Old dinosaur riggings

Discuss early Trespasser builds and all other early Trespasser stuff here! Discover more amazing stuff about the game!

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Board Managers, TresCom Developers

machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Old dinosaur riggings

Post by machf »

Remember back then in July or so, when I wrote this?
machf wrote:Not quite the same, but I've been working on figuring out the original PVAs (physics vertex assignments, according to sources) used for the old dinosaurs, before they changed to "PVA = -2" (t-script-defined) for everything. I've run decompilers on the various earlier executables and have found the locations storing the hardcoded vertex assignments for the various dinosaurs. Now it's a matter of converting that into matching t-scripts... which will be a long and tedious process.
Well, today I took the time to convert the hardcoded data into something that can be used.
HardcodedPVAs55xls.zip
(88.56 KiB) Downloaded 598 times
Here's the (partial) reference, BTW:

Code: Select all

//**************************************
// 
// PVA Assignments Key:
//
// PVA 1: 
// PVA 2: 
// PVA 3: 
// PVA 4: Latest Raptor (Dancing Raptor)
// PVA 5: New Anne Stuff (lots of hand modifications incl. opening/closing)
// PVA 6: Raptor with Jaw assignments
//
// PVA 1000: Anne
// 
// PVA 2000: Velociraptor
//
// PVA 3000: T-Rex
//
// PVA 4000: Triceratops
//
// PVA 5000: Allosaurus
//
// PVA 6000: Para
//
// PVA 7000: Stegosaur
//
// PVA 8000: Compy
//
// PVA 9000: Brachiosaur
//
// PVA 10000: Baby Triceratops
//
// PVA 11000: Baby T-Rex
//
And then I went and used the data to fix the TPM files for a couple of dinosaurs:
TrikeOldIJ.zip
(212.73 KiB) Downloaded 583 times
Para_A.zip
(29.39 KiB) Downloaded 577 times
I tried to rig the Green Rex too, but the number of vertices in the mesh found in IJ and PH doesn't match the one in the hardcoded PVA values...
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Tres WIP: updated T-Script Reference and File Formats documents
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Re: Old dinosaur riggings

Post by machf »

Forget what I said eralier, here's the Green Rex in all its 256*256-pixellated glory:
TRex_m_A.zip
(26.81 KiB) Downloaded 582 times
Turns out that the software I had used for decompiling the exe had skipped that section, no wonder I couldn't find anything matching the Green Rex...

Now, let's go after the Brown Raptors...
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer
Antispam: No

Post by Draconisaurus »

Well shit, actual pre-release dino riggings. Like cloning a dinosaur you previously had only bones of. That IJ Trike - its mesh is different from retail, yes? Hadn't given it a second thought, might be nice to use.

As for Mr. Green..... Time to pump out an HD texture by compositing materials...
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

Enjoy!

One Brown Raptor just out of the oven, one!
RaptorPH.zip
(120.53 KiB) Downloaded 586 times
Apparently had the same problem as with the Green Rex - but not anymore!

Going to do the same thing to the various Anne meshes later...
tatu
-=TresCom Website Manager=-

Post by tatu »

Compy and baby dinosaurs, interesting... I wonder if they ever put those in any level.

Really nice. Possible to do the raptor in TestScene as well, the long clawed one?
Active project: Trespasser: Isla Sorna
BE-PH1: Released
PH2-IT: Pre-released
PL-SUM: In production

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

Sure, I was just working on it...
RaptorE3.zip
(96.88 KiB) Downloaded 572 times
Took me a while because for some reason I couldn't extract the textures in TresEd... that level kept loading with messed up texture, in the meantime I used Rebel's version of the Raptor to get them.

Now I'm off to bed... good night everyone!
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

And here's one I forgot to finish last night(because I got sidetracked trying to export the long-clawed raptor to TPM):
TRex_f_A-PH.zip
(25.04 KiB) Downloaded 563 times
I used the other Green Rex (the first one was from IJ, this is the one from PH) to provide the existing alternate hardcoded PVAs, corresponding to PVA = 3002; the other one is from PVA = 3001, which is the one both Green Rexes actually use, but I haven't found another Rex using the 3002 value in any level so far... so I said, what the heck, let's use the second one, since the vertex count is the same.
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

Aaaaaand... here's Black Shirt Anne, from TestScene 32:
AnneBlackShirtTestScene32PVA5.zip
(100.41 KiB) Downloaded 573 times
For some reason, I have't been able to attach the PVA info to the other erion of Anne contained in builds 22, 32 and 55... the number of assignments is right, but the vertex order is wrong, and I've tried two different ones.
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Odd. The Annes in those builds obviously work somehow; doesn't that mean the engine contains their PVAs?
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

