Shadefyre's Custom Level Let's Play Videos

Discuss the game Trespasser here!

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Board Managers

TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Shadefyre's Custom Level Let's Play Videos

Post by TheIdiot »

Has anyone else seen Shadefyre's Trespasser videos on Youtube? I recently discovered them and, having seen a fair number of them now, decided to give him a shout-out, since I feel like they deserve more attention. I would highly recommend watching these as he does an excellent job of providing simple and worthwhile commentary, criticism and humour, rather than just being loud and obnoxious like a lot of Youtubers seem to be prone to doing. He also has some playthroughs of levels which nobody else has done in the past.

The channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEgfz2 ... XjS8lsiwUA

Shadefyre is registered as a member on TresCom but hasn't really given himself as much advertisement as I feel he could have. So Shade, if you're reading this - consider it a touch of free publicity! :P I'd love to see you do some of the more recently released levels which we've put out since you did your playthrough of Lost Desert. :)
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Re: Shadefyre's Custom Level Let's Play Videos

Post by machf »

Well, I have seen some of them...
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Tres WIP: updated T-Script Reference and File Formats documents
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
Hilwo
Dilophosaurus
Dilophosaurus

Post by Hilwo »

I was watching his Let's Play, explains why so much from the TresCom trivia section is mentioned/used.

Edit: At the first TC level now. It's a real shame he skipped a lot of the level, including the research facility. Didn't that have a backstory as to why the balloon was there? Also, he says we're not missing much by not seeing the end video of TC1. I really don't agree, the shot of the Rex is awesome!! Better than the game's original ending in my opinion.
TrespasserGuy
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by TrespasserGuy »

Yes, his lets plays are pretty awesome. He even played through my Mountain Road level once which was cool to see. I remember he started playing through JPDS and got stuck and frustrated on the Streams level, though he never got to the plains :/
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer
Antispam: No

Post by Draconisaurus »

Shade does the best Tres fan level playthroughs I have seen. Perhaps he'll do more eventually. It's nice that more people get to see our work this way.
Shadefyre
Dinosaur egg
Dinosaur egg

Post by Shadefyre »

Well hey, thanks for the kind words, folks! I know I sometimes get a little irritable with the ol' gal that is Tres, but I really do enjoy going through the maps you've all created. I do plan to return to Mountain Road, with the shorthand guide you gave me (written on a physical notepad!). I also want to get back to JPDS, but back after I finished Streams I gave up on Plains when I did a test run of it and got to the platforming section that collapses. At the moment I'm trying to get CE 1.07d working so I can check out Drac's maps that depend on it, as well as TheIdiot's Beach HD. It's not going so well at the moment, because no matter what I do I end up with "Superhot" Trespasser. :?
https://i.imgur.com/82HuuJE.png
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer
Antispam: No

Post by Draconisaurus »

Shadefyre, heads up that JPDS may be getting a re-release in the next few weeks, if you want to save that one for later. Puzzles retuned, better level links, etc.
Shadefyre
Dinosaur egg
Dinosaur egg

Post by Shadefyre »

Draconisaurus wrote:Shadefyre, heads up that JPDS may be getting a re-release in the next few weeks, if you want to save that one for later. Puzzles retuned, better level links, etc.
Well, that does sound pretty enticing! I might just have to hold off and get to some of these other stockpiled maps for the moment. Thanks for the heads up!
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

It's not going so well at the moment, because no matter what I do I end up with "Superhot" Trespasser. :?
Ah, someone else had that error previously, and I seem to recall it being fixed. Lemme check...

Also, glad to hear you'll be giving Beach HD a go! :D

EDIT: Shade, open up your Trespasser.ini file and make sure the line "Enable10bitDisplay=" is set to False. Should read "Enable10bitDisplay=False". I *think* that might have been the fix. Also make sure you've got "UseDX9=True" set as well. :)

EDIT #2:
but back after I finished Streams I gave up on Plains when I did a test run of it and got to the platforming section that collapses.
That part is notoriously difficult. Either the physics go right, or they go horribly, horribly wrong and you can't complete it. I've managed to make it through a couple of times so I'm sure it IS possible. If you really, truly can't solve it, you can always use the "FLY" cheat to go around it.
Shadefyre
Dinosaur egg
Dinosaur egg

Post by Shadefyre »

TheIdiot wrote:
It's not going so well at the moment, because no matter what I do I end up with "Superhot" Trespasser. :?
Ah, someone else had that error previously, and I seem to recall it being fixed. Lemme check...

