crater lab complex

Released! - TresCom Ops' TC Act 2 Archive Forum.

Moderators: scallenger, Hilwo, Kovu

Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Rebel »

Yeah, I'll have to see what'll work in there. Large trees are out, as with altitude, those types of trees wouldn't be found in nature. I'll fiddle and see what happens.... :cartman:
Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Rebel »

Ok, how 'bout we go with our river trees as in the pic below? I can also use a few downsized jungle trees off to the side of the hanger and sprinkle a few smaller palms in and around our fencing once that's in place. At least with the river trees we have the foilage coverage we're looking for but the trees won't be sticking up out of the crater.

http://www.trespasserextras.com/crater3.jpg

*Maybe this TresED Shot would give you a better idea. Note the coverage of trees, the collection of volcanic and granite type rocks, and of course we'd have a splash of tree stumps, some green plants and an assortment of small equipment or other props in and around the buildings to compliment our truck alongside the hanger.

Lemme know what you think. Like it, or would you like me to try some other angle? (I like it, but I'm only one voice! :D )
Remdul
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Remdul »

Sure, there can be a few palms scattered around the complex.

I actually came up with the idea of a crater on the island when I saw some show on the Discovery Channel of the Arecibo Observatory, here's a pic:

http://www.nature-adventure.de/SPACETOU ... RECIBO.JPG

This image pretty much shows the kind of atmosphere I was aiming for. Something unexpected breaking up the green cover. Try placing some of the smaller jungle trees near the buildings. I think the river plant is a bit to wide, takes up to much space on the ground.
But like you said, trees shouldn't rise up to much out of the crater, but you can always put some smaller trees/plants on the ridge to make it seem higher.
Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Rebel »

Interesting pic. Our jungle trees, whether downsized or not don't really look right inside the crater. I picked the river tree because of its low height, foilage cover of the crater itself and the ominous shade spread, but if you don't like it I'll have to try something else.
Remdul
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Remdul »

Hmm. Play around with it a bit, maybe the river tree in combination with the scrubs and other small jungle plants will look great anyway.
Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Rebel »

Well, how 'bout I stick with using just two river trees, one by the hanger (shown in pic below, looks cool ingame hanging over the hanger's roof like that) and another behind the main lab complex. I'll use a combo of smaller trees, shrub, rock and other vegetation for the rest of the crater. I'll get it to look right.... I won't rest until it does. ;)

http://www.trespasserextras.com/crater7.jpg
Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Rebel »

Rem, are you certain that you don't like this?

*I keep playin' with varied setups, but I still think this looks best behind the lab. If you still don't like it though, just say so and I'll drop this scene and go for another. :cartman:
Remdul
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Remdul »

Oh, well that looks fine. Maybe scatter some more of that tree you see in the back, crater7.jpg, in between. And I might come up with another small tree/large plant model later. :)

Looks great Rebel carry on. Sometimes I'm kinda picky, but now that I look at it from a fresh perspective it doesn't look bad at all. 8)
Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Rebel »

Of course, I'll keep messin' with it. I'm picky myself, so you're not alone there. I put a nice, faded pathway that comes out from the elevator complex around the tree and some stumps, then goes to the back entrances of the lab. It really does look nice.
Remdul
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Remdul »

Uploaded the fully textured model:

http://home.planet.nl/~buijs512/trescom/labs_v2.zip

I think it is better to leave out the smaller cluster of modules at all. Maybe it'll give us a bit more room inside the crater, and I couldn't really think of much to put inside (labs as of this version is rather spacy enough).

Tweaked the textures a bit, looks a bunch better now. There might still be a untextured polygon or two, was a bit akward navigating in 3dsmax in such confined spaces, couldn't see much. Just lemme know if you find any. :)

Once you've moved the fresh import into place, replace the door with an instance and keep the door model itself in the basement. I still need to add that window (non-breakable) and a doorhandle, so I will be replaced later. You can create instances for the other doors, as well as the steps.

Take me a screenie once you got stuff in place. 8)
Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Rebel »

I'll get you a screenie asap. Thought there was a prob. with the 3ds file, but my error. (Have to delete a few objects which share 'object #' names before trying import again.

Let ya know. :)
Remdul
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Remdul »

Sure. :)

I'm moving some of my online files to my HD free up some webspace (mostly images) but they are still available on request. :)
Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Rebel »

Came out quite well, Rem, nice texturing work. (didn't notice any texture glitches)

http://www.trespasserextras.com/labext.jpg
http://www.trespasserextras.com/labint.jpg

Well, if you want to omit the smaller building, guess we can do that but the lab and the hanger should stay where they are. Quite difficult to move, plus they look right. What I'd suggest in lieu of the smaller lab building is perhaps a helicoptor, terrain landing texture (could break it up into four squares as the parking lot in the main complex (lab level) was done) and we could park a busted up helicoptor there. We actually have plenty of space and I don't like the idea of just planting some more trees where the small building sits now.... needs another prop to replace it.

:cartman:

Anyhoo, mighty fine job on the lab. ;) I already have the sub-objects in place, just need to finish up the interior walls, maybe create an occlusion object for it.

*btw, if you feel like it, you could take that lab7 texture (spotlights) and bust those lights up on aonther texture so that we could switch the textures if shot at. :yes:

**I also don't know how elaborate that you wanted to get into your fencing (or holding pens) either. We could always have a small control building which had nothing to do with lab work, but it was there to control the locking and unlocking of various pens. Just another idea thrown out there ---
Remdul
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Remdul »

That heli landing texture thing sounds great. I still have a helicopter model lying around here, its a Bell Jetranger type, with a Biosyn logo but I'll paint that over with the InGen logo. No biggie.

No prob to create that extra light texture as well.

Holding pens will be no problem, I still have some models on stock I can use. Don't think that control building will be necessary, if we have any of such controls we can put them in the top module of the lab (like I mentioned before I sorta acts like an observation tower.

Btw, you can move, duplicate the spotlights on the roof around if you like, to match the rest of the location.

:)
Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Rebel »

Okeedok, then. We'll go with the helipad texture idea instead of the building. :)

*Yeah, makes sense to station all those controls in the upper lab module. Should probably be a radio up there too. Where do you see the controls (or comp.) needed to unlock the elevator complex door, same upper module or in another section of the lab?

**Those lights render really cool. We could always have a lit texture in there too besides the shot up one, have a master switch somewhere that'd light 'em all up (unless shot out), but of course, not really necessary.

***Don't know how keen you are on this, but for the interior of the hanger, I was thinking that perhaps we could have one of those airline industry type tractors that pull the aircraft around. Beyond that, that previous idea I had about the short-circuited control box inside, (electric animation meant to warn anne to stay away as if she touches the controls, she's dead) and I figure the standard accumulation of crates and such would be in order as well, along with some other props.

****We should also have secondary controls for the crater entry gate, but we could always just place a duplicate control box just inside the gated entryway like the one outside of it, except, of course, the interior once doesn't need to be shorted out to unlock the gate as that would have already been done before you entered.