How do you install graphical mods, like the T-Rex skin?

Discuss the game Trespasser here!

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Board Managers

VVictoria
Dinosaur egg
Dinosaur egg

How do you install graphical mods, like the T-Rex skin?

Post by VVictoria »

I haven't found any instructions on the forum or in the zip file, nor is there any obvious place to put them as I can't find a folder containing any such image files (except for one for the mouse.)

Thank you for reading!
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Re: How do you install graphical mods, like the T-Rex skin?

Post by TheIdiot »

VVictoria wrote:I haven't found any instructions on the forum or in the zip file, nor is there any obvious place to put them as I can't find a folder containing any such image files (except for one for the mouse.)

Thank you for reading!
Welcome to the forum! :)

Unfortunately installing skins is a bit more difficult of a procedure than you might think - you'll have to export the model that you want to replace the textures of from the base game using TresEd, replace the old texture files which will be extracted along with the model with your new ones, then re-import the model into the level using GeomAdd.

However, if you're using Trespasser CE, there's a way around this. In Trespasser's data folder, you can create a folder called "texhw", and then inside of your new texhw folder, you'll want to create another folder called "map". Provided the new textures have the same name as the ones you want to replace, you can now place the new textures in the map folder and the game will automatically replace them. The downside to this is that the distant impostors (the 2D planar versions of objects which replace them at a distance) will still use the old textures.
VVictoria
Dinosaur egg
Dinosaur egg

Post by VVictoria »

That's great! Thank you! Another question, where are some of the releases for things like the supposed remake of trespasser? Does that developer really plan on keeping it to himself until he considers it finished? I'm just curious, thank you.
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

VVictoria wrote:That's great! Thank you! Another question, where are some of the releases for things like the supposed remake of trespasser? Does that developer really plan on keeping it to himself until he considers it finished? I'm just curious, thank you.
If you're talking about Trespassing by s1n31, yeah, sadly it hasn't been released yet. :? He did release a tech demo of it a long time ago, but I don't know what ever happened to it myself, and the site (Trespasser Petrolia) hasn't been updated for a long time.

I myself have been working on a remake of Trespasser's original levels in Trespasser itself, and I've released a mostly-finished version of the first level if you're interested. :) It's certainly no Trespassing, though.
VVictoria
Dinosaur egg
Dinosaur egg

Post by VVictoria »

Yes! I would be quite interested! Have you improved the graphical fidelity?

On a side note:
What do the trespasser.ini settings like mincul represent exactly? I'd like to maximize everything graphically wise.
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

VVictoria wrote:Yes! I would be quite interested! Have you improved the graphical fidelity?
As much as the game will allow, yes. The link to the level thread is in my signature, and you can find plenty of screenshots there as well.
On a side note:
What do the trespasser.ini settings like mincul represent exactly? I'd like to maximize everything graphically wise.
I'd recommend that in that case you simply use the HD .ini file included with CE as it has most things set as high as they can go. There are some minor things you can tweak, but you'll want to see the documentation for that as I'm not sure on everything in there. Try not to set things too high, though, as it will probably break some fan levels which have a lot of detail.
VVictoria
Dinosaur egg
Dinosaur egg

Post by VVictoria »

Thank you for that. Is it possible to upgrade the game's engine? How did they upgrade it from direct x 6 to 9?
VVictoria
Dinosaur egg
Dinosaur egg

Post by VVictoria »

Also, as for your original comment. Trespasser's data folder, it doesn't have one explicitly named that. Is it the menu folder?
tatu
-=TresCom Website Manager=-
-=TresCom Website Manager=-
Antispam: No

Post by tatu »

Welcome to TresCom! :)
That's great! Thank you! Another question, where are some of the releases for things like the supposed remake of trespasser? Does that developer really plan on keeping it to himself until he considers it finished? I'm just curious, thank you.
For Trespassing I know the dev is really busy with family life. However, I believe he is still working on it when time gives, only that there are no update posted.
As TheIdiot say, either use the HQ one in the config folder of the CE download, or check the trespasser.ini file in the main folder for description on what everything does.
Thank you for that. Is it possible to upgrade the game's engine? How did they upgrade it from direct x 6 to 9?
It would be possible. The game's source leaked several years ago. However, it is a huge task and the source is quite messy. Even the devs have said it is easier to redo the source from scratch anyway. I guess it would be possible if people had the time to redo the game in something like Unity.
Also, as for your original comment. Trespasser's data folder, it doesn't have one explicitly named that. Is it the menu folder?
How did you install the game? You can just create the /data folder (and put the menu folder inside it). Or just copy the /data folder from the CD. The tpass.ini file in CE will then copy the installation to it allowing it to be "portable". Or just download the Demo, move over the data folder and install the CE patch on it, that way you have a portable installation (using the demo tpass.ini). :)
Active project: Trespasser: Isla Sorna
BE-PH1: Released
PH2-IT: Pre-released
PL-SUM: In production

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer
Antispam: No

Post by Draconisaurus »

Welcome, to Jurassic Trespasser. 8)

VVictoria, TheIdiot mentioned in his post to create a new folder for maps; it isn't there by default.
darren_r_w
Dinosaur egg
Dinosaur egg

Post by darren_r_w »

TheIdiot wrote:
VVictoria wrote:I haven't found any instructions on the forum or in the zip file, nor is there any obvious place to put them as I can't find a folder containing any such image files (except for one for the mouse.)

Thank you for reading!
-The downside to this is that the distant impostors (the 2D planar versions of objects which replace them at a distance) will still use the old textures.

As far as I can tell with CE, 2D planar version of dinosaurs don't seem to exist. Unless you mean when they're in a dormant AI state or when they get dropped in behind rocks et al. I've never seen a 2D planar of any dinosaur yet.