TheIdiot's new mod set on Isla Nublar

Moderators: scallenger, Wajas, TheIdiot

TheKritter71
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus
Antispam: No

Re: Introductory Levels: Prologue, ?, ?, Development

Post by TheKritter71 »

TheIdiot wrote: Should also note that the VC map you posted is highly inaccurate. You'll want to look at the actual VC model in the old version I sent you to see if maybe you can work out where it would go.
I actually knew that, I just needed a quick reference to show what I meant, I didn't want to draw it out.
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

TheKritter71 wrote:
TheIdiot wrote: Should also note that the VC map you posted is highly inaccurate. You'll want to look at the actual VC model in the old version I sent you to see if maybe you can work out where it would go.
I actually knew that, I just needed a quick reference to show what I meant, I didn't want to draw it out.
Fair enough. Still, if maybe you could do a slightly more detailed rough representation using the VC model, that would definitely help work this out. I like what you've come up with so far, the question is, will it work out?

For reference, this is the exterior door briefly visible in the movie:
Click on Image
(Click on thumbnail for full size)
Looks nothing like what is seen at the end of the movie, and there's no way the Rex could destroy 3-4 feet of solid concrete.
TheKritter71
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

Post by TheKritter71 »

I would imagine a sort of large glass window, patio overlooking a garden around the corner of the door (maybe right near the construction tower on the side of the rotunda). Due to it being round the corner, it isn't seen in the front-view
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

TheKritter71 wrote:I would imagine a sort of large glass window, patio overlooking a garden around the corner of the door (maybe right near the construction tower on the side of the rotunda). Due to it being round the corner, it isn't seen in the front-view
Yeah, I think I see what you mean. In that case, the planters would stay (it looks to me like the "sky" outdoors could pass off as an unpainted gray concrete wall) and the window and patio would be added to the back side of the building, possibly connecting with an entrance to the turret. Since you don't see that wall in the movie, we could stick a window in there without issue.
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

The potted plants and such look odd enough that I think they could be left out, with a simple hole in the wall to suffice the explanation..
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Draconisaurus wrote:The potted plants and such look odd enough that I think they could be left out, with a simple hole in the wall to suffice the explanation..
The planters are there in the movie though, or at least some of them are, so they're staying. Like I said above, there can't just be a hole in the wall - the Rex would have to go through several feet of concrete, which simply isn't possible (unless you're the Indestructible Rex from JW, in that case you can go ahead and smash through several layers of thick cement without stopping somehow).
TheKritter71
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

Post by TheKritter71 »

The planters could of been a film mistake being left out there for the VC interior set's outside foliage but to me it works in this case.
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

TheKritter71 wrote:The planters could of been a film mistake being left out there for the VC interior set's outside foliage but to me it works in this case.
That wouldn't surprise me actually, or alternately they could have been intended for the exterior but were moved to their current position once they decided that the Rex had to get into the building.
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

A San Diego newspaper article dating to May 24th, 1997. Contains some very interesting information for those who doubt the validity of Dr. Malcolm's claims and the InGen Incident.

Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Noice one.
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

After another night of torrential rain and thunder, one of the many tropical storms which frequently strike Isla Nublar begins to subside, the pale moon shining out through the treetops. It is on nights such as this one that predators stalk beneath the canopies, using the dark and the sound of the rain to mask their movement. However, on this particular night, it isn't only the primordial predators which call the island home that use the cover of the storm to their advantage...

Finally perfected the night time storm environment for this level! The lighting is, of course, based completely upon that which is seen during the scenes in the movie. Since CE doesn't have the ATX rain, I had to get a little bit creative, but the solution worked out excellently (I actually kind of like it better than the ATX rain - will have to port this effect over to East Dock one day). I'm still trying to work out whether a lightning effect is possible...I have some ideas, so we shall see. :wink: Incorporating new ideas and effects such as these ones are some of the things I like to do the most in RTJP, and I hope that others will be able to use them in their own levels as well.
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

That looks pretty neat! But.. weren't you going to make the levels have a time-of-day system? I wouldn't think you could do a moon with that -
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Draconisaurus wrote:That looks pretty neat! But.. weren't you going to make the levels have a time-of-day system? I wouldn't think you could do a moon with that -
That was the original plan when the levels were all combined into one. I later decided to instead make it so that the time changes only when you reach a specific point in the story instead, but since the mod is split into a bunch of different levels now, each level will simply have a fixed time of day. Otherwise there would be no way of maintaining the same time upon level switch, and having control over the time also allows for the atmosphere I want at each point in the story.
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

I see! That works
TheKritter71
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus