Trespasser: Isla Sorna (PLSUM Preview 1)

Creating new content for Trespasser!

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Board Managers, TresCom Developers

Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer
Antispam: No

Re: Trespasser Island Mod

Post by Draconisaurus »

Most impressive. But your mod does not cover the whole island yet. :batman:
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Draconisaurus wrote:Most impressive. But your mod does not cover the whole island yet. :batman:
All in due time! Either way, the first half of the game is getting closer to completion. Once both halves of the game are released, we'll begin preparations for adding in Plains, finishing the lake and swamp, and overall trying to add in everything missing from the actual levels which is in the walkthrough. From there on, we're thinking of expanding the two levels further to cover the entire island, including those large swathes of land which go unused in the Trespasser game to the east and west, while maybe even drawing some inspiration from the original Trespasser: Reloaded plan. I know we already have a few areas planned which I won't spoil too much about yet. :wink: tatu and I were also discussing completely redoing all of the TrnObjs to give everything a consistent, fresh look.
tatu
-=TresCom Website Manager=-

Post by tatu »

Lovely presentation of the terrain work TI! :D

As the files I am working on right now doesn't have any terrain objects, it sure does look really lovely with terrain objects connecting like that!
Most impressive. But your mod does not cover the whole island yet. :batman:
If only you could help out :pirate:

No matter what. This is a fun project and I hope everyone enjoys it when it is done.
Active project: Trespasser: Isla Sorna
BE-PH1: Released
PH2-IT: Pre-released
PL-SUM: In production

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Lovely presentation of the terrain work TI! :D
Just wait until I've finished touching up the gorge to match with the hills around it and you've filled it up with objects. It's gonna look awesome. :D
As the files I am working on right now doesn't have any terrain objects, it sure does look really lovely with terrain objects connecting like that!
Yeah, I especially noticed that around PV-LAB. We'll have to add some road terrain objects going up the mountain as well.
tatu

Post by tatu »

Just wait until I've finished touching up the gorge to match with the hills around it and you've filled it up with objects. It's gonna look awesome. :D
Totally. Gonna look amazing!
Yeah, I especially noticed that around PV-LAB. We'll have to add some road terrain objects going up the mountain as well.
Yes! Maybe in the future we could make a "minor" level when everything is done where only IT-LAB is a level. Would look really good with the roads and everything connect :)

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Yes! Maybe in the future we could make a "minor" level when everything is done where only IT-LAB is a level. Would look really good with the roads and everything connect :)
Definitely. Anyway, wouldn't it make sense to just have all of the TrnObjs together in both levels? That way distant land will still look realistic, and, since it all uses a single palette and TrnObjs don't count towards the object limit, it wouldn't really hurt to do so.

Also, something I've been meaning to bring up for a while. What would you say about deleting all of the billboards in the game and replacing them with a mix of properly-placed rotating and non-rotating models instead? This would help to make the jungle look thick from any angle as the non-rotating ones disguise the rotating ones, which go off in the distance behind a couple of layers of still billboards and actual trees. I've already done this in RTJP and it will look excellent when combined with real 3D trees in front of them all to hide the transition.
Click on Image
(Click on thumbnail for full size)
tatu

Post by tatu »

Definitely. Anyway, wouldn't it make sense to just have all of the TrnObjs together in both levels? That way distant land will still look realistic, and, since it all uses a single palette and TrnObjs don't count towards the object limit, it wouldn't really hurt to do so.
Yes and no. First of the palettes does not end up the greatest looking as there is a lot of colorful terrain objects for various buildings. However, I would like to try to remove the use of those for the buildings and use proper meshes, as it gives a much nicer look. Probably just making the floor a mesh and/or add a physic object to it. Then those are not needed for the terrain palette.
One this it will do for keeping the terrain objects however, is increase loading time. Of course we want to keep those you can see in a distance!
Also, something I've been meaning to bring up for a while. What would you say about deleting all of the billboards in the game and replacing them with a mix of properly-placed rotating and non-rotating models instead? This would help to make the jungle look thick from any angle as the non-rotating ones disguise the rotating ones, which go off in the distance behind a couple of layers of still billboards and actual trees. I've already done this in RTJP and it will look excellent when combined with real 3D trees in front of them all to hide the transition.
It would be worth a try. It would depend on the amount of new foliage added, so we don't go over out limit ;)

Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Just a heads up, I somewhat remember doing a test years ago where the same level was lower-FPS between different versions where the only change was more terrain objects. Could be wrong, and idk what the CE version is like.
tatu

Post by tatu »

Draconisaurus wrote:Just a heads up, I somewhat remember doing a test years ago where the same level was lower-FPS between different versions where the only change was more terrain objects. Could be wrong, and idk what the CE version is like.
That is a possibility. It will come down to testing. I think it would be possible to combine some terrain objects as well. Like the mountain. It contains of over 1000 terrain objects, all the same one with the same texture, that could just be made into one huge one. Not sure if that would stretch the textures different tho.

machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

What you could do is make a single, large square, and tile the texture over it...
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Tres WIP: updated T-Script Reference and File Formats documents
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

machf wrote:What you could do is make a single, large square, and tile the texture over it...
Yeah, that's probably a good idea. tatu, you could make a single large terrain object covering the same area which the original mountain tiles did, so long as they are low enough that they don't cause incorrect foot sounds to play due to their size. That's why large squares are probably best.

Overall I think the terrain objects could in general use a complete revamp. They're incredibly messy as it is by default.
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

machf wrote:What you could do is make a single, large square, and tile the texture over it...
Yeah, that's probably a good idea. tatu, you could make a single large terrain object covering the same area which the original mountain tiles did, so long as they are low enough that they don't cause incorrect foot sounds to play due to their size. That's why large squares are probably best.

Overall I think the terrain objects could in general use a complete revamp. They're incredibly messy as it is by default.
tatu

Post by tatu »

TheIdiot wrote:

For the first release that will probably happen yes. It is not only the mountain that would require a "new" terrain object mesh but rather the whole island base terrain, as they do not share the same one and it will just be messy to order them so the correct one is shown :P

Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Just a note... While filming Chaotician Drac, I discovered that GUIApp CE reaaally does not like certain large sizes of terrain objects, even ones only as big as say twice the Terminus wall area, and I suspect this is why they were removed for final retail versions of the game. :\ I also seem to recall a suspicion about the engine being okay with the large size but not if AIs were around. Basically large trnobjs being a contributor to engine crash condition.
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Draconisaurus wrote:Just a note... While filming Chaotician Drac, I discovered that GUIApp CE reaaally does not like certain large sizes of terrain objects, even ones only as big as say twice the Terminus wall area, and I suspect this is why they were removed for final retail versions of the game. :\ I also seem to recall a suspicion about the engine being okay with the large size but not if AIs were around. Basically large trnobjs being a contributor to engine crash condition.
Weeeeird...especially considering that the game doesn't seem to mind those huge Base terrain objects. Maybe it has something to do with the polycount of said TrnObj?