Also, glad to hear you'll be giving Beach HD a go! :D

EDIT: Shade, open up your Trespasser.ini file and make sure the line "Enable10bitDisplay=" is set to False. Should read "Enable10bitDisplay=False". I *think* that might have been the fix. Also make sure you've got "UseDX9=True" set as well. :)

EDIT #2:
but back after I finished Streams I gave up on Plains when I did a test run of it and got to the platforming section that collapses.
That part is notoriously difficult. Either the physics go right, or they go horribly, horribly wrong and you can't complete it. I've managed to make it through a couple of times so I'm sure it IS possible. If you really, truly can't solve it, you can always use the "FLY" cheat to go around it.
Yeah, I found that fix when I was trying to figure out where I'd gone wrong, but even after changing one, the other, and then both, I still end up textureless. I also don't seem to have "TP_Mod.ini". Should I have installed the earliest version upward, rather than just the most recent?
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Yeah, I found that fix when I was trying to figure out where I'd gone wrong, but even after changing one, the other, and then both, I still end up textureless. I also don't seem to have "TP_Mod.ini". Should I have installed the earliest version upward, rather than just the most recent?
Nope, you should be able to just install the most recent one and go from there. Hmm, strange that that fix didn't work. I seem to recall there being another one...try "TexFilterBump=False". If you can't get it to work, I can shoot you my pre-configured working .ini file and see if maybe that works for you.

An example TP_Mod.ini is located in the "doc" folder included with the CE download - you have to copy it to your Tres directory from there and configure it appropriately (so you'll also want to create an "FMs" folder in the Tres directory for storing and playing mods). I deleted most of the stuff from mine, though, as much of it isn't especially useful for what we have mod-wise at the moment, so that it looks like this:
Spoiler: show

Code: Select all

;****************************
;DO NOT TOUCH!
[Paths]

;The directory that induvidual mod folders should be installed to. This folder should be located in your main Trespasser directory (where tpassp6.exe is located).
FMPath=FMs

;DO NOT TOUCH!
[FM]

;Change this to the name of the mod folder that you would like to play.
ActiveFM=RTJP
Should be pretty self-explanatory. You can replace the TP_Mod.ini text with this and it should work fine. :)
Shadefyre
Dinosaur egg
Dinosaur egg

Post by Shadefyre »

Hmm, I might need your file for comparison after all, since mine doesn't even have a TexFilterBump. I'd love to get this working again, so thanks a bunch for going over it with me like this.
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Shadefyre wrote:Hmm, I might need your file for comparison after all, since mine doesn't even have a TexFilterBump. I'd love to get this working again, so thanks a bunch for going over it with me like this.
No problem! Backup your original Trespasser.ini and replace the text inside with this:
Spoiler: show

Code: Select all

[DisplayDX9]

;Set to "true" to enable V-sync. Enabling may lessen screen tearing. Set to "False" to disable. Default is "True".
EnableVSync=True

;Anti-aliasing level. Check your video card specs for maximum amount, this is typically 2, 4, 8, or 16. Modern cards usually go up to at least 8. Will likely impact performance. Default is 4.
MultiSamplingLevel=4

;Transparent texture edge smoothing level. Can impact performance when enabled, but edges will look smoother. Set to "1" to enable, "0" to disable. Default is 1.
ATOCMode=1

;Enables water wave distortion effect. May impact performance. Set to "False" to disable. Default is "True".
WaterRefraction=True

;Texture filtering for water waves. Will make water look nicer at the potential cost of performance. Set to "False" to disable. Default is "True".
TexFilterWater=True

;Enables bumpmapping. Highly recommended to leave this on or textures may look very bland in places. Unlikely to impact performance. Set to "False" to disable. Default is "True".
PixelShaderBump=True

;Texture filtering for bumpmaps. Will make bumpmaps look nicer at the potential cost of performance. Set to "False do disable. Default is "True".
TexFilterBump=True

DisableSafeMode=1
LogDevInfo=1
UseDX9=True
Enable10bitDisplay=False
LimitGpuCommandBuffer=0
ScaleModeMenus=3
EnhancedSky=True

[Controls]
MouseSensX=1.0
; X-axis sensitivity of mouse. Default is 1.0.

