive inside the pen?
(Well, I was once part of the JPDS team)
- ChrisLikesDinos - JurassicOutpost - JurassicForums -
http://jurassicoutpost.com/
MikeTheRaptor

Post by MikeTheRaptor »

The place isn't abandoned... according to my understanding of the script, there were people on the island working regularly until recently.

A document in the Control Center will make it clear the raptor was recently put there by members of the rouge faction.

Really, I just want to see if this works. A raptor inside will really catch the player off gaurd and the place is designed so the raptor has room to move.
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Great stuff Mike! Let's see, if I understand it correctly, the front door to the HRS (Hillside Research Station) locks once the player enters it. So, they are forced to explore around, to find a way out (either a sep. passageway or a way to unlock the door, they wouldn't really know yet). Eventually they come across the Containment Center. Now maybe it looks dangerous to them and they don't want to get involved, or maybe they remember from playing previously that there is a raptor in here and they don't want to fight it. But in order to get out of the station, there is no other way so they must come in here and unleash the rap. The door to this room subsequentially locks, sensing the presance of the rap. So you have to kill it. Once the rap is dead (how do we make a trigger for that?), the door will reopen. Now inside the room the raptor came from, there is the keycard that lets you open the front door again. You couldn't have just taken it and left because the door to this room locked. That's all what you have in mind, right? If so it sounds good. One thing we should add though: a reason to come back. If the point of exploring this place is just to get out, no one will come back to it when they play again. :P So we need to put something valueble in here. I think it's really too far away to have like, a keycard for the EA, but maybe a really good weapon or something (BTW I plan to have Denis's mace in the Worker Village). Or perhaps there is a thing that lets you unlock a door to somplace else in level 1... who knows but there needs to be something. :yes:
MikeTheRaptor

Post by MikeTheRaptor »

You got it, Draco :D

As for making a trigger for locking/unlocking doors, I'm pretty sure we can set up a trigger to detect the presence of a raptor. Simple code which, when a raptor is detected, the door is locked, when it isn't detected, the door is unlocked - basically working just like the fictional motoring equipment inside.

I'll have to look deeper into that, though... even if triggers to detect the raptor and lock the door aren't possible, theres probably a way to work around that and get the same effect. Once again, I'll look into it and change plans accordingly :yes:
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

OK since I've got the pics I'm gonna update this thread on the current HRS progress. Mike has finished the Security Building model, and I took a few days to edit it and fix it up so it could be imported, along with making invisible instances for it (which ended up not working :? maybe cause they were too big) and got it into the level (finally).

Also I'm seeing now that we've neglected to update this thread in a while heh so here are the 2 main maps that have been made in the meantime of the HRS:

This one was made by me a while back when we were just starting to figure out what this place was for:

Then recently Mike went into TresEd and patched together a placement map using terrain objects in the actual level for building positions:

So yeah that's current progress on the HRS. The SecBuild is officially the first JPDS building, w00t!!!!! :D
Mickey
Dilophosaurus
Dilophosaurus

Post by Mickey »

Great Work :wink: