Discuss the game Trespasser here!

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Board Managers

Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer
Antispam: No

Discussion - Ascent

Post by Draconisaurus »

Thought I'd start a new topic for discussiong the Ascent level(s) from retail and beta. They don't talked about a whole lot, but are nice to get sort of lost in an ancient forest within, and such.

One thing that intrigues me about them is that, originally, the WTD file of (AS? AS2?) is called "AS4". Thinking that the levels were at some point split into 4 pieces instead of only 2. Possibly to fit denser foliage?
As well, we classically divide IJ into 1-2-3. Perhaps we should agree on a 1-2-3-4 division of the Ascent levels for discussion & analysis?
Click on Image
(Click on thumbnail for full size)
tatu
-=TresCom Website Manager=-

Re: Discussion - Ascent

Post by tatu »

Draconisaurus wrote:One thing that intrigues me about them is that, originally, the WTD file of (AS? AS2?) is called "AS4". Thinking that the levels were at some point split into 4 pieces instead of only 2. Possibly to fit denser foliage?
It is only the retail game that have AS2 .wtd named AS4. Earlier ones is named AS2. It is probably just a misspelling made. At one point they planned both Ascent levels to be one, you can see that in the walkthrough document and in the terrain exporter script.
I am sure the level was never meant to be split up into 4 levels, that would make them really tiny.
Active project: Trespasser: Isla Sorna
BE-PH1: Released
PH2-IT: Pre-released
PL-SUM: In production

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Right but that is part of what I mean. Possibly a plan for tiny levels with dense foliage. With the way they are set up linearlly I would think it could have worked. At any rate, perhaps "AS1" could be the part which is included in the beta, right after LAB. AS2, the original start up through the Mayan ruins. AS3 the beginning of retail-AS2, and AS4 would be the actual climb up Mt Watson..
masterchiefoo7
Compsognathus
Compsognathus

Post by masterchiefoo7 »

Below are two quotes from previews in 1998, relating to areas in the game that we ended up not seeing:
by Tom Chick
(8/18/98)

I'm huddled over a monitor with Austin Grossman, lead designer of DreamWorks Interactive's Trespasser. He's matter-of-factly showing me one of the game's levels in which the lead character, Anne, is navigating a maze of powered-down, unlocked dinosaur pens. Suddenly, a shrieking Raptor shoves one of the pen doors open with its nose and surges out into the corridor.

"Cool!" Grossman cries. "I've never seen them do that--I've never seen one of them come through the door like that!"
I think would have been after the lab scene, so possibly part of Ascent. There is a gap on the map between lab and ascent 1.
Tim Krupinski

Another example of the physics-based sound, you see a Velociraptor at the
bottom of a hill. You quickly dislodge the boulder next to you with your crowbar
and send it rolling down at the dinosaur, crushing him. What do you hear? In any
other game you might hear a thump and a default scream. What do you hear in
Trespasser? The crowbar making contact with the rock, the rock slowly rolling
down the hill, gaining speed as it moves faster, the rock hitting the raptor,
the raptor's bones breaking, and finally the raptor screaming for help.
I feel the second quote was cut from Ascent. Perhaps it turned into the Mayan Temple and T Rex area of Ascent?
Hammond: When they opened Disneyland in 1956, nothing worked!

Ian: Yeah, but when Pirates of the Caribbean breaks down, the pirates don't eat the tourists...

visit my website @ http://www.freewebs.com/masterchiefoo7
tatu

Post by tatu »

I think would have been after the lab scene, so possibly part of Ascent. There is a gap on the map between lab and ascent 1.
I think it is just overreacting to get peoples interest in the game "look how cool we are making it". The gap was solved when we got build 96 years ago, as the AS1 level in it had the missing part.
I feel the second quote was cut from Ascent. Perhaps it turned into the Mayan Temple and T Rex area of Ascent?
E3's build of Trespasser, PV got crowbars. However, this sound more to me like an example of how their sound system works (sound+sound=sound). I don't think they actually implemented that. I don't think it would work in any state the engine has been in, not to mention it sounds like a typical Indiana Jones easter egg.

Nice finding tho :P

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

masterchiefoo7 wrote:Below are two quotes from previews in 1998, relating to areas in the game that we ended up not seeing:
by Tom Chick
(8/18/98)

I'm huddled over a monitor with Austin Grossman, lead designer of DreamWorks Interactive's Trespasser. He's matter-of-factly showing me one of the game's levels in which the lead character, Anne, is navigating a maze of powered-down, unlocked dinosaur pens. Suddenly, a shrieking Raptor shoves one of the pen doors open with its nose and surges out into the corridor.

"Cool!" Grossman cries. "I've never seen them do that--I've never seen one of them come through the door like that!"
And of course, that's the inspiration for my Pens level... right there.
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Tres WIP: updated T-Script Reference and File Formats documents
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
Velociraptor Alfa
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

Post by Velociraptor Alfa »

I think I remember reading an article mentioning the area of Industrial Jungle with the raft and the lake from Design Documents. Sadly, I don't remember what was the name of it.
"To defeat an enemy, you must know them. Not simply their battle tactics, but their history, philosophy, art." - Grand Admiral Thrawn
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

As Tatu said, 'we now know' that the area between LAB and AS is a basic hill ascension, no additional pens. With our new perspective, that little snippet sounds like an earlier version of the LAB animal pens where a raptor was on the other side of a physically-shut-but-openable door, and the raptor came thru it. I had similar events in making JPDS where dinosaurs unexpectedly entered interior settings.
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Velociraptor Alfa wrote:I think I remember reading an article mentioning the area of Industrial Jungle with the raft and the lake from Design Documents. Sadly, I don't remember what was the name of it.
This area exists in one of the early builds we recieved, though the lake itself and the swamp are absent (likely due to Tres's inability to render large bodies of water). Sadly the area is pretty unremarkable without much to see or do in the early version, since the developers don't seem to have implemented the features described in the documentation.
The lake area is there in the retail game - it filled the area between the first T-rex encounter to the gorge - but without any distinguishing features, and the swamp was where the Raptor-filled gorge and rock steps are.
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

As a note, the old versions of IJ feature a very flat terrain in the lake-area which could be quickly converted into ocean-type water. I'd like to see that done sometime.
tatu

Post by tatu »

Draconisaurus wrote:As a note, the old versions of IJ feature a very flat terrain in the lake-area which could be quickly converted into ocean-type water. I'd like to see that done sometime.
I personally think that would look quite dull. You are meant to see the bottom and without the water line effect, not as fun :P

Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

:yum: It would be an efficient use of the terrain given to us by the devs. I'd like to see it done sometime. Ofc considering original dev plans I suppose it wouldn't be difficult to round out the lake bottom in honor of that. Who knows CE might even be able to handle it as a CWaterEntity.
tatu

Post by tatu »

Draconisaurus wrote::yum: It would be an efficient use of the terrain given to us by the devs. I'd like to see it done sometime. Ofc considering original dev plans I suppose it wouldn't be difficult to round out the lake bottom in honor of that. Who knows CE might even be able to handle it as a CWaterEntity.
It would require some editing anyway as the lake is higher than the IJ stream.

Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Huh interesting. Imagine making water all the way through IJ1 and IJ2 0_0