Does anyone know what soort of synth was used in production?

Discuss and analyze Bill Brown’s score for Trespasser.

Moderators: scallenger, TresCom Board Managers

PsychologicalDevice
Triceratops
Triceratops

Does anyone know what soort of synth was used in production?

Post by PsychologicalDevice »

Since I'm into keyboards and such, and love the sound of the Trespasser soundtrack, and how moody it is. I was just wondering if anyone knew what exactly kind of layout, keyboard, synth etc. was used during the production of the soundtrack. I'd love to actually add a bit onto the soundtrack to put into the stream tpa, but without exactly knowing what was used, my hands are tied and I can't emulate that great sound. I was wondering if anyone could help, or point me in the right direction?
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Re: Does anyone know what soort of synth was used in product

Post by machf »

Well, you could try asking Bill Brown... or maybe he already mentioned something in an interview, take a look first.
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Tres WIP: updated T-Script Reference and File Formats documents
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer
Antispam: No

Post by Draconisaurus »

Scallenger might even be able to ask for you.. They have well-established contact.
Second Illiteration
Albertosaurus
Albertosaurus

Post by Second Illiteration »

Did he use actual live instruments/orchestration? Beyond that, there are lots of virtual instruments/VSTs that can make great sounding orchestration
PsychologicalDevice
Triceratops
Triceratops

Post by PsychologicalDevice »

Second Illiteration wrote:Did he use actual live instruments/orchestration? Beyond that, there are lots of virtual instruments/VSTs that can make great sounding orchestration
I know that, but I wanted it to sound a bit more authentic. Software and hardware from 1997 or 1998 would probably better give that Trespasser feel than something modern.

Thanks for the answers guys. I'll try contacting Scallenger, or Bill Brown himself. Try hunting around for some interviews.
tatu
-=TresCom Website Manager=-
-=TresCom Website Manager=-
Antispam: No

Post by tatu »

IIRC Bill did most of the music himself, without external help.

Scall and me got contact with him though Facebook years ago, he is really kind and will probably respond to any question you have :)
Active project: Trespasser: Isla Sorna
BE-PH1: Released
PH2-IT: Pre-released
PL-SUM: In production

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
Second Illiteration
Albertosaurus
Albertosaurus

Post by Second Illiteration »

PsychologicalDevice wrote:
Second Illiteration wrote:Did he use actual live instruments/orchestration? Beyond that, there are lots of virtual instruments/VSTs that can make great sounding orchestration
I know that, but I wanted it to sound a bit more authentic. Software and hardware from 1997 or 1998 would probably better give that Trespasser feel than something modern.

Thanks for the answers guys. I'll try contacting Scallenger, or Bill Brown himself. Try hunting around for some interviews.

I assume you mean more authentic to the time? As opposed to more authentically like real instruments?