Trespasser HD - Beach / Jungle Road (BE + JR released)

Creating new content for Trespasser!

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Board Managers, TresCom Developers

machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Re: Trespasser HD - Beach / Jungle Road (BEACH RELEASED!)

Post by machf »

TheIdiot wrote:
The fm.ini file (the only other one that's outside the data folder, aside from the Readme) isn't even needed, as it points the location of some other files which aren't included inside the downloaded .ZIP file...
Well, you SHOULD use the fm.ini file, as it contains both the line which causes tp~beach.scn to be the first level loaded,
Given that this one isn't a complete mod (only the Beach level, and not even final/completed) and the level doesn't even have a level trigger at the end, I'd say it's not essential for the time being... I just use the SHIFT+CTRL+Q+W-W combination like with any other custom level.
and the "TerrainBackfaceCullBias=0.1" line, which should help with potential disappearing terrain vertices. Doesn't do much on levels created using terrain fixed via GUIApp, but it does appear to fix disappearing terrain in levels like JPDS, which uses improperly converted terrain.
It's better to set it in the trespasser.ini file instead, then, so that it's available for any level...

Code: Select all

; Additional fudge margin for backface culling terrain polygons (when HW rendering)
; useful for levels that have problems with terrain polygons disappearing and reappearing constantly when
; the player is moving around, increase value bit by bit, by for example 0.1 at a time, and see if the problem
; can be reduced in severity.
; This value can also be set in fm.ini, in which case the ini file with the largest value will be used.
;TerrainBackfaceCullBias=0
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Tres WIP: updated T-Script Reference and File Formats documents
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
Dragonlord
Compsognathus
Compsognathus

Post by Dragonlord »

Well, I got it loading with NewGame (not a problem to me, I'm using CE only for HD not any other mod). Performance is not so good (which astonishes me on my strong machine) but usable as long as no enemies are around. But all HD textures are pitch black (looks like Anne and the first crates you see are covered in pure black). No idea why the map is picked up but no custom textures. :/
Leader, Head Programmer: Epsylon | Drag[en]gine ( Wiki )
DrShaw
Triceratops
Triceratops

Post by DrShaw »

I so far love all the details and areas to explore. I quickly found out a lot of items and stuff do not have any collision in the later half of the map which was funny to walk through a massive rock as if the player is a ghost. I was extremely confuse when I got to the bridge puzzle where you first meat the raptor. I automatically tried to jump onto it just to faze through it which I was kinda expecting and yet not. So I use the fly cheat to get over it. I really like the updated monorail station look but no collision which was expected again but the gate oh god. The wood beam exploded as soon as I touch it and killed me as the doors suddenly went full on nuts. I am never trusting that gate ever again even when finished now. Also I had pretty decent frame rate of 35 to all the way to a smooth 60 fps in a few areas. I am using the dx9-HD settings btw.
~Dr.Shaw

We are tressers by heart like Anne. John made his dream come true as well as mine.
We trespass on his dream and to see the forgotten world that once was alive 65 million years ago now touchable. Who...dares to come trespass....?
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

machf wrote:Given that this one isn't a complete mod (only the Beach level, and not even final/completed) and the level doesn't even have a level trigger at the end, I'd say it's not essential for the time being... I just use the SHIFT+CTRL+Q+W-W combination like with any other custom level.
True. In any case, loading the level through the cheat menu is totally fine for the time being. Once I get custom menues and TPA files going, it will be a requirement.
Dragonlord wrote:Well, I got it loading with NewGame (not a problem to me, I'm using CE only for HD not any other mod). Performance is not so good (which astonishes me on my strong machine) but usable as long as no enemies are around. But all HD textures are pitch black (looks like Anne and the first crates you see are covered in pure black). No idea why the map is picked up but no custom textures. :/
I don't really expect anyone to get amazing performance in this level, even on a powerful computer - it's the engine which is ultimately going to bottleneck performance. There are no enemies anywhere in the level at the moment, although chances are they would probably slow the level even more for some players (although I've never noticed a performance drop when there are CAnimals about). Aaaand I don't really know why the HD textures would be black...sounds like something isn't set up right in CE, because if it wasn't loading the textures at all, you should instead have the default 256x textures.
DrShaw wrote: I so far love all the details and areas to explore. I quickly found out a lot of items and stuff do not have any collision in the later half of the map which was funny to walk through a massive rock as if the player is a ghost. I was extremely confuse when I got to the bridge puzzle where you first meat the raptor. I automatically tried to jump onto it just to faze through it which I was kinda expecting and yet not. So I use the fly cheat to get over it. I really like the updated monorail station look but no collision which was expected again but the gate oh god. The wood beam exploded as soon as I touch it and killed me as the doors suddenly went full on nuts. I am never trusting that gate ever again even when finished now. Also I had pretty decent frame rate of 35 to all the way to a smooth 60 fps in a few areas. I am using the dx9-HD settings btw.
Hmm, that bug with everything losing physics halfway through the level was reported by Draco as well, although it never happened to me in my testing...it seems as if there is some sort of limit to how many objects can have physics in a given area. The monorail station shouldn't have physics, though, since I didn't make any for it, but I'm fairly certain I gave the bridge physics. And yeah, haha, I never got around to fixing the bar on the gate - ultimately, the bar would probably have been immobile since I've never found a way to make the bar work without causing the gate to explode. :sick: And good to hear about the framerate - sounds like you and I have roughly the same performance in the level.
xelono
Parasaurus
Parasaurus

Post by xelono »

someone could please go back up this map?? please :cry:
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

xelono wrote:someone could please go back up this map?? please :cry:
I'm sorry, I don't understand what you mean by "back up this map". The download is still up, it hasn't been taken down.
xelono
Parasaurus
Parasaurus

Post by xelono »

TheIdiot wrote:
xelono wrote:someone could please go back up this map?? please :cry:
I'm sorry, I don't understand what you mean by "back up this map". The download is still up, it hasn't been taken down.
I can not download this map, Mediafire says it has deleted this file.
or there is another link with the download that I have not seen
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

The problem was that the download link wasn't properly copied and pasted into the first post, I've corrected it now.

Just in case, I've pasted it here too:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/z7ptd74k1 ... 1alpha.zip
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Thanks for fixing that up, machf, didn't notice that at all. :)
xelono
Parasaurus
Parasaurus

Post by xelono »

machf wrote:The problem was that the download link wasn't properly copied and pasted into the first post, I've corrected it now.

Just in case, I've pasted it here too:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/z7ptd74k1 ... 1alpha.zip
Muchas gracias compadre @machf :)

Very nice the map, you have done a good job @TheIdiot
Dragonlord
Compsognathus
Compsognathus

Post by Dragonlord »

Which one is the newest version now? Just curious if it fixes the black/missing textures.
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Dragonlord wrote:Which one is the newest version now? Just curious if it fixes the black/missing textures.
It's still the same version which machf fixed the link to on the original post, there shouldn't be black textures to begin with. There must be something going on on your end with the hi-res textures.
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

Hey, Dragonlord, someone else just reported a similar issue and later found a way to solve it:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=11200
Dragonlord
Compsognathus
Compsognathus

Post by Dragonlord »

The black textures are gone now but performance is even worse. At places it's around 2-3Hz although my machine can to CryEngine type graphics at good FPS :lol:
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Dragonlord wrote:The black textures are gone now but performance is even worse. At places it's around 2-3Hz although my machine can to CryEngine type graphics at good FPS :lol:
As I've said before, don't expect to get good performance in this level. Trespasser was never intended to have this much on screen at once, and the engine just isn't built for it.