A new Trespasser patch/update (Trespasser CE)

Discuss the game Trespasser here!

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Board Managers

machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Re: A new Trespasser patch/update (Trespasser CE)

Post by machf »

You can get jumping dinosaurs in CE if you re-enable the dinosaur activities that were disabled in the retail version and add the corresponding entries to their t-scripts.
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Tres WIP: updated T-Script Reference and File Formats documents
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer
Antispam: No

Post by Draconisaurus »

Nah, I know what you mean BZ. CE lacks the sort of jumping that ATX creates, which I agree is awesome. Lee, take note, we'd like jumping dinos in future versions...
Velociraptor Alfa
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

Post by Velociraptor Alfa »

Yeah, jumping raptors and randomizer for dinosaurs and objects (cards, weapons...)
"To defeat an enemy, you must know them. Not simply their battle tactics, but their history, philosophy, art." - Grand Admiral Thrawn
crowe1930
Dinosaur egg
Dinosaur egg

Post by crowe1930 »

Hello, I just signed up cos I encountered an issue.

I play with the default settings at 3840x2160. Everything is nice, except when I reach somewhere in level 3, the game crashes to desktop instantaneously. Tried various things until I set 1920x1080 and it worked fine. So I suspected it was a memory issue. And I was right, I activated the log and it says:

FATAL: CDArray<char>(max=2931000) ran out of memory

I tried to increase the memory settings on trespasser.ini but no luck (dunno what they do). What should I do? I don't wanna play on lower resolutions :(
Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Rebel »

Welcome. Can't really give you any advice on this other than to post up the crash dump results so that when Lee
drops on by he can give it a look. I will say though, that's one helluva screen resolution. My computers are rather
ancient, so I've never seen those numbers.
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

Yes, that's 4K resolution. I haven't played it beyond Full HD (1920*1080). My guess is there's just too much detail on the screen at 3840*2160, at least under some conditions. Too many polygons or too many points. There are some arrays declared with that name in the source code which are limted in size to uMAX_NUM_POLYGONS and uMAX_NUM_POINTS, which are 20000 and 4*20000, respectively.
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Tres WIP: updated T-Script Reference and File Formats documents
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
Isolt
Stegosaurus
Stegosaurus

Post by Isolt »

Is anyone else having trouble running GUIApp CE? I'm using the latest tpass-ce_edtools_v107e
Are there any prerequisites I'm missing? I've tried Win 7 and 10 and a few different computers.
When run it makes a bunch of mostly empty .txt files and a log file but doesn't bring up any GUI https://pastebin.com/CGgMQYUG
tatu
-=TresCom Website Manager=-

Post by tatu »

Make sure you have the trespasser.ini file and the DLL from the main CE download. That way it should work. You can also try to set "UseDX9=" to false in the trespasser.ini file that will be in the GUIApp folder. Sometimes I get that due to that setting.
Active project: Trespasser: Isla Sorna
BE-PH1: Released
PH2-IT: Pre-released
PL-SUM: In production

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Also GUIApp has no GUI, only menu options and key commands.
tatu

Post by tatu »

Draconisaurus wrote:Also GUIApp has no GUI, only menu options and key commands.
What? GUIApp has a UI. You can play the whole game in GUIApp in theory.

What he means is that the GUIApp only make some .txt files for him. I have the console (debug) option added in the .ini file. When I get what he describe I get the console and nothing else. GUIApp doesn't boot up. Sometimes it does, sometime it does not.

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
Isolt
Stegosaurus
Stegosaurus

Post by Isolt »

Thanks tatu. I was trying to run it as a stand alone program, all good now.
tatu

Post by tatu »

Isolt wrote:Thanks tatu. I was trying to run it as a stand alone program, all good now.
Glad you got it to work. I don't remember if Lee said at some point what was required or if I just figured it out myself. :)

darren_r_w
Dinosaur egg
Dinosaur egg

Post by darren_r_w »

About a week ago I got a copy of Trespasser (it's the collectors edition) and I was informed about a DX9 update for it from a friend (just the one who plays it; I don't know if they're on here, I didn't ask- but I will later).

I have never played or seen this game. I've watched every Jurassic Park movie to date however. Nobody I know in the last 20 years has mentioned Trespasser the 'PC Game' to me. I've heard about it; that's it. What I heard was about as interesting as listening to an Algebra Professor.

There were a lot of problems in the beginning and I didn't want to ask any questions about how to get it working because I wasn't exactly up for trying things out to make a 20 year old game work. Even on these forums, it seems to be all hidden away; and I'm not sure if it's your ISP or that you've limited access speeds to it, but there is a long, long delay loading pages on here for at least a week since. Downloads are fine at 2.4MB/sec... once the page loads (seems ok today).

I got CE/DX9 working before I did anything or played the game as it was.

By the time I got to the Town map, I had to say something.
It's a masterpiece. All of the areas/levels I've seen have an organic feel to them- they don't feel designed. They're messily done and very slightly chaotic. You can tell that they have been worked to a purely 'line of sight' for the line you should take (as long as you stick to the roads/path); together with a layered effect of trees and rolling hills and mountains inside of that view. It gives a feeling that you're in a natural environment that nature would do to itself before you called the local Gardener or start up your own lawnmower several years late.
The sound of the environment and the voiceovers are incredible.

