Trespasser VR Unity Prototype

Creating new content for Trespasser!

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Board Managers, TresCom Developers

james_uk
Dinosaur egg
Dinosaur egg

Trespasser VR Unity Prototype

Post by james_uk »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZBXKRebDzc (youtube tags aren't working for some reason)

Download: http://www.mediafire.com/file/x469a1odn ... _Proto.zip

Having had an Oculus Touch/Rift for the past couple of months now, I was wondering what Trespasser could be like if it was given VR/Motion Control support. I threw this together in Unity to find out :). It's been built in OpenVR/SteamVR so it should be compatible with both the HTC Vive and the Oculus Rift. There's a basic recreation of the demo level, the testing area and one of the lab buildings.

Controls:
Hold down A button and move both motion controls in walking motion to move around. Press one of the thumbsticks down to teleport. Press the trigger button whilst holding an object to activate the object if applicable. (guns)
Use the grip button to pickup an object.

Having been broken for the past 19 years, Anne finally regains control of her left arm! Both arms are fully usable in a true to life sense so it's possible to examine and manipulate objects in far more advanced ways than what were possible. Akimbo weapons handling is also available as a result :)
1 Browning Machine Gun? Why not yield 2?

Known issues:
1) Raptors in the interior test area for some reason will try and attack you from upstairs even though you're on the ground floor.
2) Health for player isn't implemented.
3) Ammo is infinite.
4) Movement on the terrain in the demo area can be a bit finicky at times. Teleport a short distance in front of you to grandually move over the area
5) Held objects in both your hands and belt area tend to drop if you teleport a long distance in front of you.
6) Sometimes when duel wielding the Uzi's, the sound can become clipped. (from what I've read, this is a Unity3D bug)

Some gun sounds by SFXGuy (Youtube)
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer
Antispam: No

Re: Trespasser VR Unity Prototype

Post by Draconisaurus »

:| ......!!!!!! Trespasser has truly evolved to meet the new world of game potential... This is frakin' awesome, infinite kudos.
KillerBee256
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

Post by KillerBee256 »

Since we have the source code, would it be possible to add code for vr and touch controls into trespasser proper?
Fear the frog....
james_uk
Dinosaur egg
Dinosaur egg

Post by james_uk »

KillerBee256 wrote:Since we have the source code, would it be possible to add code for vr and touch controls into trespasser proper?
Although it's well outside my abilities to use Trespassers source code, here's some observations on what one would have to do to make it work.

1) One of the first things I did was try to use 3DRipperDX and Ninja Ripper on GUIApp and the Trespasser CE executable in an attempt to get 1:1 textured terrains. Although both applications hook into GUIApp as it's running on DX9, the output is completely flat. Where Trespassers renderer had Hardware Acceleration hacked on in the last couple of months of development, it appears to lack a Z-Buffer even in the newer DX9 port which means everything is rendered effectively on a 2D plane. The renderer would more than likely need to be heavily modified to fully render in 3D and at the correct depth.

2) The scale of just about every object in the game would need modifying to match its real-life counterpart. One of the things I noticed very early on when establishing a unified pipeline for porting the objects across to Unity was that the scale of many of the objects were much too big. This was most obvious on the Oil Drums and PC computer objects. Although the scale isn't apparent on a 2D monitor, it becomes glaringly obvious in Stereoscopic VR. This would possibly even go as far as affecting the buildings/interiors as well.

3) The playermovement system/camera hook system would more than likely have to be completely ripped out and re-implemented from scratch. One of the most important rules with VR is avoid moving camera otherwise it's a one way ticket to Motion Sickness. Even when at a standstill, in certain circumstances, the players camera has subtle movements which would cause problems in VR.

On another note, if anyone happens to know of a process to extract terrains with full textures/assignments/road/dirt tracks and get them into modelling programs (3DS Max) please let me know. The heightmaps that TresED exports are limited in terms of 1:1 fidelity with the original game and I don't have a Unity3D process for getting proper splined roads/dirt tracks in.
james_uk
Dinosaur egg
Dinosaur egg

Post by james_uk »

Done some experimenting today and have devised a process for getting textured terrains into 3DS Max along with the roads/decals whilst also synchronizing the original object co-ordinates from Tres-ED to Unity3D. Ground decals are still a tad glitchy (these were ultimately applied to the terrain by using 3DS Max's conform function) but are pretty close to the original whilst requiring minimal fixing by hand. Currently experimenting with the feasibility of porting a level across at the moment. Even in a very priliminary state, you can really appreciate the sense of scale of both the environment and the interiors in VR. :)

ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

:o Wow. I'm speechless. If we could get a remake/port of Trespasser over to a modern engine...all of the original engine's heavily-encoded faults which have troubled us in the past would be no more. I'm extremely excited to see where this goes. Keep it up, james! :D

Question: does this work WITHOUT a VR headset? I never really planned on getting one and I'm eager to give this a try.