MouseSensY=1.0
; Y-axis sensitivity of mouse Default is 1.0.

[Display]

;Framerate lock number. The game will keep FPS equal to or below this value to save memory. Default is 60.
MaxFramerate=0

ScreenBitDepth=32

[Render]

32bitHardwareTextures=True
MinTerrainNodeEvalDist=35
TexFilterD3D=16
ForceNoBlendTrans=True
MipMapMode=2
AutoMipMap=2

;Game Field-of-view. Recommend 75.0 for 8:6 aspect ratio, 90.0 for 16:9 and 16:10. Different values may alter game experience, and values above 110 will likely cause graphical issues. Default is 90.0 degrees of vision.
FOV=90.0

;Forces objects with low-poly distant models to always show the highest quality model. Enabling this will likely impact performance. Set to "True" to enable. Default is "False".
ForceMaxObjectDetail=False

;Minimum distance at which objects are drawn before being hidden at long distances. Raising these will impact performance - values too high or low will likely cause problems. Defaults are 20.0
MinCullDistance=20.0
MinObjectCullDist=20.0

;Minimum distance at which shadows are drawn. Raising these will likely cause severe performance hits - values too high will likely crash the game. Defaults are 5.0.
MinCullDistanceShadow=5.0
MinObjectCullDistShadow=5.0

;Minimum distance at which objects become low-quality 2D billboards. Raising this will impact performance - values too high will likely cause problems. Default is 35.0.
CacheMinDist=35.0

;Minimum distance at which 2D billboards are drawn before being hidden at long distances. This will not impact performance too much unless raised very high. Default is 50.0
MinCachedObjectCullDist=50.0

[General]

SavesShotsDirs=True
TryIncompleteInstall=True

;Allows quicksaving via the F9 key. Set to "False" to disable. Default is "True".
EnableQuickSaveKey=True

;Allows the stowing of two items at once, one on your belt and one on your back, by holding the Rotate Hand key and pushing the Stow/Retrieve button. Set to "False" to disable. Default is "True".
EnableDualStow=True

;Changes the way the game loads levels. When set to "True", the game will take a bit longer to re-load a level, but the chance of trigger-related errors is reduced. When set to "False", levels load faster, but some triggers may not work correctly.
DisableSimpleLevelRestart=True

[MaxQualityParams]

MinSubdivison=8
AltMinSubdivision=16
DetailReductionScale=12.0
CullDistScale=12.0
CullShadowDistScale=4.0
WaterResScale=3.0
TerrainTexelScale=3.0
TerrainDistanceScale=3.0
PixelTolAdj=0.25
ResolutionScale=2.0

[Game]
EnableAiActivityEx=-1
EnableWoodSapParticles=3
MaxActiveAi=8

[Sound]
NoSavegameSysSettings=True
MixerFrequency=44100
SpeakerConfig=6

[SoundOpenAL]
UseAL=True
Device=Generic Software
MaxChannels2D=32

[Memory]
SysMemSizeD3D=8192
MemSizeD3D=350
TexPoolSizeD3D=24000
MaxTerrainMem=30000
MaxTerrainDynaShadowMem=24000
ExtraTerrainNodes=10
;ForceManagedMemD3D=True

[Debug]
LogDevInfo=4 ; Set to 4 for debug logging and developer mode
No guarentee that it will work, but fingers crossed. I've got all of the optional extra features enabled as well - F9 for quicksave, hold rotate wrist when stowing items to stow two at once, and the cheat commands should work.