The Lab - Survivor

Discuss the game Trespasser here!

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Board Managers

Dapper Dan
-=TresCom Elder=-
-=TresCom Elder=-

Post by Dapper Dan »

What do you mean? *Boom*, as in this intiates a new line of discussion about a failed coffee plantation, or *Boom*, since it was a failed coffee plantation, that somehow invalidates the entire line of discussion?
"I have discovered an ancient tribe of those who still hold a candle for this dead, and forgotten Videonic Gamen... the Forgotten people."
madppiper
-=TresCom Website Manager=-

Post by madppiper »

lol.... :mrgreen:

uhm...

well....

LOL
Dapper Dan
-=TresCom Elder=-
-=TresCom Elder=-

Post by Dapper Dan »

I guess they've really done it. The German Army has finally pushed madppiper over the edge... :cry:
"I have discovered an ancient tribe of those who still hold a candle for this dead, and forgotten Videonic Gamen... the Forgotten people."
John Parker Hammond
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by John Parker Hammond »

lol
John Parker Hammond, letting go of the stresses of INGEN"
-----------------------------------------------
INGEN CEO/Founder
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

As long as it isn't the other way around... :wink:
Asjad
Compsognathus
Compsognathus
Antispam: No

Post by Asjad »

i Cant understand what this topic is about???! :?:
don vercetti
Compsognathus
Compsognathus

Post by don vercetti »

Read the beginning ;)

Great discussions and theories folks!

but now about the theory-book:

Heh.. Well, lol... what can I say?

There are very interesting theories among the more 'silly' ones :wink:. I love mysteries...
What's that Wyckoff psychological thingy??
:?

Well Rexy, you'd better have an own section at the forums here so everyone can discuss those mysteries..

//D
Rexy40
-=Alpha Wolf=-
-=Alpha Wolf=-

Post by Rexy40 »

What's that Wyckoff psychological thingy??
A hell of a clever joke. If you'll note the "Pyramid of Happiness" the items include Sno-cones, Puppy Dogs, Sunshine, Women (oh yeah), and Trespasser. But the "Cube of Depression" includes all of the items on the board, meaning the "Happiness" items can be depressing.

Sno-Cones melt, Puppy Dogs piss on ya/carpet, Sunshine=sunburns, Women=golddiggers(sometimes), and Trespasser, which was a strain on the designers and their families.

It's a bit confusing, but it's a clever joke of sorts.
~TresCom Ops: Public Relations, Beta Tester
~TresCity: Webmaster (Updated 6-21-04)
~TresNovel: Author

Woah man, woah.
MikeTheRaptor

Post by MikeTheRaptor »

To fully understand this theory, we need to take a look at the history of Trespasser's Isla Sorna.

Back in the 1400's to 1500's, the Aztecs were the first peoples to settle Isla Sorna (and the other islands included in the chain). If I remember correctly, the natives were supersticious of the island for whatever reason.

I'd assume by the 1800's, the Aztecs were long gone. Spanish explorers found the island built the original Plantation house. During this time, Spanish plantations were worked by Native Indian or African slaves. By the time Spain's colonies recieved independance, the plantation was deserted obviously due to its small size, secluded location, and lack of affordable labor.

Early 1900's, Isla Sorna and its surrounding islands would be uninhabited for around 80-100 years.

By 1980, Hammond and his company were searching for a secluded area with a proper climate for his experiments. They found Isla Sorna and decided it was the perfect place.

- Thats my theory, take it or leave it!! Good to be back... -

As for Hammond's house looking old...

I would assume Hammond had his house immensly stylized. This would make sense if your looking at Hammond in his book personality and even still as Hammond from the movie. John also had ancient Aztec artifacts discovered on the island used to decorate his home.

The house deffinately looked at least 100 years old, but lets not forget the toll the jungle will take on an un-maintanainced house over several years. Not to mention the Aztec decorations Hammond probably would have retrieved from the ruins scattered throughout the island.
Slugger
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Slugger »

I know someone already said this, but oh well:

What if the town was built on an already existing town? Hammond said in a voice-over how hard it was to build the town, so maybe they had to bulldoze a lot of building over to clear the way? They left the church standing because it could double as a town hall and a place for the construction workers to worship (= and it saved money since they didn't have to knock it down) and Hammond liked the large house, so they just renovated it. The original town could have been a spanish colony seaking indepenence or something.
0066521C: 'Cannot create local swap file - Is Trespasser installed??',0Ah,0
"Cold lino was the driving force behind world power!"
Dapper Dan
-=TresCom Elder=-
-=TresCom Elder=-

Post by Dapper Dan »

All good points Slugger.

