RainBasin

Creating new content for Trespasser!

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Board Managers, TresCom Developers

TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Re: RainBasin

Post by TheIdiot »

I see TI more like someone that, if in the mood and wanted, to be someone who could release monthly with high detailed areas. :)
I'd say you're probably right on that, but I never have enough time. I could mod for an entire day and get some really good stuff done, then not be able to work on it for another week, and by that point I'll have lost the spark that set it off. For instance, even though I do like what you made here in RainBasin a lot and draw no problems with a simple level like this, I couldn't see myself doing something similar. I want every level I make to check all of the boxes at least to some degree: Does it have puzzles? Is there a challenge? Does it look nice? Is the player motivated to keep pressing on? Is there a mix of action and exploration? Is there a backstory? How did the player get here? How do they escape? Is there variety? What are the boring parts and how do I make them fun? Even if it were just a quick level, I'd find myself thinking these things as I went along, and eventually these things blow up a level which was meant to take one week into a year-long project. :P
However, while having a week to make a level might work for some, I think it can easily end up feeling like a chore to complete it and you rush it only to get it released. And at this moment I don't think the community have enough audience to have too many releases in short times how good they are. A good idea should never be rushed, otherwise it will end up unfinished and abandoned ;)
You summed it up prefectly there. I could probably whip up an Isla Nublar level in a week - provided I had all seven days unhindered to work - but it wouldn't be great, and I wouldn't be happy with it.

"You can do it cheap and good, but it won't be quick."
"You can do it good and quick, but it won't be cheap."
"You can do it quick and cheap, but it won't be good."
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer
Antispam: No

Re: RainBasin

Post by Draconisaurus »

(Chaotician Drac) Huh interesting analysis.