How to install custom levels

Creating new content for Trespasser!

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Board Managers, TresCom Developers

Deadeyeguy_45
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

How to install custom levels

Post by Deadeyeguy_45 »

I can't find any instructions on how to install custom levels from the TresCom site. Could someone here explain how to do so?
In 2012, I was abused by a Weird Al lookalike. :nerd: :cry:
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Re: How to install custom levels

Post by TheIdiot »

Deadeyeguy_45 wrote:I can't find any instructions on how to install custom levels from the TresCom site. Could someone here explain how to do so?
Most of them are pretty simple to install - just drop the .wtd, .swp, .pid, .grf, and .scn files in your Trespasser "Data" folder. However, some of them (East Dock, TC~Isle off the top of my head) have additional files that will need to be installed differently - make sure you read the readmes of such levels to make sure you install those right. Also some levels (JPDS, The Lagoon) run on standalone engines and can be installed as-is in their own folder and run independently of your vanilla installation.
Once the level is installed, you can access the Level Select Menu by hitting CTRL+SHIFT+Q+W on the main menu. It should show up in the list that appears. :)
CrustyMcButternuts
Dinosaur egg
Dinosaur egg

Post by CrustyMcButternuts »

Maybe it's because I downloaded the game (lost the disc years ago), but I don't have a data folder. The only folder says 'menu'.
Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Rebel »

Just download levels that say they are 'stand_alone', meaning the level is prepackaged with
its own engine. Nothing to install. ;)
Nick3069
Albertosaurus
Albertosaurus

Post by Nick3069 »

Except TC ops levels requires CD verification to launch them for some reason.

The easiest way to play downloaded levels it to download the official Trespasser demo, extract it to your desired location, extract your downloaded level in to the data folder and then start the demo, use the level select cheat (CTRL+SHIFT+Q+W in the main menu), select the level and have fun.

The downside to using the demo is that you have very limited sound effect, so dinosaurs other than T. Rex and raptors sound like volley balls and voice overs and music will bleep. You can fix this by copying the TPA files (ambient.tpa, stream.tpa, effects.tpa) from the full game. I think the TPA files are available for download somewhere.

Also when using the demo, whenever you quit the game a splash screen will pop up telling you to buy the game, but if you use the Trespasser CE executable (tpassp6.exe) then you don't have to deal with that annoyance.
tatu
-=TresCom Website Manager=-
-=TresCom Website Manager=-
Antispam: No

Post by tatu »

CrustyMcButternuts wrote:Maybe it's because I downloaded the game (lost the disc years ago), but I don't have a data folder. The only folder says 'menu'.
The "data" folder is only present on the CD and is not moved when installing the game. However, you can use the Demo (with the 4 TPA from the CD) and play any level, fan or original.
If you install the game as a HD installation, it means you move the CD to the PC first and then install the game, then you put the fan levels in the TresCD/Data folder :)
Active project: Trespasser: Isla Sorna
BE-PH1: Released
PH2-IT: Pre-released
PL-SUM: In production

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer
Antispam: No

Post by Draconisaurus »

Welcome to Jurassic Weld.

..Basically, to install the game, first copy the CD files into their own folder and remove the CD from your computer, then install from there. Uninstall first if you've already installed it a different way.