SoKoTres

Creating new content for Trespasser!

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Board Managers, TresCom Developers

machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Re: SoKoTres

Post by machf »

Just updated the download and the corresponding description after uploading version 013. Give it another try...
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Tres WIP: updated T-Script Reference and File Formats documents
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
tatu
-=TresCom Website Manager=-
Antispam: No

Post by tatu »

10/10 download - contains Readme ;)
Active project: Trespasser: Isla Sorna
BE-PH1: Released
PH2-IT: Pre-released
PL-SUM: In production

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

I finished building the maze for level 2 a while ago. It's missing the triggers yet. Currently, the player will get teleported to the start of level 2 after completing level 1. And so forth for the remaining levels. Or should I make each SokoBan level a standalone level within Trespasser, connected by level load triggers, and release each of them separately? The current plan is a single Trespasser elvel containing all SokoBan levels...
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
tatu

Post by tatu »

I would say keep them all in the same level is possible. Personally I would find it a bit annoying to have 20 (or 50 for the 2nd one) different levels with the same purpose if they could be in the same one.
Active project: Trespasser: Isla Sorna
BE-PH1: Released
PH2-IT: Pre-released
PL-SUM: In production

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

Yes, I thought so. But it means you'll have to wait quite a while for the next release...
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Agree with tatu - make them all a single level. Having to load between 20 different levels would be somewhat annoying. Plus cheaters can't skip to the end. :wink:
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

Oh, I totally agree with those points. But it will demand patience from you while I continue building the mazes...
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

machf wrote:Oh, I totally agree with those points. But it will demand patience from you while I continue building the mazes...
Patience is a virtue which all TresCom members should have by this point, waiting for new levels and beta releases and so on. Should add that as a required tick box when new users register to the site. :wink:
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

Hahahaha.
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

Remember this part?
machf wrote:I kept doing that, saving after updating, then closin the level, then reloading it... but then it happened AFTER I edited the last trgger, while I was saving.

Guess what I've just found out? Strings in t-scripts (the part between quotes) can't be more than 128 characters long (or maybe it's 127, I don't know for sure). I had 6 triggers whose names were 21 characters long, I was making a FireExpression of the form "@Trigger01-00 & @Trigger02-00 ...", it worked fine when I had only 5 triggers in it, but as soon as I added the 6th one, TresEd crashed. GeomAdd would crash, too, as soon as I attempted to import a TPM file with that long string in its values.txt file. I had to rename each of the 6 triggers to shorten their names, so that the FireExpression wouldn't be too long.

Now I'm going to test if the triggers are working fine. If they do, I'll upload this version...
Well, level 2 has 10 crates - and now the FireExpression again becomes too long and it crashes. So, I decided to break it into two parts, each on none trigger testing for 5 crates, and a third trigger performing a logical AND of both the other ones.

It didn't work, damn it...
I finished pushing all 10 crates into place, and the end game trigger didin't fire... I need to run further tests.

I shudder thinking what may happen when I build a level where you have to palce 20 crates...
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Tons of ways to solve that but you might bring it up with Lee. Probably script cases not addressed by devs.
Dragonlord
Compsognathus
Compsognathus

Post by Dragonlord »

machf wrote:Remember this part?
machf wrote:I kept doing that, saving after updating, then closin the level, then reloading it... but then it happened AFTER I edited the last trgger, while I was saving.

Guess what I've just found out? Strings in t-scripts (the part between quotes) can't be more than 128 characters long (or maybe it's 127, I don't know for sure). I had 6 triggers whose names were 21 characters long, I was making a FireExpression of the form "@Trigger01-00 & @Trigger02-00 ...", it worked fine when I had only 5 triggers in it, but as soon as I added the 6th one, TresEd crashed. GeomAdd would crash, too, as soon as I attempted to import a TPM file with that long string in its values.txt file. I had to rename each of the 6 triggers to shorten their names, so that the FireExpression wouldn't be too long.

Now I'm going to test if the triggers are working fine. If they do, I'll upload this version...
Well, level 2 has 10 crates - and now the FireExpression again becomes too long and it crashes. So, I decided to break it into two parts, each on none trigger testing for 5 crates, and a third trigger performing a logical AND of both the other ones.

It didn't work, damn it...
I finished pushing all 10 crates into place, and the end game trigger didin't fire... I need to run further tests.

I shudder thinking what may happen when I build a level where you have to palce 20 crates...
Half-Life 1 developers did a funny way to handle triggers. They made it so if a trigger expression finishes a FunctionRotate had been activate. This in turn unblocked a Laser causing damage to a trigger behind it which triggered the actual action. What I could imagine is having a hidden physics object under the floor. Then the trigger expression fires the object is un-frozen falling down touching a trigger. Each expression combination triggers one such object. When all fell down the final trigger expression is valid and fires. Does this sound like a plan? Never tried this myself but from what I remember from TresScripting it should be doable with little effort.
Leader, Head Programmer: Epsylon | Drag[en]gine ( Wiki )
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

The thing I find despairing is that I need to set up a host of multiple triggers for something that should be easily doable with a single one...

I mean, I'm already using SIX triggers just to determine if a crate is placed in a given spot or not, times six (for six spots in the first level) or times ten (for ten spots in the second one), plus an additional trigger that ANDs together he results of the last one of each six sets (or ten sets in the second level)... and now I'll need even more.
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

Victory!

I managed to get the triggers working just by adding two more triggers and slightly modifying a few more. Now the same process should apply for any further levels wih even more crates.

Maybe I'm going to upload this version with levels 1 and 2 just in case...
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Never know when those Tres level gremlins will strike