Bumpmapped objects...

A discussion and "how to" of running Trespasser under the Linux operating system. You do not have to be registered for posting in this forum!

Moderators: scallenger, Dapper Dan, TresCom Support Team

IsToR
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Bumpmapped objects...

Post by IsToR »

Hey, I noticed something.. whenever an object that is bumpmapped comes into view, trespasser slows down... It does not apply to all moveable objects, but only the bumpmapped ones.. I think.. see for yourself
Dapper Dan
-=TresCom Elder=-
-=TresCom Elder=-

Post by Dapper Dan »

In Windows as well as Linux?
"I have discovered an ancient tribe of those who still hold a candle for this dead, and forgotten Videonic Gamen... the Forgotten people."
IsToR
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by IsToR »

Does winex support bumpmaps? Maybe that's why trespasser slows down so much? Whenever a dinosaur, barrel or weapon comes into view, the game slows down.. they are all bump mapped.....

When a moveable piece of wood that is not bumpmapped comes into view, trespasser runs fine......

I'm gonna try something first thing in the morning.. Asjad's t-rex is not bump mpped, right..? or is it?.. well anyway.. I'm gonna import it into a level and see if it slows down when I'm looking at the rex.
the ARK
Pteranodon
Pteranodon

Post by the ARK »

Asjad's isn't because curved bumpmapping is not supported by GeomAdd.
This is truly one of the most disappointing moments in gaming history. Gamers are being reduced to digging through the game's installed files to discover what was supposed to happen in the game they just bought.
IsToR
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by IsToR »

IsToR wrote
Dan, is it possible to have both 3.1 and 3.2 installed at hte same time? I guess no... ?
As with all things Linux, I'm sure there is a way, but I'd be afraid how to advise on that. I DO know that back before 3.0 came out, the command was:

winex mygames.exe
instead of
winex3 mygames.exe

I had both winex and winex3 running side by side for different games that each ran better than the other.

It could be as simple as renamming one to, say, winex2 and the other winex3, but I really wouldn't know. You could play around with it though..
IsToR
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by IsToR »

Dapper Dan wrote:In Windows as well as Linux?
In Linux.. you know.. the massive slowdown that you encounter when playing tres under winex3
IsToR
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by IsToR »

I'm gonna fix the demo level so that it can be run under winex3 without any slowdown at all... ;)
Dapper Dan
-=TresCom Elder=-
-=TresCom Elder=-

Post by Dapper Dan »

Very odd! my post up top came out as if IsToR wrote it! Oh, no... I accidentally hit the edit button instead of the quote button! Sorry IsToR.. :cry:
"I have discovered an ancient tribe of those who still hold a candle for this dead, and forgotten Videonic Gamen... the Forgotten people."
IsToR
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by IsToR »

IsToR wrote:IsToR wrote
Dan, is it possible to have both 3.1 and 3.2 installed at hte same time? I guess no... ?
As with all things Linux, I'm sure there is a way, but I'd be afraid how to advise on that. I DO know that back before 3.0 came out, the command was:

winex mygames.exe
instead of
winex3 mygames.exe

I had both winex and winex3 running side by side for different games that each ran better than the other.

It could be as simple as renamming one to, say, winex2 and the other winex3, but I really wouldn't know. You could play around with it though..
What the................. I didn't write that! :lol:
IsToR
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by IsToR »

Dapper Dan wrote:Very odd! my post up top came out as if IsToR wrote it! Oh, no... I accidentally hit the edit button instead of the quote button! Sorry IsToR.. :cry:
But there is no edit button on other posts than your own.. :?

hmmm.. strange.. :P :)
Dapper Dan
-=TresCom Elder=-
-=TresCom Elder=-

Post by Dapper Dan »

There is if you are the moderator of the forum, which I am here.. I wish I could fix it back but I'm not real sure I can, Sorry. I'll be more careful next time.. :(
IsToR
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by IsToR »

hehe ok