Creating new content for Trespasser!

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Board Managers, TresCom Developers

Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer
Antispam: No

Ingame DLight Test

Post by Draconisaurus »

Didn't someone say that the light direction can't be changed ingame?...

Remembered mucking with light objects in GUIApp years ago, yielding real-time shadow changes (though not in play-mode), so I wanted to test this...
Slugger
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Re: Ingame DLight Test

Post by Slugger »

Huh, the lighting system is pretty versatile and looks pretty good when light is at a sharp angle.
0066521C: 'Cannot create local swap file - Is Trespasser installed??',0Ah,0
"Cold lino was the driving force behind world power!"
tatu
-=TresCom Website Manager=-

Post by tatu »

Hey @TheIdiot. I have still not taken a look at your day/night circle. Does it include this? This would be amazing to the mod!
Active project: Trespasser: Isla Sorna
BE-PH1: Released
PH2-IT: Pre-released
PL-SUM: In production

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

tatu wrote:Hey @TheIdiot. I have still not taken a look at your day/night circle. Does it include this? This would be amazing to the mod!
Well, my day/night cycle does include a moving DLight, but I did it using teleportation rather than animation to prevent the lag you see in Draco's video. The day/night cycle in my full island level instead has a number of specific steps which the DLight is teleported every now and then - I think it was once every 10 or 20 minutes? It's not smooth, but it's the only practical solution I could come up with. That way as the sun goes down, the lighting changes and the shadows extend via timely triggers which are on an infinitely looping cycle. Can't remember how long I made the entire cycle in the end...I think it was 4 hours?
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Even Skyrim moves the ingame shadows in small segments rather than constantly...
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Draconisaurus wrote:Even Skyrim moves the ingame shadows in small segments rather than constantly...
True, although there is an .ini tweak you can do which makes them move in real-time, since it really doesn't affect performance on a decent PC.

Still, we should do more experimenting with the DLights and see what we can come up with. Perhaps if you move the DLight in small increments but in rapid succession using Delay actions, you avoid the lag but still get a smoothish-looking shadow effect?
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Don't see a good reason not to speed-up the teleport event.. provided the testing holds up.
tatu

Post by tatu »

Cool. Yes, more testing. We can figure this out ;)
Active project: Trespasser: Isla Sorna
BE-PH1: Released
PH2-IT: Pre-released
PL-SUM: In production

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Draconisaurus wrote:Don't see a good reason not to speed-up the teleport event.. provided the testing holds up.
Well, I just didn't really feel like scripting a million different triggers in a sequence to make it teleport more smoothly. :P