Discuss the game Trespasser here!

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Board Managers

Xer06siX
Dinosaur egg
Dinosaur egg

Trespasser CE Windows 10 Issue

Post by Xer06siX »

Hello,

The good news is: The original game as it is, works fine straight onto Windows 10 w/ Nvidia with no major issues! Even the official patched 1.1 version works fine.

The bad news is: I Patched to CE and everything went to hell. (Red models instead of textured models for the trees, other texture colors are off as well.)

I have just gotten back around to this game after a very long time away. I still have my original clean copy I got in the 90s as a gift. This is exactly what I have done and you can see the results below.

1. Copied ALL contents of the CD onto the hard drive and installed from there. INCLUDING the Data file from the CD (Not in program files but in the C:\DreamworksInteractive....etc)
2. Played the game, the game worked fine.
3. Patched the game to 1.1 with official patch.
4. Played the game, the game worked fine.
5. Installed Tres CE patch files to the game directory. Launched with tress6.exe
6. Played the game, the game is effed up. EVERYTHING IS RED (Most models are only in the color channel Red, including trees, dinos, rocks, and anne herself. The terrain textures also appear to be corrupted and miscolored following usage of CE.
7. Said "Screw it", maybe its just the first level, I walked through the corrupted mess to the next level (Which would have been nearly impossible if I hadn't played this game a million times) and... exact same issue there.
8. Tweaked every setting I could in the Trespasser.ini (Enabled/Disabled DX9, no changes, Changed texture filter settings...etc nothing changes.)
9. Uninstalled and reinstalled. Same issue.
10. Spent a lot of time in this forum looking around for others with the same issue. Found another gentleman that had the same issue as me but his objects appeared blue. No suggestions have any impact on my issue.
11. Took some Screen caps to share with you.
12. Poured a cold glass of Whiskey and coke and spent about 15 minutes on this post.

Here is the beach scene that we all know and love.

Further looking inland.

The area where you encounted the first buildings, which are also red.

What gives? Texture info corruption? That cannot be, because the game works and looks perfectly fine outside of CE. Any help would be great, I would love to try out the CE version but looks like i'll have to wait a bit and go back to 1.1 to kill my good old blocky little friends.
Attachments
Trespasser CE 2018-03-12_07-36-52 3.png
Trespasser CE 2018-03-12_07-36-52 3.png (291.08 KiB) Viewed 9627 times
Trespasser CE 2018-03-12_07-35-56 2.png
Trespasser CE 2018-03-12_07-35-56 2.png (273.9 KiB) Viewed 9627 times
Trespasser CE 2018-03-12_07-35-42 1.png
Trespasser CE 2018-03-12_07-35-42 1.png (414.38 KiB) Viewed 9627 times
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Re: Trespasser CE Windows 10 Issue

Post by machf »

Hmmm... are you using a tpass.ini file? (not the same file as trespasser.ini, BTW)

And I wonder if that ";Enable10bitDisplay=True" parameter in trespasser.ini has something to do with this issue...
viewtopic.php?p=123338#p123338
viewtopic.php?p=120842#p120842
viewtopic.php?p=118730#p118730
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Tres WIP: updated T-Script Reference and File Formats documents
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
Xer06siX
Dinosaur egg
Dinosaur egg

Post by Xer06siX »

machf wrote:Hmmm... are you using a tpass.ini file? (not the same file as trespasser.ini, BTW)

And I wonder if that ";Enable10bitDisplay=True" parameter in trespasser.ini has something to do with this issue...
I am not using and have not modified the Tpass.ini from the configs folder. I have only been messing around with the Trespasser file in the main directory. I make changes to that .ini and I can see things change up a bit.
I have tried enabling and disabling the 10bit but with it off, it simply crashes at the end of the level load. I tried moving the dx9_hq file over for higher settings, doesn't seem to change too many things. Still working on this folks. There may be something in one of those links i'll keep looking.

Do I need to make changes that reflect the same thing in both ini?

*e*

SOLVED: I copied Tpass.ini into the main directory, ran the game and exited to check what it spit out in the file. Reading the destination folder file path was incorrect. I installed the game files directly into C:\DreamworksInteractive... to avoid the whole ProgramFiles issue in W10.

The file read:

Run File=C:\Program Files (x86)\DreamWorks Interactive\Trespasser\trespass.exe
Installed Directory=C:\Program Files (x86)\DreamWorks Interactive\Trespasser\

I changed it to:

Run File=C:\DreamWorks Interactive\Trespasser\tpassp6.exe
Installed Directory=C:\DreamWorks Interactive\Trespasser\

Ran the game, and holy cow its cleaned up! The game looks and feels great, I didn't have to touch the Enable10bitDisplay=True (That didn't work before anyway)

Anyone else come across the red meshes of doom on Windows 10/nVidia, I hope this helps!
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

Glad to hear you solved it... I wonder why Windows 10 is so picky with folders.
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
Xer06siX
Dinosaur egg
Dinosaur egg

Post by Xer06siX »

I dunno machf. I just don't know, because they can? But anyway, I just got done with a run through of the game under CE. Nice work gents. It did crash twice during game play randomly. (Once in the lab and once in the town) But simply restarting the game takes care of that and I can play on as normal.
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Xer06siX wrote:I dunno machf. I just don't know, because they can? But anyway, I just got done with a run through of the game under CE. Nice work gents. It did crash twice during game play randomly. (Once in the lab and once in the town) But simply restarting the game takes care of that and I can play on as normal.
Random crashing is a typical occurance in Tres, could be for any number of reasons. Most likely reason CE might crash is because something's physics whacked-out, especially since you were in the two most object-filled levels when it happened, or you had the draw distance up too high (which is unlikely unless you edited it in the .ini file yourself). :P
Xer06siX
Dinosaur egg
Dinosaur egg

Post by Xer06siX »

I didn't mess with draw dist, the only thing I changed in the .ini was the actual location of the game files. Honestly, it really is a non issue with me, out of a few hours of poking around the game exploring almost every inch that I could reach, I spent an unusual amount of time exploring. If I were to play straight through I may experience one or no crashes.
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Xer06siX wrote:I didn't mess with draw dist, the only thing I changed in the .ini was the actual location of the game files. Honestly, it really is a non issue with me, out of a few hours of poking around the game exploring almost every inch that I could reach, I spent an unusual amount of time exploring. If I were to play straight through I may experience one or no crashes.
That's the way the game is meant to be played! :wink: Can't stand it when people try to "hup" their way all the way through the game without taking in the sights...it's essentially an open-world game, after all. The odd crash is to be expected, of course (especially considering the amount of crashes you tend to experience with a lot of modern games *cough Bethesda cough*).
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

I always save the sightseeing tour for the second time I play a level... ;)
(The first time the objective is attempting to reach the end of the level without getting killed)