Creating new content for Trespasser!

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Board Managers, TresCom Developers

machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Re: Tres 20th Anniv Cmnty Level

Post by machf »

tatu wrote:
TheIdiot wrote:I must however nag you to remember to let us know when you are taking control over work on the level, even if it's just for a short while - I almost decided to do some work on it recently when it seems you would have been doing so. :cry:
From what I've notice, non of you are that great on letting each other know that you are working on it ;P
The lack of any sort of plan is what keeps me away from that level...
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Tres WIP: updated T-Script Reference and File Formats documents
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

machf wrote:
tatu wrote:
TheIdiot wrote:I must however nag you to remember to let us know when you are taking control over work on the level, even if it's just for a short while - I almost decided to do some work on it recently when it seems you would have been doing so. :cry:
From what I've notice, non of you are that great on letting each other know that you are working on it ;P
The lack of any sort of plan is what keeps me away from that level...
I think the lack-of-plan is sort of...well...the plan for this level. The problem is that none of us are upholding the rules set in the first post. I think it would definitely benefit us all however if we came up with a few major locations and puzzles, got them roughly implemented, and then built around that framework. I must admit that right now the level really doesn't seem to be going in any specific direction - hence why I would be an advocate for moving Hammond's house elsewhere and building between there as we go. I've found that to be a great strategy for creating levels in the past. However, on the other hand, I think it would detract from the dynamic feel work on the level has to do something like that.
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer
Antispam: No

Post by Draconisaurus »

Huh. The Hammond House does seem a bit invasive. Not married to it. As for the plan perspective - so far it seems to have grown organically from the start & then the plant yard. Its seems quite successful so far and prevents us from climbing over each other's work.
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Draconisaurus wrote:Huh. The Hammond House does seem a bit invasive. Not married to it. As for the plan perspective - so far it seems to have grown organically from the start & then the plant yard. Its seems quite successful so far and prevents us from climbing over each other's work.
And I think that organicness is what makes the level special. It's like those drawings you used to do in school with your friends, where you'd draw a basic shape and then everyone adds in one little change until you have this abomination of a drawing that you have to hide from the teacher. :P

Anyway, I might take a crack at doing something different with the Hammond House, if you don't mind, Drac, more along the lines of what I was discussing earlier. Gonna move it a bit deeper into the level onto a hillside or something so that you can see it from the plateau. Consider this an official declaration of "I am going to work on this level now." :wink:
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Right-o 8)
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Alrighty, done for now! Lots of changes this time around, mostly to do with the new location of Hammond's Mansion. I took some inspiration from the Jurassic Park Visitor Center and surrounding area while designing this. I've also expanded the road system, leaving a lot of open ends for future development. Here's a sneak peek:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/49j3yxx2a ... I.zip/file
(Made a mistake naming the file - this is V0.2.0, not 2.0.0.)

Little idea I had for the future was to throw in the View Building model right next to the waterfall at the end of the canal in sort of a tribute to those pre-alpha Pine Valley images. What do you guys think of that? Should look really cool and would be a good place to leave quite a few weapons for the player to stock-up since it is pretty central in the level.

I'd also like to suggest that we start uploading screenshots every now and then of areas as they are completed, to sort of give non-modders a preview of what they can expect in the finished level.
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

:o Huh TI you weren't shitting around with that.
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Draconisaurus wrote::o Huh TI you weren't shitting around with that.
I was determined to do something special with it, since I feel like that model never gets enough attention when placed in levels, considering how dramatic it could look (not even in the original IT level). And you can see it from all over the level due to its elevated height - we should be careful to ensure that there is a clear sightline to it from both the plateau and the end of the canal to invite further exploration. :wink:
tatu
-=TresCom Website Manager=-

Post by tatu »

That is some awesome location!!

Funny thing, I am currently redoing a mesh for Hammond's house that is not broken :P

And I agree. Hammond's house does not look "impressive" in IT. I guess you used inspiration from the walkthrough where IIRC it says it was placed on a hill or something like that?
Active project: Trespasser: Isla Sorna
BE-PH1: Released
PH2-IT: Pre-released
PL-SUM: In production

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Funny thing, I am currently redoing a mesh for Hammond's house that is not broken :P
I'd forgotten all about that. How many Town meshes are left to fix?
And I agree. Hammond's house does not look "impressive" in IT. I guess you used inspiration from the walkthrough where IIRC it says it was placed on a hill or something like that?
Actually, I don't remember any mention of that in the walkthrough. Just a coincidence. The main inspiration for the location came from those real-world images I posted above. There's also a long road leading up the side of the mountain to the house as well, which was somewhat inspired by the road to the crater in TC~Isle.
tatu

Post by tatu »

TheIdiot wrote:
I'd forgotten all about that. How many Town meshes are left to fix?
Well, this specific one is not part of the Island project, but just something I wanted to mock up for fun, with a complete staircase and everything. As for other Town meshes, all? :P I am gonna focus on that as the last part probably, or do one every now and then :)
Actually, I don't remember any mention of that in the walkthrough. Just a coincidence. The main inspiration for the location came from those real-world images I posted above. There's also a long road leading up the side of the mountain to the house as well, which was somewhat inspired by the road to the crater in TC~Isle.

Code: Select all

*Hammond's house
Hammond's house is a two-story (if at all possible) Victorian-styled mansion.  It looms above the village on the top of a small hill.  Getting into Hammond's house should involve a series of relatively complicated steps, and that is only the beginning.  Once inside, the player needs to look through all of Hammond's junk, and try to figure out what is a useful clue and what is just a gewgaw, knick knack, or doodad.  (Incidentally, we will have at least one of each of the latter…)

Hammond's house is surrounded by a high wooden fence.  It has no fancy electronic security system, but it is rather frustratingly locked.  Breaking down the gate is an option, but it will probably be difficult to bring enough force to bear on it, unless the player perhaps leads a raptor into it.  However, part way around the fence, there will be a hollow in the ground under the fence, and several loose boards in the fence.  Anne can grab the bottoms of these boards and snap them free, creating an opening which she can proceed through while crouched.
Close enough ;)
Active project: Trespasser: Isla Sorna
BE-PH1: Released
PH2-IT: Pre-released
PL-SUM: In production

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
TrespasserGuy
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by TrespasserGuy »

Nice update! Funnily enough this is exactly where I imagined the mansion should be placed :lol: As a side note, I'm going to have my go at this level once again, expect another update soon. :)

EDIT:
Spoiler: show
http://www.mediafire.com/file/nc2bnao5w ... y.zip/file

As you can see I've started work on this Ascent II-esque road that goes up the mountain. I've also imported Hammond's House's physics. TI, I especially like your idea of importing the View Building, that'd be cool. I also got this grand idea: we can give this level two endings.

One where:
You escape by going to the mountain and calling in a rescue plane or helicopter
And the other where:
You solve a puzzle that starts up an abandoned boat where you leave the island a la the ending to The Lost World novel
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Very nice, that's exactly what I'd had in mind for the mountain road.

As for the two endings idea...as much as I do like the sound of that, I think we should first focus on getting just the one ending (presumably the first) finished before we start thinking of doing the other to avoid creating an excessive workload for now. I could easily edit the distant mountain model to allow for ocean, though - I assume you were thinking of putting a beach in that lowland area in the far corner from where we started?
TrespasserGuy
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by TrespasserGuy »

Ok, that's fair enough. For now, we can go with the first ending, and, if we have enough time and resources until Tres' anniversary in October, we can try to include the second ending.
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Dude that looks amazing :O