Upon one's arrival in Burroughs, two things come sharply into contrast. New looking buildings and old looking buildings. Hammond's house, the saloon and the Church especially, look very old and are in a worse state of repair than any of the new looking buildings. Why?

It also doesn't make sense to me that those buildings were made to look old. Why would you purposely make some buildings look new and some look old? It is more logical that they would have been consistent in their design, whether giving the town a new or an old look.

Why would InGen build a church for its team or the workers? That just doesn't make sense either. The bio-engineers and scientist likely had very few among them of the Christian persuasion, and the workers could have had religious services anywhere. I don't think InGen would have gone to the expense of building them a church. Building workers a place to worship would not have fallen under the terms of InGen's responsibility.

Why would Hammond build himself an opulent palace, then force everyone else to live in those crummy little hovels? As any head of a major undertaking would instinctively know, you don't set yourself up and away on a pedestal from the people you work with. Hammond would have been smart enough to know that would cause dissension among the troops, and also would be a waste of valuable resources that could be spent on research. If on the other hand, Hammond's house was already there, I don't think anyone would have objected to his moving into it after it was renovated.

Woo's house is certainly nicer than the other houses, but still is modest by comparison. Modest enough not to cause dissension, especially if he occasionally had everyone over for pool parties! :yes:

To believe the church and mansion was built by InGen, I think you have to accept all of what I consider to be highly implausible assertions:

1. The plantation house was the one and only structure built on Isla Sorna in the 1800's.
2. The inhabitants of that plantation were the only ones on the island.
3. InGen built Burroughs from scratch, yet built some new buildings to look new, but chose to make other new structures look old.
4. The greater deterioration to the mansion, church and saloon, which isn't evident to the same extent in the other structures, is just a coincidence.
5. InGen built the church which is a pretty permanent looking structure, for either religious bio-engineers and scientists, or for the workers.

I believe that Hammond and his staff, upon looking the island over, decided to build Burroughs on the remains of an existing and abandoned town. Here they found some structures which were not so far gone that they could not be recovered and used with a little work. The buildings they found that could not be salvaged, were torn down, and new buildings and houses were erected in their place.

To me, this is the best explaination why Burroughs appears as it does.
don vercetti
Compsognathus
Compsognathus

Post by don vercetti »

Wow! Guys, you should have a prize for this..
No I mean it! Why can't a new part of the forum be opened? A section that only contains mysteries and such (about Trespasser or Jurassic Park) where everyone can put their theories and stuff. It seems like it's a common and very interesting subject.

Just my thoughts ;)

//D
John Parker Hammond
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by John Parker Hammond »

bravo! you have uncovered the myster of burroughs!
John Parker Hammond, letting go of the stresses of INGEN"
-----------------------------------------------
INGEN CEO/Founder
Slugger
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Slugger »

Maybe the buildings were designed for another level? Perhaps in Pine Valley you would come across a small village, complete with saloon, mansion, and church. But since Pine Valley was cut, they just added them to the town, to spice things up.
0066521C: 'Cannot create local swap file - Is Trespasser installed??',0Ah,0
"Cold lino was the driving force behind world power!"
MikeTheRaptor

Post by MikeTheRaptor »

Well the church is there for obvious reasons. The Costa Rican workers were there for an extended period of time. In smaller developing nations and Spanish speaking nations, a church is important to the lower class. In order to keep the workers content, the church was built.

(Supporting this... there is a crucifix in a worker dormitory)

Take it a step further, any high-rank member of inGen could have been extremely religious and, in planning for the town, suggested a church be built. Due to his superiotity, his request may have been granted.

It is possible the town was built over an existing site, though. Hammond, upon inspecting the old village may have decided he would keep some old buildings to preserve the island's past. After restoring the old mansion he decided it would be his home away from home.