Updating JP3 Raptor Skins

Creating new content for Trespasser!

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Board Managers, TresCom Developers

Second Illiteration
Albertosaurus
Albertosaurus

Re: Updating JP3 Raptor Skins

Post by Second Illiteration »

This is basically my first real foray into digital art, turned out much better than I anticipated. T.I. perhaps we could collaborate on some original hi-res dino skins.

Not sure how it would translate to how I was doing skins before. My old way of doing was basically just chopping up photos and aligning the parts to create the skin. I guess maybe I could still do that, just chopping up my own drawings.
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

I'd suggest using layers, painting on top of the original skin...
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Tres WIP: updated T-Script Reference and File Formats documents
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
Second Illiteration
Albertosaurus
Albertosaurus

machf wrote:I'd suggest using layers, painting on top of the original skin...
The one issue with that is where the skin splits...getting that matching up might be quite time consuming
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

This is basically my first real foray into digital art, turned out much better than I anticipated. T.I. perhaps we could collaborate on some original hi-res dino skins.
I might be up for that, what do you have in mind? :) However, my one concern is that the quality might not match-up if you're drawing them by hand and I'm still stitching them together from images, which is what I've been doing for the longest time. I'm no good at drawing on a computer - my only skill on that front is on paper. :?
The one issue with that is where the skin splits...getting that matching up might be quite time consuming
It's actually not that hard to patch up the seams. What I usually do is open the model in Max and mess around with the seams until they look good, since you can see your edits in real-time in Max. Though I can see how it would become difficult if you were drawing from scratch...
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer
Antispam: No

Post by Draconisaurus »

SI, to clarify, when you save a BMP or w/e in Photoshop which is used by-name in a Max scene on a model, you can minimize and then maximize a given perspective window in Max and it will then show the updated version of the texture.
Second Illiteration
Albertosaurus
Albertosaurus

Well I always just used TPDC, I don't have Max. TI, I guess I was just thinking I would draw something up, and pass it along to you to create an HD skin version of it. I'm not really familiar with what is required to make a HD texture. Most likely what I'll probably do is just start posting up the art, and if someone wants to transfer it to textures for Tres, that would be cool
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

Second Illiteration wrote:I'm not really familiar with what is required to make a HD texture.
Basically, enlarging the image from the original 256*256 pixels to something like 1024*1024 or higher, and then adding more detail to it...
Most likely what I'll probably do is just start posting up the art, and if someone wants to transfer it to textures for Tres, that would be cool
Great.
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
Second Illiteration
Albertosaurus
Albertosaurus

So I've been working on some raptor skin art...

If any one id's interested in larger images let me know
Attachments
orig raptor.jpg
orig raptor.jpg (93.07 KiB) Viewed 28506 times
jp3 male.jpg
jp3 male.jpg (85.64 KiB) Viewed 28506 times
jp3 female.jpg
jp3 female.jpg (78.73 KiB) Viewed 28506 times
tlw raptor.jpg
tlw raptor.jpg (86.4 KiB) Viewed 28506 times
sketch1544289942939.jpg
sketch1544289942939.jpg (79.61 KiB) Viewed 28506 times
jp raptor.jpg
jp raptor.jpg (78.67 KiB) Viewed 28506 times
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Hey now, those look excellent! I especially like the top skin, looks very realistic. The Lost World Raptor also looks quite nice, though the movie version has a bit more of a contrasting colour scheme with a whiter underbelly than what you've got so far. Also note that the Raptors in the first two movies don't have the bump on their snout (or at least it isn't as prominent). There's also a third brown-green colour scheme on the JP1-style Raptors that not many people seem to notice, present on one of the two Raptors that end up fighting each other over Sarah at the end of the Lost World.

Any plans to do the JP1 Raptors? I have a ton of reference material for them if you need it. :wink:

Ah, and what model, if any, are these going to be used for? I could definitely use some of these in RTJP. :)
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer
Antispam: No

Post by Draconisaurus »

Slick work SI. Do I suppose correctly at the top one is inspired by your Megaraptor from JPDS? Also I echo TI's inquiry about what model these go on... Knowing how you used to do skins, you had these mapped to a raptor model and used TPDC to view as you edited?
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

Hey, those look great! Looks like you had been busy lately and didn't tell us until now...
Second Illiteration
Albertosaurus
Albertosaurus

These are all hand drawn/painted from scratch in Autodesk sketchbook. I looked at some reference pics, but ultimately the goal was to make representations and not exact replicas of the films.

The top skin was just me randomly adding stuff and playing with filter modes.

So all in all these don't belong to any model as yet, but could be put on one of some one wanted.
Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Rebel »

Actually, they are awesome. Nice work, man. :) You have quite the talent there.
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Second Illiteration wrote:So all in all these don't belong to any model as yet, but could be put on one of some one wanted.
Would love to see these adapted to the TC Raptor once they're done...looks like they would fit on very reasonably without too much tweaking as well. I think we could always use more skins for CAnimals!