TC Isle screenshot under Linux

A discussion and "how to" of running Trespasser under the Linux operating system. You do not have to be registered for posting in this forum!

Moderators: scallenger, Dapper Dan, TresCom Support Team

Dapper Dan
-=TresCom Elder=-
-=TresCom Elder=-

Post by Dapper Dan »

Rebel wrote: (Reckon it can't render transparent textures)
If the windshield thing and the absence of fog were the result you got in Windows, how would you approach resolving it? See, I have *some* Windows type control from the emulator side, though there's not much I can do from the Linux side, if that makes any sense. If I knew where and how to approach these or similar problems in Windows, that would really clue me in to finding a way to tweak the emulator settings for a better result. Any thoughts will be appreciated! Thanks! :)
"I have discovered an ancient tribe of those who still hold a candle for this dead, and forgotten Videonic Gamen... the Forgotten people."
Dapper Dan
-=TresCom Elder=-
-=TresCom Elder=-

Post by Dapper Dan »

madppiper wrote:....bet it runs way smoother there too ... hehe
After installing Trespasser, be sure to also install TresEd. IsToR and I did everything imaginable trying to crash TresEd in Linux but couldn't, and all the tools work flawlessly! :)
"I have discovered an ancient tribe of those who still hold a candle for this dead, and forgotten Videonic Gamen... the Forgotten people."
madppiper
-=TresCom Website Manager=-
-=TresCom Website Manager=-

Post by madppiper »

hehe, I bet i can make it crash... I'm a natural talent, you know? ;)
Slugger
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-
Antispam: No

Post by Slugger »

madppiper wrote:hehe, I bet i can make it crash... I'm a natural talent, you know? ;)
A lot of people seem to have that bizarre talent MP, especially my parents... :lol:
0066521C: 'Cannot create local swap file - Is Trespasser installed??',0Ah,0
"Cold lino was the driving force behind world power!"
Mickey
Dilophosaurus
Dilophosaurus

Post by Mickey »

Slugger wrote:
madppiper wrote:hehe, I bet i can make it crash... I'm a natural talent, you know? ;)
A lot of people seem to have that bizarre talent MP, especially my parents... :lol:
Should be the other way around :P
Dapper Dan
-=TresCom Elder=-
-=TresCom Elder=-

Post by Dapper Dan »

Slugger wrote: A lot of people seem to have that bizarre talent MP, especially my parents... :lol:
Oh come on now, crashing a computer requires no talent it all... if you use Windows! :lol:
Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Rebel »

Yup, easy to do, I just did it. Give me a few moments and I can do again!

:D

Regardless, I still like windows.... the platform is easy to use.
Dapper Dan
-=TresCom Elder=-
-=TresCom Elder=-

Post by Dapper Dan »

So is Linux, as long as you don't insist on playing Trespasser with it! :lol:
IsToR
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by IsToR »

Dapper Dan wrote:Great news! I went back and nabbed Winex 3.1, that is if you will remember, the last edition of Winex that didn't corrupt the video to an unplayable degree, and... well have a look!

Here's the really exiting part! There is NO slowdown like before when I played regular Trespasser in hardware with Winex 3.1 when animate objects are in frame!

Y'all try and help me figure out why this is so! What is it that was done differently that enables me to play TC-Isle normally in hardware, that won't allow me to play the regular game without the slowdown??!

You'll notice from this shot that there is no fog either. Any idea why that might be?

I just passed the B-29! You guys deserve a standing ovation for your hard work! TC-Isle is MUCH appreciated by this old horse! :)
I know why there's no slowdown. It's because no objects are bump mapped. That's why ;)
Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Rebel »

IsToR wrote:I know why there's no slowdown. It's because no objects are bump mapped. That's why ;)
You might be right. The thought cross my mind as well, but I don't know if that by itself is the one and only cause. But Hell, might be that and that alone.
Dapper Dan
-=TresCom Elder=-
-=TresCom Elder=-

Post by Dapper Dan »

IsToR wrote:I know why there's no slowdown. It's because no objects are bump mapped. That's why ;)
Hi IsToR! Haven't seen you in a while! If I remember correctly, you edited the original game in such a way that the slowdown did not occur with Winex 3.1. I'll have to see if I can find that thread. If I can't, how did you do it?
Any idea on what could be done to correct the psychedelic windows or the absence of fog? There may be a way to fix it by either editing one of the game files, or changing the setting in Point2Play. :)
Dapper Dan
-=TresCom Elder=-
-=TresCom Elder=-

Post by Dapper Dan »

This is what happened when I tried to pull my screwdriver out of the grate! :lol:
Slugger
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Slugger »

Anyone know why Anne's arm becomes like an elastic rubber band? It's happened to me several times.
Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Rebel »

Physics, snafu. Mainly, I've noticed that the rubber arm happens if you grab hold of an object that's stuck. All of a sudden, Anne decides to get a super-grip on the object and doesn't want to let go.
Slugger
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Slugger »

I've dropped something, turned around and trotted off, then turned back to see a trail made of Anne's arm. :lol: