Ruins Level (Page 6 Download (final version 01/25/2019)

Creating new content for Trespasser!

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Board Managers, TresCom Developers

Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Re: Ruins Level

Post by Rebel »

Hmm. That IS odd, since of all the triggers it seems the PlayerEnter/Leave triggers seem to be the ones the least prone to malfunction. Have you tested it with a CStartTrigger, by any chance? Alternately you might have to use some Variable triggers that have the evaluate now function to determine whether the flame should be visible or not.
T.I., seems using tracktwo settings in lieu of visibility worked just fine (and with saved games). I'll verify it a few times though before uploading another package. I tried CStartTriggers before the above solution, that didn't work, but I had a feeling that controlling the animation directly might. Still don't understand it, but t'is the quarks of modding tres. ;)

@Drac, if I had the extra dough bud, I'd buy you one!

Saved games should work just fine now. Due note the saved game labeled 'test' is no good, toss it (from an earlier test I forgot to delete). No way in hell I'm going to upload again for something so minor.

*Note: AspectRatio is set at 16.9 since I'm a using wide-screen monitor. If you have a square monitor, set the AspectRatio to 0.0 (or 4.1). You'll
find the setting inside the ATX_config. file. There's a read_me file found inside the level's folder -
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

T.I., seems using tracktwo settings in lieu of visibility worked just fine (and with saved games).
Interesting. I'll have to try that out then. I've had problems with animated textures in the past before (animations glitching out, or animations breaking altogether) so finding a definite working setting would help a lot.

Will check out the new level version and make sure everything works fine on CE. :)

EDIT: Gave it a quick run-through and tested with some save-and-loads, and it seems everything is in order. I like the Tomb Raider-ish cutscene thing you added that gives the hint to the wall puzzle. I'd like to suggest extending this slightly from the current animation and actually having the camera move from its current position to look at the hole in the wall for a few seconds in addition to the quick cut you already have as it is still relatively hard to spot the hole. Also you might make
Spoiler: show
the fire that you need for the torch
a bit larger so that it is more noticeable from the get-go.
Shadefyre
Dinosaur egg
Dinosaur egg

Post by Shadefyre »

So essentially what happened is I picked up the gas can at the very start of the level, which of course prevented the audio cues from firing. But the weird thing is, when I found the torch it was already lit, and I tapped the gas can with it which left the flame effect on the gas can that presumably should have only been there when it was placed in the right spot. What I think happened was picking up the gas can first somehow caused the torch to trigger it's lit state? When I replayed through (since the gas can already being on fire also prevented the wall explosion from triggering even after it was placed in the right spot) and did things in the right order, it worked fine.
I can link the video if you'd like.
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

So essentially what happened is I picked up the gas can at the very start of the level, which of course prevented the audio cues from firing. But the weird thing is, when I found the torch it was already lit, and I tapped the gas can with it which left the flame effect on the gas can that presumably should have only been there when it was placed in the right spot.
Hmm. I also picked up the gas can at the start and didn't encounter much of an issue, aside from the missing audio. The torch was out when I got there, and I was unable to light the gas can until it had been placed in the wall.
Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Rebel »

Shadefyre, you had to be playing off a saved game, right? At any rate, all those issues are fixed in the latest release. I deleted all the other versions
so that no one else runs into those issues. The way it's set now, the animation controls the visibility of the flames on both the can and the torch. So,
in essence, now for instance, if you had lit the torch and saved the game, the torch should remain lit. If however, you save a game and the torch was
not lit, then it should be unlit until you light it up. The only quark there, is there's like a two second delay for the tracktwo settings on the animation to
kick in, so say you save a game with the torch unlit directly in front of you, you might catch the 1 or 2 second flame animation before it reaches the
frame where it goes to invisibility. (there should be no issues whatsoever if you simply play thru)

Fire was never meant to be a part of trespasser, and they definitely didn't expect anne to be walking around with a torch, so I really can't blame
the programmers for anything we do beyond the original intent of the game.

The whole animation sequence using tracktwo settings is a workaround for a flaw in the save game file format. We actually ran into this issue during
tc isle, but it was so long ago, I forgot the problem existed until I read through the tc isle threads and read up on the topic 'why saved game don't
work'. Read that here: viewtopic.php?f=43&t=2853

Another mention: If you pick up the fuel (or gas) can before visit the wall, there is no voiceover hint. In lieu, that's why the tomb raider like cutscene
was added, to give you a hint as to where you should go with it. Now, say u happen to visit that spot in the wall before you pick up the can, anne says
something like 'there's gotta be a way through this' and the secondary voiceover 'that's gotta be what I need' would play if afterwards you go and pick
up the can for the first time.

