TheIdiot's new mod set on Isla Nublar

Moderators: scallenger, Wajas, TheIdiot

TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Re: Most recent old RTJP - from 2014-2017

Post by TheIdiot »

machf wrote:
TheIdiot wrote: That sounds about right. Isla Nublar would be 99% jungle, and you'd be walking along roads for hours. It just wouldn't be fun.
I'm not so sure about that. Ever played TL1?
The problem with Nublar is that it's so large, and we already have a preset geography to go by. I was referring to an Isla Nublar map at 1:1 scale...it would be absolutely enormous by Trespasser standards. As I discovered a while back, Isla Nublar at its widest point is 20 miles across - and the island is roughly double that size vertically. There's no way that, even if we could make a level that large, it would be interesting to play whatsoever.

TL1 on the other hand has no particular geography it had to go by, which allows for far more creative freedom and overall makes it far more interesting.
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer
Antispam: No

Post by Draconisaurus »

I wouldn't call them linear but TL1 didn't cover near as much area as RTJP gets into. TI I must admit I am worried about your ability to cover all areas in your latest version with interesting stuff.
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Draconisaurus wrote:I wouldn't call them linear but TL1 didn't cover near as much area as RTJP gets into. TI I must admit I am worried about your ability to cover all areas in your latest version with interesting stuff.
I was worried as well until I actually got going on the current level. At the moment, you can actually walk across the entire level from start to finish, so I'm able to get a good idea of where there needs to be more interesting stuff thrown in the mix. A big change as well is that my terrain skills have improved a lot since that version, so there are more interesting terrain features spread about the level which will break up the monotony that was the older level.

The movement of the helipad to a different location in the south of the island also made a massive difference, as you no longer have to walk those endless empty cliff roads to get out of the southern mountains. That was one of the things I disliked most about the earlier level, and I'm really glad to have found a way to eliminate 75% of that trek in this version. Thusfar, as per my planning, there is a grand total of 1 uninteresting road section in the entire mod (not just Helipad) which I simply have no way to fit anything interesting into...but luckily, I have an idea which will vastly reduce the time it takes to cover that stretch of road. :wink:

Here's a comparison between the scales of some of the largest Tres levels to date (plus East Dock since it's a Nublar mod) and RTJP's Isla Nublar. On the right is a small corner of a 1:1 scale Isla Nublar map. Don't even suggest trying to squeeze in 1:1 scale Sorna, since it's about double the size of Nublar. :P
TheKritter71
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

Post by TheKritter71 »

I meant not in 1:1 scale, but a big sense of scale enough for where the narrative/action takes place, sort of like a Trespasser type pathway, something that would take acouple hours to get through even though you aren't progressing through the island much. JPDS is exactly what it is, a big area in parts covering the southern part of Sorna. And your current Nublar mapping will work, helipad>next level>next level>etc
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

TheKritter71 wrote:I meant not in 1:1 scale, but a big sense of scale enough for where the narrative takes place, sort of like a Trespasser type size, something that would take acouple hours to get through even though you aren't progressing through the island much. JPDS is exactly what it is, a big area in parts covering the southern part of Sorna.
Yes, that could certainly have worked, but again you'd only be seeing a small chunk of Nublar and encountering very few actual locations. The distance between the VC and the Raptor pit would be about the same distance between the Beach and the Town, for instance, if I was using the same coordinates for locations as in RTJP. I wouldn't want to compress all of Nublar's major facilities into one small patch of terrain.
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Nice map... That corner of Nublar looks like it's about to step on everything lol.

...Picking up the tour!

