TresCom Forums

TresCom : The Trespasser Fan Gateway...
It is currently Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:21 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Ingame DLight Test
PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 5:33 am 
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Didn't someone say that the light direction can't be changed ingame?...

Remembered mucking with light objects in GUIApp years ago, yielding real-time shadow changes (though not in play-mode), so I wanted to test this...

Post subject: Re: Ingame DLight Test
PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:08 pm 
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Huh, the lighting system is pretty versatile and looks pretty good when light is at a sharp angle.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:11 pm 
-=TresCom Website Manager=-

Hey @TheIdiot. I have still not taken a look at your day/night circle. Does it include this? This would be amazing to the mod!

"The main laboratory and administrative buildings. This is where we made our work, where the real magic trick happen. When they are in need of height fixing, they'll come here." - Hammond

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:10 am 
T-Rex
T-Rex

tatu wrote:
Hey @TheIdiot. I have still not taken a look at your day/night circle. Does it include this? This would be amazing to the mod!

Well, my day/night cycle does include a moving DLight, but I did it using teleportation rather than animation to prevent the lag you see in Draco's video. The day/night cycle in my full island level instead has a number of specific steps which the DLight is teleported every now and then - I think it was once every 10 or 20 minutes? It's not smooth, but it's the only practical solution I could come up with. That way as the sun goes down, the lighting changes and the shadows extend via timely triggers which are on an infinitely looping cycle. Can't remember how long I made the entire cycle in the end...I think it was 4 hours?

My currently active projects:
Return to Jurassic Park: A Trespasser Mod - Forum or ModDB | Trespasser HD: Beach (Released!) / Jungle Road | TheIdiot's release thread

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:42 am 
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Even Skyrim moves the ingame shadows in small segments rather than constantly...

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:58 am 
T-Rex
T-Rex

Draconisaurus wrote:
Even Skyrim moves the ingame shadows in small segments rather than constantly...

True, although there is an .ini tweak you can do which makes them move in real-time, since it really doesn't affect performance on a decent PC.

Still, we should do more experimenting with the DLights and see what we can come up with. Perhaps if you move the DLight in small increments but in rapid succession using Delay actions, you avoid the lag but still get a smoothish-looking shadow effect?

Return to Jurassic Park: A Trespasser Mod - Forum or ModDB | Trespasser HD: Beach (Released!) / Jungle Road | TheIdiot's release thread

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:05 am 
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Don't see a good reason not to speed-up the teleport event.. provided the testing holds up.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:49 pm 

Cool. Yes, more testing. We can figure this out ;)

"The main laboratory and administrative buildings. This is where we made our work, where the real magic trick happen. When they are in need of height fixing, they'll come here." - Hammond

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:41 am 
T-Rex
T-Rex

Draconisaurus wrote:
Don't see a good reason not to speed-up the teleport event.. provided the testing holds up.

Well, I just didn't really feel like scripting a million different triggers in a sequence to make it teleport more smoothly. :P