Yes, so I guess the level files from which I'm extracting the mesh(es) have had them reimported or something...
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

Well, finally, here's the other version of Anne as she appeared in IJ from Build 22:
AnneIJ22.zip
(131.71 KiB) Downloaded 578 times
And just to be sure, here she is as she appeared in IJ from Build 32, which has the Bone #0 properly centered at (0,0,0):
AnneIJ32.zip
(131.09 KiB) Downloaded 544 times
So, it was the same problem I had with the Green Rex... with the additional that, apparently, there have been several Anne meshes with the same number of vertices, so the one I was attempting to use belonged to a different one, and the one I needed had been skipped by the decompiler I had used...

Too bad we don't have an old version of the Steg... or that "Allosaurus" listed in the code... or the baby dinos or the compy, either.
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

I wonder about all the Allo/Ally material in Tres. At what point he became Alberta, what the transition period was like. Wouldn't be surprised if the Alberta kept getting called Allo for a bit. Or, maybe Alberto was the original intention, and some dev just looked at it and thought it was an Allo, and it took a while for the names to be fixed in the places they were..
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

// PVA 8000: Compy
Hmm, so that's more evidence at the compy also having been cut alongside gallimimus...wonder where the baby Rex would have fit in as well? There's no mention of one anywhere else in any Tres material as far as I'm aware.
Draconisaurus wrote:I wonder about all the Allo/Ally material in Tres. At what point he became Alberta, what the transition period was like. Wouldn't be surprised if the Alberta kept getting called Allo for a bit. Or, maybe Alberto was the original intention, and some dev just looked at it and thought it was an Allo, and it took a while for the names to be fixed in the places they were..
I still wonder if allosaurus was indeed meant to be in the game...that one pre-release screenshot of an early red dinosaur model looks a lot more like an allosaurus than an albertosaurus to me.
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

Who knows? Maybe one of these days we may find out from one of the developers...

Here's the actual list of functions in Build 22:

//
// PVA Assignments Key:
//
// PVA 0: PVA_0
// PVA 1: PVA_1
// PVA 2: PVA_2
// PVA 3: PVA_3
// PVA 4: PVA_4 - Latest Raptor (Dancing Raptor)
// PVA 5: PVA_5 - New Anne Stuff (lots of hand modifications incl. opening/closing)
//
// PVA 1000: PVA_Anne0
// PVA 1001: PVA_Anne1
// PVA 1002: PVA_Anne2
// PVA 1003: PVA_Anne3
// PVA 1004: PVA_Anne4
//
// PVA 2000: PVA_Raptor0
// PVA 2001: PVA_Raptor1
//
// PVA 3000: PVA_TRex0
//
// PVA 4000: PVA_Trike0
// PVA 4001: PVA_Trike1
//
And the functions in Builds 32 and 55 with the names taken from the debug strings contained in the Build 32 exe:

//
// PVA Assignments Key:
//
// PVA 0: PVA_0
// PVA 1: PVA_1
// PVA 2: PVA_2
// PVA 3: PVA_3
// PVA 4: PVA_4 - Latest Raptor (Dancing Raptor)
// PVA 5: PVA_5 - New Anne Stuff (lots of hand modifications incl. opening/closing)
//
// PVA 1000: PVA_Anne0
// PVA 1001: PVA_Anne1
// PVA 1002: PVA_Anne2
// PVA 1003: PVA_Anne3
// PVA 1004: PVA_Anne4
//
// PVA 2000: PVA_Raptor0
// PVA 2001: PVA_Raptor1
//
// PVA 3000: PVA_TRex0
// PVA 3001: PVA_TRex_m
// PVA 3002: PVA_TRex_alpha_f
//
// PVA 4000: PVA_Trike0
// PVA 4001: PVA_Trike1
//
// PVA 5000: PVA_Allos_m_A01
//
// PVA 6000: PVA_Para1
//
// PVA 7000: PVA_Steg1
//
// PVA 9000: PVA_Brachi0
//
// PVA 11000: PVA_TrexBaby1
//
So, there are 23 hardcoded PVAs in those exes...
tatu

Post by tatu »

I find it interesting to see that the TRex PVA is using the same names as the meshes in the levels. And I also see that the Allo also is using the same name theme as the TRex.

I have send a message to see if he remembers anything if these dinosaurs were ever implemented into a level.
Active project: Trespasser: Isla Sorna
BE-PH1: Released
PH2-IT: Pre-released
PL-SUM: In production

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."