Oh yeah, and welcome to the forum. :wink:
tatu
-=TresCom Website Manager=-
-=TresCom Website Manager=-

Post by tatu »

Looking really good!

The main issue I can see with this is the dinosaurs. As far as I know it requires some good coding to make them behave like in Trespasser and not be animated.
Active project: Trespasser: Isla Sorna
BE-PH1: Released
PH2-IT: Pre-released
PL-SUM: In production

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
james_uk
Dinosaur egg
Dinosaur egg

Post by james_uk »

TheIdiot - This is being made primarily for VR/Motion Controllers right now so it won't work without them. Depending on how far this gets or if there's sufficient interest, I would like to look into the possibility of providing the source for the levels geometry so others can migrate Trespassers levels into whatever engine or 3D modelling programs they like :)

Tatu - I'm currently using pretty basic AI right now as my scripting skills are very basic. I doubt I have the means to add Trespassers IK physics based animation system.

Quick update. First section of Lab is now playable upto the second gate in terms of keycard usage :). The first keypad works with the original code and opens the gate accordingly. I've had to kill off the shadows and water reflections as it was making the frame-rate highly erratic which in turn causes judder. Locomotion has now been changed to Joystick/Trackpad based movement. Waving your arms around in a walking motion to walk a mile across the terrain gets very tiring :P

ImageImage
ImageImage
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

TheIdiot - This is being made primarily for VR/Motion Controllers right now so it won't work without them. Depending on how far this gets or if there's sufficient interest, I would like to look into the possibility of providing the source for the levels geometry so others can migrate Trespassers levels into whatever engine or 3D modelling programs they like :)
That's a shame. :cry: I'm still extremely skeptical of VR, although I do understand the intent and reason. Just out of curiosity, how difficult would it be to remap the current controls to mouse and keyboard instead? I imagine getting two arms functioning with one mouse would be pretty hard.

LAB is looking pretty great! I'm excited to see PV and IT imported if you ever get around to it.
Blapeuh
Stegosaurus
Stegosaurus

Post by Blapeuh »

Very cool project, and impressive results.
Hat tip to you kind sir.
PsychologicalDevice
Triceratops
Triceratops

Post by PsychologicalDevice »

Two armed Anne.....finally....

Also interestingly enough, the lighting in Unity on Trespasser buildings really does remind me of the Pre-Release Bull Shots. Trespasser is one pretty game with the right technology to make it pop.
Shep
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by Shep »

:o

I recently got a oculus rift and have been looking for ways to play trespasser in vr for a bit, and today was seeing about using unreal's simple vr level creator, but to see someone actually doing it, and better, is awesome.

Would it be possible to add multiplayer? A multiplayer trespasser game would be something great, and even more so if it's in vr.

Anyway, going to try it out now...

Edit: This was GREAT, I did have some problems though:

#1 The teleporting was not working when I closed the game and restarted, but that may be my fault.
#2 It would be nice if I could change default direction.
#3 Raptors were everywhere. lol.

What I loved about this the most was seeing little dinosaurs and cars as if they were toys. Now just make them have ai and play god in a miniature trespasser environment. On another thought, imagine an operation genesis but in vr, be able to pick up dinosaurs as if they were pets. Like in the game introduction with the hand...

https://youtu.be/nEwKWjXRFo0?t=1m59s
Oh, a Raptor got 'em!

Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Sounds fun. Are there videos about showing the type of VR space you're using? And I'm unclear on what you were able to accomplish: VR in the Tres engine? Tres assets in another engine with VR? Or just dinos 'n shit in VR?

And as soon as we find a real way to play Tres levels in multiplayer, I am 100% on board...
Shep
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by Shep »

I was talking about the game james_uk posted here at the top, and the video of it can be seen which he already posted...
Go to 17:00 for the little dinosaurs I was talking about.
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZBXKRebDzc[/youtube]

But actually seeing the models of the bus and the t.rex in a action figure size was really entertaining, really seeing trespasser in vr is amazing in general, I mostly liked the lab building, actually seeing nedry's office as if it were real. Also, when there was a raptor next to me, I looked closely at it while it paused, and then outta nowhere it bites me, lol. But there isn't really any fear in a bite for anything because you know your just playing around and you can't die even in the game. But if it was an intense game then i'd probably be more scared when I see a raptor. Idk, i'm rambling on at this point.

O, one last thing, i'm not a game dev or anything and don't really know how it is really done, but it'd be cool if we could port a whole entire tres level as one, making new games or recreations better. But idk if that can be done.
Oh, a Raptor got 'em!

Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Oh, yes I saw those toy dinos :mrgreen: So you actually played the download, that's awesome!

I'm not sure I follow your uncertain question? Port a Tres level how/where exactly? Periodically modders come in attempting to recreate Tres in another engine but they generally don't get passed BE... OTOH I have seen some completed work, such as a remake of the town and the lab as Far Cry 3 custom maps using the game's built-in editor. They were actually really nice but I never played them with other people... GODDAMNIT, I MISS THIS HACKER CRAP!