Then you start to read about the story of the making of Trespasser.
If I understand this correctly, they were using the cartridge-based blocks known as Intel Pentium at 200Mhz with 256MB of RAM and a consumer requirement of a P166 with at least 32MB of RAM and preferably 64MB.
I don't have any of those and I don't want to find out what it would be like if I did.
And boy, did those developers make all of the wrong choices only bolstered back up by the sudden realisation that they had somebody who had made a remarkable physics engine that nobody had done before and what they could do with it if they had the chance to go all out with it and Steven Spielberg's authorisation...

The voiceovers save Trespasser. Because neither before nor now will we ever hear Richard Attenboroughs voice say those words. Unless an AI/Cloud algorithm imitated the voice (good luck with the license for that). Minnie Driver is surpringly good in this. Neither of them sound like they're acting; they don't sound anything like the horrific actors in games you get with the exception of Uncharted. None of it is forced.

I have some recommendations:

If you've goy access to C-Media's OpenAL driver, you have got to try this.

[SoundOpenAL]
DisableEAX=True

* in C-Media's OpenAL driver panel (I've got a Xonar Essence STX PCIe) click 'DSP' and then 'Dolby Headphone' (you get the EFX) and then on the right of it, there is a square box with 3 tabs, click on the Dolby 'H' icon and make sure it's set to 'Studio'.

[Controls]
MouseSensX=0.40
MouseSensY=0.40

Set your optical mouse to 4000dpi
(have vsync enabled in Trespasser CE)
* this will stop any vsync breaks or distant LOD loads because it's the turn rate of the view LOD that affects performance if you want to think it's an FPS game

[DisplayDX9]
LimitGpuCommandBuffer=1

* essentially to support the above in every way

[Memory]
MemSizeD3D=350

[Render]
CacheMinDist=170.0
* do not exceed this in any way; this will keep the Church in full LOD in almost every place in the Town area, with the exception of the landing pad at the top/rear of the visitor centre as you look back to the Church. If you go over 170.0, the LOD view when you look across the town from various points will judder even with a super smooth mouse turn (the Church remains full LOD and it still judders even if the Church is not full LOD). I haven't figured out what is causing that (I don't think it's the Intel 2500k at 3.3Ghz or the nVidia 660Ti [852Mhz incidentally] doing this); And they're both 26c and 44c respectively in operation after several hours.

MinTerrainNodeEvalDist=0.2
* sometimes when I turn, anything at the side of the view will blank out a surface of an object/wall entirely; very annoying. Then I found this. It fixed it completely. 0.1 didn't fully stop that from occurring. This started to happen when I increased the standard trespasser.ini values to within 90% of the 'HQ' settings, which I now currently use.

[[Things that should be made a lot more clear than they are on Trescom.org]]

In the Trespasser.ini there is mention by the author of 'max' settings "make sure it's on. It took a long time to figure out what they were referring to because I knew there was something wrong with the recommendation of a D3D texture filter over the non D3D texture filter.
It's in Trespasser's video options. In there, it's set as High. But there is a Maximum option. I have to play the game again because the difference in the ground textures is pretty significant. You get a carpet like effect to the ground textures in stead of a splodge.
Why the Trespasser.ini or the installation doesn't do that automatically, is a mystery to me; including D3D filtering to water as default.

I could send the trespasser.ini text in another post I suppose; I didn't want it here as it's a long amount of text added to the long amount of text I've already done.
tatu

Post by tatu »

Welcome to TresCom!

Sadly CE lacks depth information and comparing to the non CE patch, the game don't have as many settings to change.
The reason why there isn't any recommended setting is because even with CE, the game will behave very different on different computers. For some people high settings are fine while on some it will make it lag. Even with an engine that old, top modern system might not handle it with high settings due to the engine itself, and CE doesn't fix all issues.
There is also the case where a lot of us who's been here a long time don't care that much about the best setting, not to mention that while a setting might work with the original levels, they would make a fan level lag as they usually are much more detailed.

If you wanna upload your trespasser.ini you could put it in a .zip file and add it to the post if you want. :)

darren_r_w
Dinosaur egg
Dinosaur egg

Post by darren_r_w »

tatu wrote:Welcome to TresCom!

The reason why there isn't any recommended setting is because even with CE, the game will behave very different on different computers. For some people high settings are fine while on some it will make it lag. Even with an engine that old, top modern system might not handle it with high settings due to the engine itself, and CE doesn't fix all issues.
There is also the case where a lot of us who's been here a long time don't care that much about the best setting, not to mention that while a setting might work with the original levels, they would make a fan level lag as they usually are much more detailed.

If you wanna upload your trespasser.ini you could put it in a .zip file and add it to the post if you want. :)

It was only intended for the main game. But a 2500k and 660Ti is the level aimed for and nothing less. I don't expect mobile-class business laptops should be ever considered for CE or for anyone to consider it unless it's at or above that.

I had a look at the Trespasser HD remake. I went from facing the sea to facing the beach with a slideshow effect. Now I know what the original development must have felt when they were trying to making the game probably after the first year from 1996.
Attachments
trespasser.rar
trespasser.ini setting ideally for i5-2500k cpu and nVidia 660Ti class gpu
4000dpi capable optical mouse
(1.16 KiB) Downloaded 413 times