ss venture

Released! - TresCom Ops' TC Act 2 Archive Forum.

Moderators: scallenger, Hilwo, Kovu

Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Rebel »

Rem, how 'bout this for a revised walkthru:

*Enter ship thru hull hole (port = left?) side (near front) of ship

*Compartment ceiling collaspes after entry (could create
2nd model for this (use visible/invisible to switch models.
Player will never notice --

*2 sets of stair available here

*1 set goes upstairs, though door locked (lower bridge door)

*player forced to explore inwards, go down 2nd set of stairs

*wanders compartments, finds path thru lower cargo hold

*up one of the ladders, player target; outside of engine room

FROM THIS POINT, POSSIBLY TWO SOLUTIONS:

(GOAL: PLAYER MUST REMOVE DUCT GRATE, GET UP INTO DUCTS)

*1st method: can stack crates and jump up into ducts

*2nd method: flood engine room, water rises, sneak into ducts
as water rises to proper height

*follow duct system up above stairs, around cargo hold.

*player exits ducts onto strategically placed cargo, climb their
way down onto the 4 door cargo hold decking

*With doors closed, must start generator (maybe fix beforehand?)

*Doors open: must race up stairs to get out before doors auto-
close on them.

Once successful......

*Lower Bridge door can now be opened from outside (could put
wheel handle on door to unlock)

*player now has access to entire ship

*player can go to bridge -- play with radio, find stuff, documents,
weapons, et cetera as previously mentioned --

*player leaves ship, heads to shore....
Remdul
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Remdul »

Sounds great Rebel :). I actually forgot to create a hole in cargo1, for a door that leads to the corridor next to it. I'll add that doorway aswell as the duct. Even if we don't need the door it'll look nice down there.

I think you can put some of the containers from the lab level in the large cargo hold to fill it up, may want to put some weapons or other interesting items inside. I think the textures will be to bright compared to the textures of the ship itself, so let me see a screen and I'll upload the tweaked textures. :)
Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Rebel »

Cool. Now that I can walk the entire ship, it's become easier to visualize the exploration and puzzle aspects.
Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Rebel »

btw, no prob. with the mid-ship hold's ladder. Anne walks right up the ladder, no need to even hop to advance up.

You dudes are gonna love this model. Beyond the puzzling aspect of the ducts, starting the generator and beatin' the doors up to the deck, just walkin' around the model is a treat. Going to add some creepy, interior bowel ship sounds too as player makes their way thru it; add to the atmosphere of the ship.

*added a ghost like event too, tell me what you think of it. Once you're up topside and approach the bottom bridge hatch, the player sees the hatch wheel turn on its own, then the hatch eases open with an eerie sound. :o

I love it.... though maybe you may have to actually see it to appreciate it.
Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Rebel »

http://www.geocities.com/lastrebel41/trescom.html

You'll find a download of a test level with venture import. Don't want to rehash what's inside the read me file in the zip, but notables include cargohold door open/close routine and a bridge sway that adds a nice sense of motion and realism. Most internal and deckside subobjects are in place, though I haven't worked on the outer hull plating yet --

*AFter you do the import/swp update thing, might want to increase Anne's foot to 0.320000 scale (norm scale nowadays) so you don't have trouble with the center hold's ladders.

*Sorry 'bout having to do the imports and the swp update, but doing things this way makes a smaller upload and download. Yahoo doesn't give you much space to work with. :?

I'll leave the file up for the weekend. (precautionary, but I don't want to leave it up for too long in case someone stumbles upon it)
Remdul
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Remdul »

Got it Rebel. :)

I got time today to work on the level, will get that shipt duct thing done asap.
Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Rebel »

Okeedok. I'll leave the file up til tomorrow though in case Paul or someone else wanted a sneak peak. I'll remove it then.

*Rem, when you walk down those 1st flights of stairs, the corridor to your left, there's a door on the 1st room to your left. T'was thinking either that room or the one up ahead of it would be a good entry point from the hull. (That side of the ship is where our hole should be, will become visible approaching up from beach area) The hallway sway there isn't staying, that was just a test as our main event in that area will be the ceiling collasping in room entered from hull hole.

Yup, I'd like to get the duct system in there. Going to be damn cool. :)
Remdul
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Remdul »

Got that duct model done (finally):

http://home.planet.nl/~buijs512/trescom/ductstuff.zip

I hope the duct is big enough, I didn't compare it with the model you uploaded but it should be about the same size. But no prob to scale it up a bit.

Added a door inside cargo1, leads to the corridor which is also included in the .3ds. In case we don't use the door for the puzzle (we probably won't) we can simply put a immovable crate in front of it, but you can climb up on that one, break the grating panel and access the duct.

Haven't created the gap in the both the engine room ceiling or cargo1 yet, will do that when we got the exact duct size.

Great sub-ing on the ship Rebel!. I always wondered what would happen to the performance in areas with great amounts of physics objects, but the engine handles them wonderfully. :)
Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Rebel »

Got it, Remdul. I'll post up in a bit and tell ya where we're at. ;)

*Yea, I was rather surprised that that amount of subobjects had no effect on framerates. To best collision detection, I went with smaller blocks for our decks, that of course added to the count of sub objects.
Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Rebel »

Ok, swear this is the last upload pertaining to the ducts. Setup includes the ducts, cargohold (I cut hole for it -- ladder to side). The engineroom is way too complex for me to screw with, though I did use its ceiling and cut the hole in it (maybe use it as a template?).

It'll import set up, about 100ft above the venture. Thought maybe this would make your job easier, Remdul. The cargohold actually came out quite well, but you may want to recheck the textures on it -- I suck at texturing.

http://www.geocities.com/lastrebel41/Tres/ductsetup.ZIP
Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Rebel »

Martijn, got a little bored this afternoon, so I decided to finish up the ducts, cut the hole in the engine room and create a grate (two screenshots). What'dya think?

So long as you're satisfied at what you see, we can consider the ducts and their associated models completed. :)

http://www.geocities.com/lastrebel41/images/grate1.jpg
http://www.geocities.com/lastrebel41/images/grate2.jpg
Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Rebel »

hmm... seems everyone's mia, now I don't feel so bad. :D

Had a little time today, got the engine room flooding (water rise) worked out. Soooooo, as per revised walkthru, will be able to get into ducts by dragging crate over and jumpin' up or by flooding the chamber. Leave us with the question of; how would you like to actually create the water flow? I think the easiest method would be to create a spray-like animation, make it look the various sections of pipes sprung leaks as one of the valves are turned.

Remdul, think we should create a metal crate, specific use for the venture only? (don't think the old, wooden ingen crates belong in there)
Remdul
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Remdul »

Sure, I'll make a few new crates, maybe one without the lid, and a few broken ones. Ducts stuff looks neat. I'll be home all day tomorrow, will definetly look into it.

Cheers. :)
Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Rebel »

I have off today and tomorrow, so hopefully we'll be able to get some more work done. ;)