The main gate, looking all quite impressive.
Click on Image
(Click on thumbnail for full size)
The Visitor Center at last! I like this bridge thing.
Click on Image
Looks a lot like that VC artwork on the main site.
Click on Image
Really like this hallway for some reason. I think because it comes between places we DID get to see.
Click on Image
In the end I had to fly to get there, into the Control Room. Very nice, John. Would be nice to have a puzzle requiring you to use one or more of these somehow.
Click on Image
A hatchery for visiting disgruntled employees...
Click on Image
Spooky intro to the Raptor Pens. I notice there are several places outdoors with lights where we really wouldn't be seeing them.. I still think you should add the viewing area in the tower as the blueprints show and Hammond mentions in the film.
Click on Image
And that concludes this part of my tour! Next time, into the Park.
Click on Image
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Nice map... That corner of Nublar looks like it's about to step on everything lol.
:lol:
Exactly what I was thinking. It needs very dramatic music, "pom, pom, pom", a little march or something. :P
The Visitor Center at last! I like this bridge thing.
The bridge is still there in the new version, albiet with a new and improved model. :wink:
Really like this hallway for some reason. I think because it comes between places we DID get to see.
Credit hppav with that one. There are still some things left to put in there, and there should be a railing on the balcony outside, as well as a staircase to the roof.
I notice there are several places outdoors with lights where we really wouldn't be seeing them..
Yeah, I only had those in as placeholders in case of night-time. They would have been hidden in the final version.
I still think you should add the viewing area in the tower as the blueprints show and Hammond mentions in the film.
I'll have to continue to think about that one as it would require a lot of tedious terrain work, since it's underground. My impression was always more that they would have improved the exterior walkways and fencing so as to be safe for visitors, adding glass to the fences and such. Remember that this was not originally the holding pen for the Raptors - presumably the viewing areas would have been added later.
TheKritter71
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

Post by TheKritter71 »

Yeah, this map is amazing aside from the engine limitations. Reminds me of what JPO could of been *looks down in sadness*
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

TheKritter71 wrote:Yeah, this map is amazing aside from the engine limitations. Reminds me of what JPO could of been *looks down in sadness*
Thanks, Krit. :) But the old level is nothing compared to the new one...in paraphrase, as Draco put it, "it feels like the first time I've seen a real tropical island in Trespasser!"

EDIT: Cool, just reached T-rex rank with that one! :P
Click on Image
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

...What did you put in there, King Kong? :P

We are now notified for resume.
So as it turned out the park area after the JP gate was.. mostly empty. Went into full-on fly mode to continue exploring.

I reeaally liked this area. It's so cool and swampy! Only wish it had better terrain textures.
Click on Image
It was around here that the basketball dinos began to be accompanied by an angry trashcan, caught somewhere in the whirling blades of those three dots in the North.
Click on Image
Fun JPDS Utility Shed style interior...
Click on Image
I just loved the angle from this view. Very nice environment. Honestly this expansive island, if possible, would have been beautiful to look at.
Click on Image
So this desert path thingy.. I just like it. Might steal those terrain textures sometime. They would make for great future Uxmal mods.
Click on Image
Very nice, John. Very JP-themed VIP hotel rooms with a lovely view, I like it.
Click on Image
And finally... TI tells me he doesn't like this building but I love it. Since it won't be in the final RTJP I might just put it somewhere sometime.
Click on Image
fin!
DennisNedry
Parasaurus
Parasaurus
Location: Over here hacking . . . I mean protecting your computer! :)

Post by DennisNedry »

This is so awesome! :yum: I just loved the old RTJP project that you posted. Hopefully some more of the Visitors center is playable. I had a blast playing around and exploring the level, so my expectations for this are high. You are so good at making modded levels it is unreal. Can't wait to see what surprises await me, Thank you so much for releasing this! Time to enter the world of Jurassic Park yet again, wish me luck! Hopefully I don't meet any Dilophosauruses! :o
Hammond: Our lives are in your hands and you have butterfingers?
Nedry: AH AH AH you didn't say the magic word! SNICKERS!
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

I have no idea how I missed your post back in October, Drac, but I'll elaborate now. :P
We are now notified for resume.
So as it turned out the park area after the JP gate was.. mostly empty. Went into full-on fly mode to continue exploring.
Yeah, I actually had another version of the level at one point which contained a bit more work on that area (specifically, the gallimimus paddock), but it was lost due to a hard-drive shutdown in the middle of saving. That area is way more detailed and central in the current mod. :wink:
I reeaally liked this area. It's so cool and swampy! Only wish it had better terrain textures.
Alright, here's the story of that area and its intended purpose since it's been cut from the plan - that part of Isla Nublar looks nothing like it used to, after all.

