Screenshot thread

TheIdiot's new mod set on Isla Nublar

Moderators: scallenger, Wajas, TheIdiot

TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Re: Screenshot thread

Post by TheIdiot »

Draconisaurus wrote:That girl looks quite nice... Inaccurate versions of the JP1 Rex have run rampant through JP recreations, official and unofficial. I would want to have a look at her in TresEd to give my final review on film-accuracy... Most notably, the JPOG Rex has a very fat head; can't tell exactly how different it is, here. What method of comparison did you use?
I just used lots of visual reference of the animatronic, for the most part. I didn't think to thin down the head, but now that I look at it, you're definitely right, and I'll have to look at fixing that too. I think I got the overall pose of the body as good as it can be with this particular model, specifically the arc of the spine. There are of course plenty of other things that could be improved, but for now I think she looks good.

Also been working on getting the gallimimus to have a properly bent neck without success. The head just kind of remains at its horizontal from the body position, which causes some insane stretching. I'm thinking of just bending the neck without changing the head position as I suspect that may work. It can't stay the way it is in TC~Isle - as great as that model is, I just can't get over that the straight neck looks a bit...err...weird. The tail is also a bit short from the looks of things. :?
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

TheIdiot wrote: Also been working on getting the gallimimus to have a properly bent neck without success. The head just kind of remains at its horizontal from the body position, which causes some insane stretching. I'm thinking of just bending the neck without changing the head position as I suspect that may work. It can't stay the way it is in TC~Isle - as great as that model is, I just can't get over that the straight neck looks a bit...err...weird. The tail is also a bit short from the looks of things. :?
S.I. thought the same about the Raptor's neck (and tail). Unfortunately, we still have to figure out how to get the bones to stay in place and not return to the positions in the retail meshes... there *is* a way, since, after all, all bipeds share the same skeleton, as do all quadrupeds too, and the bones stay in the proper positions for each of them...
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Tres WIP: updated T-Script Reference and File Formats documents
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

machf wrote:
TheIdiot wrote: Also been working on getting the gallimimus to have a properly bent neck without success. The head just kind of remains at its horizontal from the body position, which causes some insane stretching. I'm thinking of just bending the neck without changing the head position as I suspect that may work. It can't stay the way it is in TC~Isle - as great as that model is, I just can't get over that the straight neck looks a bit...err...weird. The tail is also a bit short from the looks of things. :?
S.I. thought the same about the Raptor's neck (and tail). Unfortunately, we still have to figure out how to get the bones to stay in place and not return to the positions in the retail meshes... there *is* a way, since, after all, all bipeds share the same skeleton, as do all quadrupeds too, and the bones stay in the proper positions for each of them...
Yeah, I'm aware of that fixed version of the Raptor out there, which seems to work well for the most part. Was thinking of trying something similar on the galli. And chances are, machf, if you don't know how to move the bones without them snapping back, nobody does. You're kind of my go-to guy for rigging matters.
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

The very last thing I've thought regarding that is whether the existence of the bones in the shadow mesh may be what forces the "main" bones back into their positions of it has nothing to do and it's something else...
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

machf wrote:The very last thing I've thought regarding that is whether the existence of the bones in the shadow mesh may be what forces the "main" bones back into their positions of it has nothing to do and it's something else...
Have you tried deleting the shadow mesh altogether? That might solve it.
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

I can't remember if I already tried that or not, maybe not...
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer
Antispam: No

Post by Draconisaurus »

I just want to note that, the original ankylosaurus I received from machf had the legs stretched inward to match the stego/trike (whichever was used) pose. It was either SI or Nick who fixed it up such that the leg physics are spread out appropriately for the dinosaur. Do not know how this was achieved.
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

Well, that skeleton has no shadow mesh, so maybe that's the answer...
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

machf wrote:Well, that skeleton has no shadow mesh, so maybe that's the answer...
Could be! None of the dinosaurs I have in RTJP use shadow meshes, maybe I could try it out there. If I wanted to change the position of the bones, would I just move them manually in Max/TresEd? Do you think that would work..?
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

I'd say move them in TresEd. If you move them in MAX, it may alter the shape of the mesh...
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer
Antispam: No

Post by Draconisaurus »

I get the distinct feeling it requires more than simply moving the model but idk what that would be..