The Lab - Survivor

Discuss the game Trespasser here!

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Board Managers

Dapper Dan
-=TresCom Elder=-
-=TresCom Elder=-

Post by Dapper Dan »

mega raptor wrote:To me, neither makes sense. I find it hard to believe that the people on the plantation built a second house, salloon, and church several miles away.
No one ever suggested that the people of the plantation built the town structures in question. It is reasonable to assume though, that since we know there was one plantation house on Isla Sorna, there easily might have been others as well. If there were several growers, there would necessarily have to be at least a minimal amount of infrastructure. It isn't hard to imagine there were several plantations growing tobacco, rice, bannanas, indigo, cocaine or other raw materials and consumer goods. Such an agricultural environment would invite a system of commerce in which merchants would sell supplies to the plantation owners, and a port would be built so they could ship their goods to market. All of this having taken place at least a hundred years ago.
mega raptor wrote:It also doesn't make sense that InGen would of wanted some of there structures to look older than they really were. If you ask me, the desighners basicly screwed up.
I agree, the designers likely just screwed up. Still, it's fun to surmise and suppose and try to iron out seeming inconsistencies and have it all make sense! :)
"I have discovered an ancient tribe of those who still hold a candle for this dead, and forgotten Videonic Gamen... the Forgotten people."
Dapper Dan
-=TresCom Elder=-
-=TresCom Elder=-

Post by Dapper Dan »

hilwo wrote:I think that the plantation house was there for maybe a hundred years before the InGen party arrived at the island. And I also keep believing that they wanted certain parts of the town to look old. Remember the big gate in the first film?

Also, check out these voiceovers of Anne, describing Hammonds house:
236. Very nice, John.
237. Anne Living room, dining room, hardwood floors… lovely.
238. Anne Modern kitchen, high ceilings…
239. Anne A guest bedroom for visiting mad scientists.
240. Anne Master bedroom. Very nice.
241. Anne You've got to be kidding me. "Welcome to my Island, no don't try to escape, let me tell you my plan".
242. Anne Secret compartment. Ooh, ahh!
But doesn't everything Anne says in those voice overs, exactly describe an old home that has been renovated for modern living?
There are three things she describes that are not consistent with very many newly built homes, and completely consistent with very old houses, those being, hardwood floors, high ceilings and secret compartments. The only thing described as "new" is the kitchen. I, and perhaps Rebel can say from experience, that any time an old home is restored or remodeled, it is almost a certainty that the kitchen and bathrooms will have to be redone so they are up to date and modern.
"I have discovered an ancient tribe of those who still hold a candle for this dead, and forgotten Videonic Gamen... the Forgotten people."
madppiper
-=TresCom Website Manager=-

Post by madppiper »

Actually, the hole thing doesn't really make much sense to me. These are supposed to old houses... at least a hundred years old. And they're all having that nice southern-american plantation look.

Guys' we're on an island off costa-rica there. I seriously doubt that any american citizen got to visit or live at that place a hundred+ years ago. I would have expected some Puerto-Rican or crappy Mexican houses... but nothing like that...
Dapper Dan
-=TresCom Elder=-
-=TresCom Elder=-

Post by Dapper Dan »

madppiper, the agrarian American South was not the only place during the antebellum period that fostered the plantation system. Plantations existed in most parts of the western hemisphere during that time where it was agriculturally feasible.
The plantation system also existed in Jamaica, Haiti, the Bahamas, and in "Middle America" from Guatemala all the way to Panama, and even in South American countries like Brazil.
Just because we know it was a plantation house doesn't mean the folks who inhabited it were "Americans" from the United States.
The plantation house was probably owned by wealthy planters from one of the surrounding counties, likely Costa Rica.
According to this page, Costa Rica's chief agricultural exports are coffee, bananas, sugar and pineapples. I imagine one or all of these products would have been cultivated on Isla Sorna during the period we think the plantation house was "operational." :)
tresman
Gallimimus
Gallimimus

Post by tresman »

It's been a while since I've been around here, but these are the conversations I love! :D
Rexy40
-=Alpha Wolf=-
-=Alpha Wolf=-

Post by Rexy40 »

Here's a theory:

The town isn't far from the harbor/lab. The harbor would've been the area for loading, unloading supplies. No buildings built there because of the surf, probably. The buildings in town were built for protection from the weather, chiefly hurricanes. There could have been older buildings in town, that were torn down when InGen came. Otherwise, you have a store, saloon, church, and mansion. That mansion could support a few people, anyway. Maybe the mansion was once a hotel, used for rich people back in the day (this would also explain the rooms above the saloon.)