South of this area is a cliffside road, as well as a tunnel which links up with another one much lower down in the mountains near the helipad. There was going to be an elevator here which you would access after leaving the Windmill Power Station that would bring you up to the cliffside road, overlooking the marshlands. The road would have been blocked by some washouts, forcing you into the swamp (which I'd intended to use fog triggers in to make it misty - and don't worry, the terrain was nowhere near final). About halfway into the valley, the road is sunken into a lake, and there would have been some sort of little ferry designed to get boats across. The ferry however was gas-powered and, naturally, empty, so you had to explore the swamp in order to find a gas can...of course, going off the path would lead you into muddy pits using the pull-down effect from JPDS if you neglected to find ways to cross them (such as using logs as bridges or even jumping between trees to get over) while dilophosaurs attacked from the bushes. Much of the swamp would have been maze-like due to the presence of sharp, thorny bushes everywhere. Once you'd got the ferry working again, you'd slowly cross the lake on it, only to be beset by a pair of baryonyx, who you would have had to fend off until you make it across. From there, the swamp would have turned into drier land and led up a switchback road to meet up again with the cliffside road, allowing you to continue on your way.
It was around here that the basketball dinos began to be accompanied by an angry trashcan, caught somewhere in the whirling blades of those three dots in the North.
:lol: Turns out hppav's windmills go berserk due to their magnets malfunctioning.
I just loved the angle from this view. Very nice environment. Honestly this expansive island, if possible, would have been beautiful to look at.
Don't worry, it's still around in an even better form. That was actually the very first area I made on Isla Nublar after laying down the roads!
So this desert path thingy.. I just like it. Might steal those terrain textures sometime. They would make for great future Uxmal mods.
It was meant to be a sulfur field-type area, since the southern end of Isla Nublar was volcanic. There were going to be three more similar areas in that region. I never finished it because I didn't like the terrain texture all that much. There would have been pools of boiling water and hot geysers in places, forcing you to navigate the rough, rocky environment carefully to avoid being burned (remember, health doesn't regenerate in RTJP!).
Very nice, John. Very JP-themed VIP hotel rooms with a lovely view, I like it.
Thank hppav for those ones. :wink: There were a couple more models in that area which I had to remove as they're going to make it into the current mod, but here's what that area looked like in an earlier version:
Click on Image
And finally... TI tells me he doesn't like this building but I love it. Since it won't be in the final RTJP I might just put it somewhere sometime.
Well, that particular iteration of that building won't be in the final game...the model isn't staying, but the building itself will return. :wink:
DennisNedry wrote:This is so awesome! :yum: I just loved the old RTJP project that you posted. Hopefully some more of the Visitors center is playable. I had a blast playing around and exploring the level, so my expectations for this are high. You are so good at making modded levels it is unreal. Can't wait to see what surprises await me, Thank you so much for releasing this! Time to enter the world of Jurassic Park yet again, wish me luck! Hopefully I don't meet any Dilophosauruses! :o
:D Thanks! I love to hear feedback on my work, and I'd be eager to hear what you think of the level once you've explored it as well.
DennisNedry
Parasaurus
Parasaurus
Location: Over here hacking . . . I mean protecting your computer! :)

Post by DennisNedry »

TheIdiot wrote:
DennisNedry wrote:This is so awesome! :yum: I just loved the old RTJP project that you posted. Hopefully some more of the Visitors center is playable. I had a blast playing around and exploring the level, so my expectations for this are high. You are so good at making modded levels it is unreal. Can't wait to see what surprises await me, Thank you so much for releasing this! Time to enter the world of Jurassic Park yet again, wish me luck! Hopefully I don't meet any Dilophosauruses! :o
:D Thanks! I love to hear feedback on my work, and I'd be eager to hear what you think of the level once you've explored it as well.
No problem! I will make sure to give you a great review, guaranteed! :D
Hammond: Our lives are in your hands and you have butterfingers?
Nedry: AH AH AH you didn't say the magic word! SNICKERS!