Build 22/32 pids

Discuss early Trespasser builds and all other early Trespasser stuff here! Discover more amazing stuff about the game!

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Board Managers, TresCom Developers

Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Build 22/32 pids

Post by Rebel »

This is mostly to machf since I think he's familiar with the file's structure. Do you know the
differences involved?

I can force tresed to load those builds, but without textures. My swap_viewer goes through
the files, but I'm guessing that it's displaying only half the amount of textures.

Any thoughts?
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Re: Build 22/32 pids

Post by machf »

Ask tatu, I think he went through them. Right now I don't remember if I looked at them or not...
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Tres WIP: updated T-Script Reference and File Formats documents
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
tatu
-=TresCom Website Manager=-
Antispam: No

Post by tatu »

I usd SWPExt to extract all textures and then used GeomAdd's verify function to get the names, and then I renamed all by hand (or most anyway) as GeomAdd appear to list them in the correct order, most of the part.

As for the file structure, I have no idea :D
Active project: Trespasser: Isla Sorna
BE-PH1: Released
PH2-IT: Pre-released
PL-SUM: In production

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

OK, I'll take a look at them, then...

(BTW, there are a few whose names you didn't get properly, I think...)
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
tatu

Post by tatu »

machf wrote:(BTW, there are a few whose names you didn't get properly, I think...)
In the end I think I only fully renamed Build 22 IJ and PV and then used those for Build 32. I did a lot of compare between the retail ones when I was unsure so texture issues seen in the level is probably due to issues in the GRF or something rather than the textures themselves.

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

Well, there's a road texture in PV which definitely has the wrong name for some reason... and PH is missing some textures here and there.

Going back to the subject at hand: my first analysis of the files (checking the source, too) seems to indicate that the only differences between PID files version 1.2.0 (early builds) and 1.3.0 (later builds, including the retail) aside from the version number itself (first 4 bytes, 0x120 or 0x130, respectively) seems to be the way the hash values for the texture names are calculated... but forget about calculating a new hash from an old one for an easy conversion, I don't think that's possible.

In the end, the way tatu did the conversion IS the way to go; extract all the textures from the version 120 files (which can be read just like the version 130 files) and store them in a new version 130 file, finding out their names first. If you find a way to automate the process, well...

EDIT: The other possibility would be to find out how the old hash was calculated, then go through all the texture names for each level in order to build a reference table containing both the old-style hash values and the new-style ones for each texture name, and use that to do a global replace in the version 120 .PID files (also updating the version number in the header from 0x120 to 0x130).
tatu

Post by tatu »

It is really only a few hours of hard work to rename the textures so I think that is quicker.

Yeah, I never fully finished them as 99% of the stuff in the level was foliage and renaming all the $ texture was just tons of work.

And I don't know about the PV Road. I guess I could've named some wrong, it's been too long. I think I stopped cause not that many people seemed interested in them anyway :P

Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Rebel »

Yeah, had a feeling it was the hash values when the textures were mia since both file versions seem
to have identical structures. I thought about tatu's method myself and figured it would take quite a
bit of time to rebuild a new pid/swp pack.
tatu

Post by tatu »

Rebel wrote:Yeah, had a feeling it was the hash values when the textures were mia since both file versions seem
to have identical structures. I thought about tatu's method myself and figured it would take quite a
bit of time to rebuild a new pid/swp pack.
But you would only need to do it once :D
I might take another shoot at it soon again, just to finally do it.

machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

I'm searching for the description of the hash function. I don't think it's the same CRC-32 as the sound names inthe .TPA files, although Andres (or maybe it was TSOrd, I don't know who wrote that part) says that it's combined with the bumpmap's filename too... so far, I haven't been able to calculate valid hashes for neither the v120 nor the v130 versions.
tatu

Post by tatu »

The source is of no help either with information? Not even for v130?

machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

I haven't found whichever section deals with it yet...
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

Hey, Rebel, tatu and I were further discussing this via PM and I made some progress, I've just CCd you my latest answer...