The Little Stuff

Released! - TresCom Ops' TC Act 2 Archive Forum.

Moderators: scallenger, Hilwo, Kovu

Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

The Little Stuff

Post by Rebel »

Remdul, check out the pic below. Can you improve upon this model for me? I plan on placing something like this on the backside of the island partly buried beneath the sand of the beach with some other little pieces of crate wood lying about. The hole in the side of the crate is there since I was thinking of hiding of handgun inside. Some players may not even think of reaching in, but it's nice to hide a few weapons here n' there.

http://www.geocities.com/lastrebel41/im ... mcrate.jpg

*You probably noticed the trees lying down, dead leaves too. I was just messin' around with an idea for a section of shoreline beyond the b29 wreck. T'was thinking about either a storm-damaged area, palm trees down, or even a patch of burnt grass with smoked up trees and and perhaps a busted palm tree or two to represent a recent fire, with maybe some small palm saplings just taking root similar to pic below. I like trying to create various landscape scenes whenever possible, just don't know about the ideas. I kinda like the idea of a little burnt out area though, perhaps use 3 different burnt palm trees (no leaves) and have some new greenery and palm sprouts rising up from the ashes.

http://www.geocities.com/lastrebel41/im ... apling.jpg
Last edited by Rebel on Mon Jun 14, 2004 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Remdul
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Remdul »

Sure, I can make a few more variations of the palms, no biggie. Crate's a good idea too.

I'll burn down a few palms, trees, no problem on that either. They'll look something like this...

http://www.stanford.edu/~maxe/hourglass/

Oh those poor, once lovely, palms! :cry:

Caverns update:
Finished up on the details, am now merging all the little models, chopping them up into sections. I attached the tunnel end to the cavern start, looks good, though I'm a little worried about the space between the terrain and the cavern floor. Not sure how much room there was left bit it'll work out I guess. Max got a little unstable on me, keeps crashing every once in a while, corrupting files. Thank God I'm so paranoid that I always save files twice :P . Doesn't mean I had to do some parts over several times because of this, but its a bit frustrating and time consuming... Anywoo, hope to have it done by the weekend. :)
Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Rebel »

Thanks for the update thar, bro. If you can, create a burnt grass ground texture (solid, I'll create the edge one from that) as well. Glad you liked the crate idea too, seemed rather neat to me. I'll await the delivery!

Can't wait to bring the remainder of the caverns together... looks awesome. ;) I'm somewhat paranoid myself -- I backup the level every week or so.
Remdul
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Remdul »

More palms! :yum:

http://home.planet.nl/~buijs512/trescom/palms_plus.jpg

And the zip:

http://home.planet.nl/~buijs512/trescom/palms_plus.zip

One new texture (with opacity map) for the brown leaf.

I'm not sure a burned down area would fit, but putting these damaged ones along one side of the island would suggest a big storm hit that beach.
Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Rebel »

STorm damage is fine, Martijn, the fire damage was just a passing thought. Danke. If you find an extra half hour, try n' get that hole crate to me as well, I could finish up that little area then. I guess you can model the entire thing as one model, I can't multiple texture so I had to create the sandtop and sand showing through the side as separate models... pain in the ass, plus I suck at modeling, so.... :lol:

*I discovered one of problems that I've been having with some triggers not always working, damn stray verts. Inside the crater, we had the labmast, both the small and large doors on the hanger with that problem. Those, I fixed on my own and the triggers are workin' fine now, though most notably, the large section of tunnel with the turbine room has a stray vert way the hell up in the sky and I think that's why my location triggers inside that room are only working sporatically. Check it out if you can, try to find that li' bugger. I'd do it on my own, but there's no way that I'd be able to texture that puppy. ;) Luckily, these weren't causing any models to play that disappearing act that they sometimes do, but I'd like to fix it just the same as the level is getting large (12,000 objects and counting) and I dread technical difficulties.
Rexy40
-=Alpha Wolf=-
-=Alpha Wolf=-

Post by Rexy40 »

Didn't Andres find a way to help the slowdown with 12,000 plus objects?
Remdul
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Remdul »

Sure no prob, will look into it tomorrow if I get the time. I believe that model was exported as .3ds, will export it to .tpm. There's no stray vert in the model as I have it in MAX, so it most likely was the 3ds export plugin messing up (again).

Crate model doesn't seem like a big job, will try to do that one tomorrow as well. :)
Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Rebel »

Trav, yea, it's not the object count that I'm so concerned with by itself, though the level's complexity is as such that if something screwed up at this late stage, it'd probably be a nightmare to straighten out. It'd be like losing control of a runaway train....
Last edited by Rebel on Thu Jun 17, 2004 12:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Rebel »

Hey Remdul, nevermind about that stray vert thingie. There were two location triggers in the exact locale, I moved one slightly off center of the other and it works now, so screw that. Don't need any more extra work.
Remdul
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Remdul »

Sounds good. Keep in mind that this stray vert makes the object's radius bigger and may affect things like culling, and thus performance.
Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Rebel »

Sure. I haven't noticed any difference in performance, though appearance is quite 'evident'. I may actually revert back to the original doors and mast quite simply because having such a large radius mimics a float cachemul that equals about 3 or 4.

BTW, Palms look good, Remdul. Workin' on that stuff now. ;)
Remdul
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Remdul »

Well, there goes:

http://home.planet.nl/~buijs512/trescom/caverns2_v1.zip

Insane toatal poly-count, but I kept it below 1000 per segment. Included are a a few new textures sharing a new palette, and a second water animation for the underground river. I haven't added details to the last part of the mine tunnels, once you got everything in place Rebel, let me know. We may have to move the 2nd part of the caverns up a bit, don't know how much space is left between the lowest part of the models and the terrain (in case the terrain height = 0 and can't be lowered).

:)

Ps; if you need ANY model to be re-exported, just ask. The .tpm script I rewrote fixes many bugs that where caused by the 3ds export plugin...
Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Rebel »

Cool. I'm just shakin' the cobwebs out of my head, though I'll check this out right soon. :)
Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Rebel »

Caverns look great Remdul, though I have run into some troubles. Mostly, all the little parts, water, falls, planks and shack imported out of position, so I'm trying to determine where all this stuff goes!
:o
btw, cylinder 15, the topside of the walkplanks aren't textured. I'll let you know if I notice any other snafu. Is that shed complete, just the three walls?
Remdul
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Remdul »

Hmm, sounds like some parts may have gone bananas. I'll export it a few times, and test it myself. Some objects may be mirrored, or the pivots are messed up...

Shack has only three walls, build agains the rock wall right above the submerged cavern exit.

* Hmm, just checked it out. Seems like the scales are messed up. I'll just re-export everything, to hard to move them into place without ending up with seems...oh and that missing texture thing, probably geometry error caused on export...
Last edited by Remdul on Sat Jun 19, 2004 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.