A new Trespasser patch/update (Trespasser CE)

Discuss the game Trespasser here!

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Board Managers

Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer
Antispam: No

Re: A new Trespasser patch/update (Trespasser CE)

Post by Draconisaurus »

Well frak, awesome. In time for various up-and-coming releases. Lee this seems your gift to the Tres 20th Anniversary. 8)
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Sounds cool, will check out the map script and let you know if I run into any issues. Thanks for another excellent addition! :) And of course thank you for the update which fixes the RTJP crash - you've pretty much saved the mod (and probably other future mods as well!). Is there a hard limit to how high I can set MeshHeapSize? And would that limit ever likely be reached in the engine?

Also, what does the ExtraTerrainNodes setting do? I'm going to guess it increase the amount of detailed terrain which can be loaded without the game crashing? If so, tatu and I could probably use that for our Island Mod as well. RTJP's terrain hasn't been poly-reduced yet so it crashes in most places which aren't on the main level route, but I plan on fixing that as the island is developed.

Lastly, just to clarify, was anything changed in the .nut scripts included in the .zip with the map function?
Lee Arbuco
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by Lee Arbuco »

You can use the MEMLOG console command to see how much mesh heap levels use. You'll see that original levels seem to be somewhere in the range 5 - 10 MB. RTJP around 41. 48 should last for a bit. The theoretical limit is much higher, but other things need memory too so it might not be the best idea to throw hundreds of megs of meshes at it.

ExtraTerrainNodes is related to the structures it builds for terrain data. I don't know exactly how it correlates to detail, just that RTJP ran out of that mem and crashed when I tested with standard FOV. Increasing the value got rid of that. If it's no longer needed after poly-reduction then you can remove it again. The added out of memory log info should help identfiy if a crash is related to that or not.

Yes, the existing nut file files were updated too. I didn't change what was there, but I had to add new functions and vars - in the game script and player script - for the map stuff.
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

You can use the MEMLOG console command to see how much mesh heap levels use. You'll see that original levels seem to be somewhere in the range 5 - 10 MB. RTJP around 41. 48 should last for a bit. The theoretical limit is much higher, but other things need memory too so it might not be the best idea to throw hundreds of megs of meshes at it.
Okay, that helps to know. There aren't too many meshes left, but I predict I might have to increase that value further in the future as most of them are going to be fairly detailed. I'll have to try and reduce the polycount where I can on some models and clean up my mesh errors as well.
tatu
-=TresCom Website Manager=-

Post by tatu »

TheIdiot wrote:Sounds cool, will check out the map script and let you know if I run into any issues. Thanks for another excellent addition! :) And of course thank you for the update which fixes the RTJP crash - you've pretty much saved the mod (and probably other future mods as well!). Is there a hard limit to how high I can set MeshHeapSize? And would that limit ever likely be reached in the engine?
I guess it would also help with your HD mod, specially when it comes to levels like IT and LAB :D
Active project: Trespasser: Isla Sorna
BE-PH1: Released
PH2-IT: Pre-released
PL-SUM: In production

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

TheIdiot wrote:Thanks for another excellent addition! :) And of course thank you for the update which fixes the RTJP crash - you've pretty much saved the mod (and probably other future mods as well!).
Ludlow: Oh Roland! Roland, Roland! You've probably saved InGen. We lost
everything we came after on this trip. But this animal and it's infant are
going to single-handedly bail us out. Congratulations! You've got your trophy!
Buck only!
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

I was asked to made a blank file structure template as a quick set-up for CE mods, so I figured that I should post it for everyone to use. I included text files whose names state which files go in each folder to hopefully make things simple, and included a copy of the fm.ini file in its correct place as well. Simply drag-n-drop the contained folder into your FMs directory, rename it to something which fits your mod, set-up the contained fm.ini, and you're ready to rock. 8)

Get it here:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/cot0r69gr ... mplate.zip

Might I request that one of the site managers upload this to the "Editing" section of the main site as well for quick-access and so that it doesn't end up buried?
tatu

Post by tatu »

TheIdiot wrote:I was asked to made a blank file structure template as a quick set-up for CE mods, so I figured that I should post it for everyone to use. I included text files whose names state which files go in each folder to hopefully make things simple, and included a copy of the fm.ini file in its correct place as well. Simply drag-n-drop the contained folder into your FMs directory, rename it to something which fits your mod, set-up the contained fm.ini, and you're ready to rock. 8)

Get it here:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/cot0r69gr ... mplate.zip

Might I request that one of the site managers upload this to the "Editing" section of the main site as well for quick-access and so that it doesn't end up buried?
I am gonna upload it and place a link to it in the CE download as I don't think people would look in "Editing" unless they are told to. :)
Active project: Trespasser: Isla Sorna
BE-PH1: Released
PH2-IT: Pre-released
PL-SUM: In production

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

Attaching it to a post in this topic might be easier...
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Tres WIP: updated T-Script Reference and File Formats documents
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

machf I was just thinking that. Lee could you edit it into the first post possibly?
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Draconisaurus wrote:machf I was just thinking that. Lee could you edit it into the first post possibly?
I added it to the bottom and directed the link to the TresCom download which tatu uploaded. :)
Растишка
Dinosaur egg
Dinosaur egg

Translation of the game into Russian.

Post by Растишка »

Hello. I'm a Russian-speaking fan of the game. I want to translate it into Russian. I want to ask the CE-patch author to replace ANSI_CHARSET with DEFAULT_CHARSET, wherever possible, especially in the D3DXCreateFontIndirectA function. Because without this the game can not be translated into Russian, since the game incorrectly displays the Cyrillic alphabet. I apologize for my weak English, I use Google translator.
Mof1234567890
Stegosaurus
Stegosaurus

Re: Translation of the game into Russian.

Post by Mof1234567890 »

Растишка wrote:Hello. I'm a Russian-speaking fan of the game. I want to translate it into Russian. I want to ask the CE-patch author to replace ANSI_CHARSET with DEFAULT_CHARSET, wherever possible, especially in the D3DXCreateFontIndirectA function. Because without this the game can not be translated into Russian, since the game incorrectly displays the Cyrillic alphabet. I apologize for my weak English, I use Google translator.
I don’t think this is a good idea. Especially after “Fargus” horrable translation.
It’s better play in English with no translation needed. :yes:
I believe I've spent enough time in the company of death
Растишка
Dinosaur egg
Dinosaur egg

Post by Растишка »

Mof1234567890 wrote:
Растишка wrote:Hello. I'm a Russian-speaking fan of the game. I want to translate it into Russian. I want to ask the CE-patch author to replace ANSI_CHARSET with DEFAULT_CHARSET, wherever possible, especially in the D3DXCreateFontIndirectA function. Because without this the game can not be translated into Russian, since the game incorrectly displays the Cyrillic alphabet. I apologize for my weak English, I use Google translator.
I don’t think this is a good idea. Especially after “Fargus” horrable translation.
It’s better play in English with no translation needed. :yes:
Why is this a bad idea? I'm going to make a new translation. I want this game in Russian. So I do not know what's the matter with Fargus. It would be better to help than to write nonsense.

Почему это плохая идея? Я собираюсь делать новый перевод. Хочу видеть эту игру на русском. Так что не знаю, при чём тут Фаргус. Лучше помог бы, чем ерунду писать.
Mof1234567890
Stegosaurus
Stegosaurus

Post by Mof1234567890 »

I can help you, but I doubt that Lee will show up here anytime soon. Since he is a busy man I suppose
I believe I've spent enough time in the company of death