ss venture

Released! - TresCom Ops' TC Act 2 Archive Forum.

Moderators: scallenger, Hilwo, Kovu

Remdul
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Remdul »

More w.i.ps;

http://home.planet.nl/~buijs512/trescom/ssventure28.jpg
http://home.planet.nl/~buijs512/trescom/ssventure29.jpg
http://home.planet.nl/~buijs512/trescom/ssventure30.jpg
http://home.planet.nl/~buijs512/trescom/ssventure31.jpg

I think I'll put all of these renders on the site after we release the level, I bet many will be interested how the model was created...
Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Rebel »

Well, as Eric Cartman would say, Sweeet!. You're right about the renders.... need to release them all at some point. 8)
Remdul
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Remdul »

Threw some more interesting looking textures onto the cargo hull, and somehow it made it look a lot bigger as well. Re-used the same textures from the engine room. Added grating to the bottom, so we can put some containers, crates down there without much trouble (repeated patterns also made make stuff seem bigger, sweet little trick). If the ladders won't be climbable we'll simply put some crates there.

http://home.planet.nl/~buijs512/trescom/hull1.jpg
http://home.planet.nl/~buijs512/trescom/hull2.jpg
http://home.planet.nl/~buijs512/trescom/hull3.jpg
Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Rebel »

Some good lookin' shots thar, Remdul. ;) I'm fairly confident that we'll be able to climb ladders without much trouble.

*Interior of the ship actually looks quite large. If that's an optical illusion, it's a damn good one. 8)
Remdul
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Remdul »

I'm currently compiling the invividual objects into lager chunks now, but its a lot of work. For each chunk I have to take care of smoothing groups which is a bit tricky. Also finished the engine room, as well as the windows on the bridge section. Put some lights on the exterior as well, patched a huge gap on the cargo bay doors.

Think I can have it up online by this week.

I think the best approach to get this baby working it by importing it into the minilev (probably not even your testzone level Rebel). I expect various problems with the models themselves (pivot problem, flipped faces, mirrored objects etc.) There simply where to many object in my MAX scene to go thru one by one, so we'll have to replace the messed up models them as we find them.

Model has about 12000 polygons. That means we'll have to keep a close eye on performance, so occlusion objects are probably needed. I kept all rooms with doors as seperate models, and I cut the model around every corner of the corridors. I think that with scripts we can also hide models, use enter/exit triggers to change visibility as you get near them.

I haven't cut a hole in the hull yet, I think it's best to do that when we have it in the minilev, see where the gap fits the terrain best (obviously you'd have to be able to get in without much trouble). So we'll probably only have to replace two models, the hull itself and the room inside it by then.

Lots of work, but I bet it'll look darn neat once in-game :)
Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Rebel »

I can tell just how complex the model is just by looking at your purty screenshots. (I can barely model a square building! lol)

What I'll probably do is import the ship into the shores.level which is an empty copy of tc_isle. Doing things in this manner allows me to position the model, get it setup properly, so that when it's completed an import into tc_isle is without trouble.

12000 polywoggles? Wow. How many sections is the model broken down to? Interior wise, lots of things can be assigned culling values, (even entire rooms) so slow down shouldn't be too much of a problem.

*I haven't been pesterin' you on the Venture, I know it's a huge task, but you're doing a helluva job. ;)
Remdul
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Remdul »

Well here it finally is: :)

http://www.trescom.org/test/ssventure_v1.zip

I believe there are about 20 models, 10 of them are quite big. There's only one door in one of the corridors, instance it to places where they look nice. Objects have long names, I don't know that'll give any problems (since .3ds supports names only 12-16 (?) characters long).

Like I said before, there will probably be a bunch of geometric bugs in there, most of them will probably be caused by the .3ds export plug. We'll have to replace those objects as we find them along the way.

Two palettes used for the textures. There's one transparant texture, used on the bridge windows.

Bridge interior and cargo doors control panel are still to be made.

Phew. Glad I got the biggest part done. Looks great though. :)
Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Rebel »

Downloaded. :) I'll let you know what surprises we run into. Gonna import it right away. :)

*Just gave it a quick look, Martijn. An incredible piece of work you created, looks utterly fantastic. 8) First thing I should do I guess is check for scale, figure out it's exact position. I assume that you'd want the bow of the ship pointed towards shore, correct?

Personal Privacy Edit

*Problems seem few, Remdul. Only one that I picked out so far is that there's a stray vert in the venture_ma model (the mast) which I imagine you can fix in a second. Model looks great, Remdul. I am having a little trouble with the intersecting models, but working on culling and cacheintersecting values to alleviate those.

*Giving some thought to the hull's hole, what about positioning a few sharp rocks protruding up from the ocean. That way, it'd look as if the ship ran into the rocks just before shoreline, tearing a hole into the hull...... makes sense, it'd look good, plus we might be able to use the rock as a means to jump inside of the ship.
Last edited by Rebel on Fri Jun 16, 2006 12:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wajas
-=TresCom Website Manager=-
-=TresCom Website Manager=-
Antispam: No

Post by Wajas »

Personal Privacy Edit
Remdul
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Remdul »

Personal Privacy Edit

Sure, I'll check on the mast and upload the model.

Bow should pint to the beach, I think that the rock thing sounds great. Just put some of the existing rocks in place, then once we got in position I'll create a more pointy, black volcanic type rock that fits the hole in the ship (and maybe some smaller ones scattered along the beaches).

* Here's the mast model:

http://home.planet.nl/~buijs512/trescom/mast.zip
Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Rebel »

Okeedok, on the rock thingie. (Once positioned, you'll be able to determine where to create the tear in hull).

Model looks f'in' frantastic, Remdul. Remarkable job you did on this ship. Between modelling and programming, you have a helluva bright future ahead of you. ;)

*Yea, mast is the only problem I've noticed so far. Beginning to sub out the model now.... not sure of the scale yet, though once I can start walking around I'll be able to determine it better.

Personal Privacy Edit

***Got the mast model, fixed. Found two flipped faces ( very small triangles). One on venture_dr5 and another on venture_dr4. These are the stern side cargo doors. The faces flipped are on the bottom side corner of both doors, where they seam.

Actually, venture_dr2 and venture_dr3 has the same small face error. (must have cloned them, right?)
Last edited by Rebel on Fri Jun 16, 2006 12:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Rebel »

Progress continues, Remdul. (about 800 subobjects in place as of now -- ship looks great)

T'was fiddlin' around with the duct idea again. I know, you're a pain in the ass Rebel, but the two screenshots below demonstrates the we not only have room for it inside the 4 door cargo hold, it'd be just downright cool. The ducts could follow the corridor which goes around the perimeter of the hold, straight down the stairs and can stop just above the doorway that leds into the engine room. All we'd (you (lol)) do is create an opening for the beginning duct inside the hold and open up a duct hole on the inside of the engine room door in the ceiling. The poorly modelled ducts you see in the pic are as wide as the corridors below them and about half as high as the doors. You can crawl thru them.

*need to right click and save these stupid geocities images

http://www.geocities.com/lastrebel41/images/ducts.jpg
http://www.geocities.com/lastrebel41/im ... pening.jpg

This could be a second method of getting out of that hold, (could use crate stacking to get up to that point, we could even hide some good stuff inside the ducts.

Lemme know what you think. I think it'll work and be damn cool. Even if we don't need another exit strategy here, it'd still be yet some other section of the ship to explore.
Remdul
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Remdul »

Duct sounds cool indeed, if it works. What diameter should the duct be? I don't thinkt the ducts I already have in there are large enough...

Fixed the doors and also two missing polys on cargo1 (bottom of stairs):

http://home.planet.nl/~buijs512/trescom/patch1.zip
Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Rebel »

Got um. I uploaded a zipped model of a duct section that's already scaled to size. It'd go on top of corridor (just as wide) somewhere before the metal cabinet doors on the other of the cargo hold model (venture_in model passage) (there's a header there, so the duct would start just past that point follow the corridor, turn left at the corridor, traverse the length of the inner hold, hang left, hang left down the stairs and stop just above doorway to engine room. This is a good route for us to take since we'd be using space that's in behind walls and above corridors that would otherwise go to waste.

The scale of the model matches the Town's drainage pipe, (it might even be a bit bigger) so crawling through it isn't a problem.

*Got the doors replaced, though I won't replace the cargo hold (venture_ca model) until you decide on the ducts, since if we do use them you'll need to cut a vent opening into this model.....

http://www.geocities.com/lastrebel41/Tres/ductsize.ZIP

*right click, save target*
Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Rebel »

btw, I'm working on getting our four cargo doors to open at the same time and properly (like the movie), but it can't be done with magnets so I'm working with Andres' play animation scriptings. So far, I got two doors working together (looks natural -- add effects it'll kick ass). Hopefully, I'll be able to get all four doors to open up like the pedals of a flower and close just as fluently.

*One weird thing: all asb files 'play' on loadup, so I'm trying to work around that, having just the object animations go thru their motions though out of the players view. They can then be replayed when summoned by a secondary trigger --

**A little confused on the walkthru you gave with regards to cargo hold with overhead doors. There's no exit other than those doors and the engine room is inaccessible from there. Perhaps it should be as simple as control panel on deck which opens up doors (play animation) and once you get down there, you're trapped. Need to fix controls or fire up a generator down there and get up to the top before the doors close again. I think I can time the doors to pause with the animation, make it tough to get up the stairs in time, and we can also use the duct system I suggested as an alternative escape route to get yourself out of there.

***Got all 4 door parts to open n' close together. Good thing Andres found that play animation script, otherwise we'd probably be in a heap of trouble. :o