The plantation house had it's harbor (Kathy's beach), and it's possible the works went to town every so often for supplies.

*leaves*
Slugger
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-
Antispam: No

Post by Slugger »

What if Hammond added on to an even older house? Maybe another colony tried to start something earlier, then left? Or perhaps whoever had Isla Sorna before InGen had a small town there?
0066521C: 'Cannot create local swap file - Is Trespasser installed??',0Ah,0
"Cold lino was the driving force behind world power!"
Dapper Dan
-=TresCom Elder=-
-=TresCom Elder=-

Post by Dapper Dan »

Rexy40 wrote:Here's a theory:

The town isn't far from the harbor/lab. The harbor would've been the area for loading, unloading supplies. No buildings built there because of the surf, probably. The buildings in town were built for protection from the weather, chiefly hurricanes. There could have been older buildings in town, that were torn down when InGen came. Otherwise, you have a store, saloon, church, and mansion. That mansion could support a few people, anyway. Maybe the mansion was once a hotel, used for rich people back in the day (this would also explain the rooms above the saloon.)

The plantation house had it's harbor (Kathy's beach), and it's possible the works went to town every so often for supplies.

*leaves*
An EXCELLENT theory Rexy! I wish I'd thought of it! :yes:
Dapper Dan
-=TresCom Elder=-
-=TresCom Elder=-

Post by Dapper Dan »

Another thing. It's not called "The Jungle road for nothing! Though there is evidence InGen used the road for it's own purposes, it seems highly unlikely they would have gone to such trouble without paving it or running electrical lines beside it as they did with other roads. I think the Jungle road also predates InGen, and was one of the main arteries across the Island.

Back in the day of it's use, there would not have been automobiles, thus it would have been no problem for mules, burros or horses to make their way through the stone canyon. The stone canyon may have been the reason the road was built all the way to it to begin with.

We've got all the levels except PV and maybe "The River", how hard would it be to eliminate the newer structures and make Isla Sorna look as it did in the 1800's?
Rexy40
-=Alpha Wolf=-
-=Alpha Wolf=-

Post by Rexy40 »

How about we just Rebel. He's old enough, he's seen it all.

j/k Reb, no offence to ya.

It's more than possibe that the jungle road was used for transport into town, but once again, it would've been a tiresome trek, but how would one get back up from the town? I mean, I haven't seen a good road leading from the high cliff in IJ to the town. How would they get back from the town? I myself think they used boat. Going by the maps, it'd would've took a few hours. It seems like they used boat.
Rexy40
-=Alpha Wolf=-
-=Alpha Wolf=-

Post by Rexy40 »

then again, there was PV. PV could've been a plantation spot, hot water nearby for baths.
Dapper Dan
-=TresCom Elder=-
-=TresCom Elder=-

Post by Dapper Dan »

There may have been bridges that have long since rotted away in the tropical environment. There may also have been alternate trails that were eventually forgotten.

This is a volcanic island right? It also stands to reason there could have been geologic upheavles in certain locations that developed over a hundred years or so..
Dapper Dan
-=TresCom Elder=-
-=TresCom Elder=-

Post by Dapper Dan »

Maybe it was the island's vulcanism and geologic upheavels that caused the planters and merchants to eventually give up and abandon the island..
Hilwo_guest

Post by Hilwo_guest »

Ow yeah, it was a coffee plantation and is over a hundred years old:

"A failed coffee plantation of the 1860's. Fields were marked out by stone walls… And to the west, the ruins of the plantation house still stand."

-Hilwo
madppiper

Post by madppiper »

*BOOM!* there goes another neat discussion... lol