How to install and run Trespasser under Linux

A discussion and "how to" of running Trespasser under the Linux operating system. You do not have to be registered for posting in this forum!

Moderators: scallenger, Dapper Dan, TresCom Support Team

Dapper Dan
-=TresCom Elder=-
-=TresCom Elder=-

Post by Dapper Dan »

There are few things that are simple with Linux, thus it may come as a surprise to learn that running the first person shooter, "Trespasser" from DreamWorks Interactive, is almost as easy as installing and running it under Windows! With Winex3, Trespasser will run in hardware mode but there are slow down and freeze up issues associated with bringing the game's animate objects into frame. You may want to experiment with playing in hardware mode in areas of the game that don't contain animate objects, to see just how visually outstanding it is! In regular play though, you will have to play in software mode. You will notice a few minor stuttering problems with the audio, and will notice NO problems with the video in software. Trespasser has been installed and sucessfully run on Mandrake 9.0, Red Hat 9.0, Fedora Core one and Morphix 4.1(Debian). Your mileage may vary... :wink:

What you will need before starting

1. A licensed copy of Trespasser. Check with Trescom.org for a list of on-line outlets if you don't already have it.
2. Winex3 from Transgaming Technologies. Winex3 is not free. In order to download it, you will have to become a Transgaming member. The cost is a nominal $5.00 a month for a minimum of 3 months.

Installation in 6 easy steps

1. Download and install Winex3 using Transgaming's given instructions.
2. From your favorite terminal as user, mount the Trespasser cd:

$ mount /mnt/cdrom [ENTER]
(With some distros, you must be root to mount file systems. If this is the case with yours, just mount the Trespasser cd as root, then revert to regular user for the rest of the steps. Do not install Trespasser as root, or you will have to either be root to play it, or go back and change it's permissions after the install.)

3. Start the Trespasser installation by typing:

$ winex3 /mnt/cdrom/SETUP.EXE [ENTER]

4. Follow the on screen instructions for installing Trespasser.
5. After the installation is complete, you can then run Trespasser from a terminal, or create an icon or menu entry on your favorite desktop. In all cases, the command for starting the game is:

$ winex3 .transgaming/c_drive/Program\ Files/DreamWorks\ Interactive/Trespasser/trespass.exe

6. You can also start Trespasser from either Nautilus or Konqueror. From your home directory go to:

.transgaming/c_drive/Program Files/DreamWorks Interactive/Trespasser

.. right click on "trespass.exe" and choose winex3 to open.

That's it! Enjoy the game!
Last edited by Dapper Dan on Thu Jun 24, 2004 6:15 pm, edited 3 times in total.
TyrannosaurusMatt
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by TyrannosaurusMatt »

This information is going to be really useful when i get a LInux OS on my next computer. So i'll say thank u.
Although what about Macs.
Dapper Dan
-=TresCom Elder=-
-=TresCom Elder=-

Post by Dapper Dan »

Well Matt, I'll certainly welcome you to join me since, as far as I know, I'm presently the only person on the planet who ever attempted and succeeded in trying to play Trespasser under Linux! :lol:

It'll really be nice to have a "comrade in arms" at TresLinux!

As far as Mac goes, I just have no experience with it. I don't even know if they make windows "emulators/layers" for Mac. Since Mac OSX is technically Linux/Unix, I think it is feasable, if there is.

Do you do any level creating? It sure would be nice to have a Linux user, try out all the Trespasser editiong tools under Winex to see if they work as well as I believe they will. I have no experience at level creation whatsoever.. :)
"I have discovered an ancient tribe of those who still hold a candle for this dead, and forgotten Videonic Gamen... the Forgotten people."
IsToR
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by IsToR »

I did it yesterday.. it was really unstable though.. and ran at 0.5 fps in hardware mode.. on software mode it was very good...
Dapper Dan
-=TresCom Elder=-
-=TresCom Elder=-

Post by Dapper Dan »

You did!! You played Tres with Winex? What version? 3.1 or 3.2?
"I have discovered an ancient tribe of those who still hold a candle for this dead, and forgotten Videonic Gamen... the Forgotten people."
IsToR
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by IsToR »

I have no idea how to install the nvidia drivers though (I guess I could, but it's so much hassle :P ).. so it doesn't run properly in hardware mode... :(

The framerate in software mode is just like the framerate when playing in windows.. very good performance. The sound, on the other hand, has some kind of annoying delay thingie.. . Every single sound that is played is played like 3 times, so when walking, it sounds kind of like 3 annes walking at the same time.....
IsToR
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by IsToR »

I played half-life too btw.. :)
Dapper Dan
-=TresCom Elder=-
-=TresCom Elder=-

Post by Dapper Dan »

IsToR wrote:3.1 I have no idea how to install the nvidia drivers though (I guess I could, but it's so much hassle :P ).. so it doesn't run properly in hardware mode... :(

Istor go get this...

http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux_nforce_1.0-0261

It's MUCH easier than the old way with the tarballs with glx and such. All you do is download and run (not in X) and edit your XF86Config to "nvidia" rather than "nv." It's very easy now... almost no fun! :lol:
IsToR wrote:The framerate in software mode is just like the framerate when playing in windows.. very good performance. The sound, on the other hand, has some kind of annoying delay thingie.. . Every single sound that is played is played like 3 times, so when walking, it sounds kind of like 3 annes walking at the same time.....
The sound problem running under 3.1 has completely gone away in 3.2. The sound is exactly as under Windows running the new Winex3.2 :yes:
Dapper Dan
-=TresCom Elder=-
-=TresCom Elder=-

Post by Dapper Dan »

IsToR wrote:I played half-life too btw.. :)
Half-Life rocks under Winex! Do you play TF? I get extremely good pings running TF under Winex, far better than I ever got under Windows on the same box! 8)
IsToR
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by IsToR »

Dapper Dan wrote:
IsToR wrote:3.1 I have no idea how to install the nvidia drivers though (I guess I could, but it's so much hassle :P ).. so it doesn't run properly in hardware mode... :(

Istor go get this...

http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux_nforce_1.0-0261

It's MUCH easier than the old way with the tarballs with glx and such. All you do is download and run (not in X) and edit your XF86Config to "nvidia" rather than "nv." It's very easy now... almost no fun!
I don't have the nForce chipset.. :P I have a geforce 2 GTS graphics card... and via chipset on the motherboard... :P
Dapper Dan
-=TresCom Elder=-
-=TresCom Elder=-

Post by Dapper Dan »

IsToR wrote:I don't have the nForce chipset.. :P I have a geforce 2 GTS graphics card... and via chipset on the motherboard... :P
Oopps! I was too quick on the draw there.. :? Here it is...
http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux_disp ... -4349.html
IsToR
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by IsToR »

hey.. that's not the latest file... here it is.. :) http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux_disp ... -4496.html
Dapper Dan
-=TresCom Elder=-
-=TresCom Elder=-

Post by Dapper Dan »

I'm just not real sure how I missed that one! :? I downloaded the other only about 5 weeks ago! Thanks! :)
Dapper Dan
-=TresCom Elder=-
-=TresCom Elder=-

Post by Dapper Dan »

Just installed it, and there is no difference in the convoluted background. In fact, if anything, I'd say the latest module has brought a lot of the slowness back in hardware, but it still runs great in software. I was really hoping the new module would fix things, and then I could have apologized to Lou for suggesting I should update the drivers! :wink:

Hey Istor, try this! Exit out of X and while on the Internet type as root:

nvidia-installer --update

Did it work??
Oddjob
Dinosaur egg
Dinosaur egg
Antispam: No

Re: How to install and run Trespasser under Linux

Post by Oddjob »

UNBELIEVABLE! I just got the game working on a mac! I'm so exited! THIS is what I call a VICTORY! :mrgreen:
"Like trousers like brain"
~Joe Strummer (RIP)
"This isn't a joke you idiot! We we're just attacked by a big assed lizard!"
~Regina (Dino Crisis)