Missing menu button sound

Discuss the game Trespasser here!

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Board Managers

Trespasserguy123
Dinosaur egg
Dinosaur egg

Missing menu button sound

Post by Trespasserguy123 »

This is really strange. I'm seeing this on one of my windows 10 machines. One works fine and the other no button bang.
Tried the A3d DLL thing but that didn't change anything.
Not sure why this would happen.
Is this sound just another .wav file or what ?
All the other sounds seem to be present. Although the gun bangs are a little quieter than usual. But they are there.
Any ideas for me to try ?
thanks
Oh I just remembered Annies voice telling you your ammo level isn't there either.
tatu
-=TresCom Website Manager=-
Antispam: No

Re: Missing menu button sound

Post by tatu »

Would require some more information. Did you do a hard drive install? If you install in Program Files folder, make sure to install as admin as it might not copy all the required files. I believe the minimum installation is the only that moves only the menu.tpa file which mean it might be missing in your installation folder.
Active project: Trespasser: Isla Sorna
BE-PH1: Released
PH2-IT: Pre-released
PL-SUM: In production

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

The "sound going away" sounds like an improper installation to me... IIRC, it was necessary to use either ATX or Tres CE to fix that.
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Tres WIP: updated T-Script Reference and File Formats documents
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
Trespasserguy123
Dinosaur egg
Dinosaur egg

Actually this is not an install. I'm using the demo engine with the installed game files.
That still doesn't answer why it works on one machine and not the other.
Identical windows 10 installs. Different computers though.
The computer that works fine is a gigabyte GA-250M-DS3H mb using internal audio and graphics. 8gb memory.
The one I'm having problems with is also a gigabyte GA-H55M-S2H mb also using internal audio and graphics. 4gb memory.
I have been playing this on XP machines with much less memory and never any audio problems. That figures.
Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Rebel »

You could try running trespass.exe under xp compatibility mode, might work. To be honest, if my xp
machine hadn't died last year, I'd still be using it. I don't like windows 10 all that much. Windows 7
I use most of the time, I only use my win10 machine for compatibility testing and going online.
Trespasserguy123
Dinosaur egg
Dinosaur egg

Yes I am using windows 10 compatibility mode. The game would not have worked at all otherwise.

Does anyone know how the button bang noise and Annie's ammo notification have to do with one and another.
And how they differ from the other sound files ?
Maybe that would clue us into finding out what the problem is.
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

Have you bothered configuring the game at first, and not just dumping the trespasser.ini file from Trespasser CE into the demo folder? Run it at least once without CE or ATX, letting the program detect your hardware. Exit and THEN use CE.
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
Trespasserguy123
Dinosaur egg
Dinosaur egg

None of my XP machines had any problem with how I have this set up.

My first use on windows 10 worked perfectly. With compatibility or course.

I just don't get why the second attempt should be different ?

That's just not how confusers work is it ?!?!

Oh well.
Last edited by Trespasserguy123 on Sun Jan 27, 2019 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Honestly there's no connection between Anne's ammo counts and any one of the menu sounds. Best guess on my side is that you have a corrupted installation - possibly faulty computer parts? Bad ROM drive?
Try moving the CD files from the computer where it works onto the other one and install from that.
tatu

Post by tatu »

Draconisaurus wrote:Honestly there's no connection between Anne's ammo counts and any one of the menu sounds. Best guess on my side is that you have a corrupted installation - possibly faulty computer parts? Bad ROM drive?
Try moving the CD files from the computer where it works onto the other one and install from that.
It wouldn't be caused by faulty computer parts. It might be a corrupted menu.tpa file tho.
Does anyone know how the button bang noise and Annie's ammo notification have to do with one and another.
And how they differ from the other sound files ?
The menu audio is contained inside the "menu.tpa" file inside the /data folder while Anne's ammo notification is present inside the "effects.tpa" file. Do you have the menu.tpa file in your data folder?
However, make sure you replace the all 4 TPA files inside the DEMO /data folder with the ones from the game CD, otherwise you will have missing sound when playing anything other than the demo level.
Actually this is not an install. I'm using the demo engine with the installed game files.
That still doesn't answer why it works on one machine and not the other.
Identical windows 10 installs. Different computers though.
It could be drivers issues. I used to have a Windows 7 computer and it would act different each time I reinstalled it.
Have you bothered configuring the game at first, and not just dumping the trespasser.ini file from Trespasser CE into the demo folder? Run it at least once without CE or ATX, letting the program detect your hardware. Exit and THEN use CE.
He never said he was using CE or ATX to begin with.
Active project: Trespasser: Isla Sorna
BE-PH1: Released
PH2-IT: Pre-released
PL-SUM: In production

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

tatu wrote: He never said he was using CE or ATX to begin with.
He should. Those problems are more related to the original executables not working well with newer hardware and OS's in the first place.
Trespasserguy123
Dinosaur egg
Dinosaur egg

Tatu you were right it was a driver issue. The sounds are working now.
Windows 10 drivers really aren't available for this older mother board. gigabyte GA-H55M-S2H
I tried reinstalling the audio drivers from vista. That solved the problem.
I guess that win 10 doesn't always find the best drivers after all.
Thanks guys for the suggestions.
I wonder what other drivers aren't up to snuff ?
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

It's always best if you download the drivers directly from the manufacturer's site and install them manually. Relying on Windows' abilities has never been a good idea...
What about the video card?