*I could also expand on that cutscene as T.I. suggested, but the damn camera settings were giving me coords in reverse, so the camera movements
were heading off in the opposite direction. It was really pissing me off! Arrgh
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer
Antispam: No

Post by Draconisaurus »

Hey Reb - finally played this level. Since it's not finished, I've only explored the first little area.. Looks very nice so far. 8)
Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Rebel »

Thanks, Drac. Finally got a computer again, did ya?
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Indeed! Slightly low specs but it works.
tatu
-=TresCom Website Manager=-
-=TresCom Website Manager=-

Re: Ruins Level (Page 4 Download)

Post by tatu »

Added latest version to TresCom's download section as requested. :)
Active project: Trespasser: Isla Sorna
BE-PH1: Released
PH2-IT: Pre-released
PL-SUM: In production

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Rebel »

Added latest version to TresCom's download section as requested. :)
Always nice to see someone keep their word, tatu. Thanks, bud. ;)
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

So, is this the final version, or are there more going to come?
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Tres WIP: updated T-Script Reference and File Formats documents
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Rebel »

machf wrote:So, is this the final version, or are there more going to come?
Hey, machf. No, they're be a final version of the level released. Been working on it a little at a time,
been rather busy lately with work and family troubles, but as always, I'm determined to finish up the
level as I envisioned. :)
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Just wanted to say.. Finally dipped a little deeper into this level and found the source of the saurian invasions.. :| Very nice!

How has this level been coming along?
Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Rebel »

HidHo, Gents. I'm releasing a beta version of the ruins level (see below). One is using the stand alone
atx engine, the other zip is for CE.

Regarding CE, I couldn't get the damn level to load, and when I finally did my sounds were mia. So, I
like Frank Sinatra, ".. did it my way". Instructions are simple and inside the zip. Basically you just put
all the file inside tres' cd data folder and place the executable trespass_ruins.exe inside dreamworks'/
trespasser folder. Use that edited executable to run the level (access either by the quickload button or
Shift+Ctrl+Q+W (then release the W (if anyone forgot, I almost forgot myself)). T.I. is an expert with
CE, but I am not!

Also, thanks to TheIdiot, Drac, machf and tatu for their input and testing. I may have forgotten some-
one here, so if I did please excuse the omission, and if I did, I will be sure to correct this post. ;)

SEE PAGE 5 FOR DOWNLOAD

I managed to write a quick walkthrough, but I'm somewhat hoping that anyone who does play it tries
to figure out beforehand. So, don't look below if you don't want to know. ;)
Quick Walkthru (Don't read if you don't want to know)

Your main goal is, as Anne's goal always was, is to find help and being stranded in
an abandoned, ancient roman city isn't the best place to look.

Having survived your plane crash, exit the plane's tail section. To your left, and down
a slight hill take note of a red fuel container. It may seem like a useless prop, but in
fact you'll be needing it to solve the puzzle so that you can exit the city and into the
outer valley.

There are a few items around that are weapons, but no guns. There is a mace and
a knife inside two of the peasant rooms as well as a gladiator sword found inside the
small arena.

Take note of the rather large and partially destroyed temple. No doubt, you will hear
the eerie sound coming from there as you approach it. Be careful, as this is a portal
(yes, time portal) to another world, a jurassic world. You cannot enter that realm but
raptors can enter yours.

Behind that portal is a rather decorative room with a painting of a goddess (actually,
this woman looks like an old girlfriend of mine (damn, I miss her)), On the floor near
the wall is a torch. Take it.

Head back to the plane, where the engine fires are still burning. Light the torch, but
be careful not to get burned. Now, remember that fuel container? If you haven't yet
visited the courtyard behind the long abandoned market fronts, picking the container
up will give you a camera hint as to where you should place it.

Grab the container and that torch and go there now. Look closely at the wall towards
the end of the courtyard, past the boar a little ways. There's a hole inside the wall and
this is where the container should be placed. Once the container is set, use the torch
to light the fuel breather, and back up straight and quickly. If the container explodes n'
you're too close, Anne will die!

Once the smoke has clear, croach down and squeeze through the wall's opening. In
front of you lies the path to the outer valley. Continuing down for a while, to your right
take note of a rather large entrance. This was an old roman soldier outpost, unifnished
but inside there's at least one item there that you need. The ladder -

Grab the ladder by the 1st rung and exit the outpost to your right. Continue on towards
the aquaducts. Between two aquaduct pylons (or pillars) in the pass take note of the
rather large cross raised within the concrete. This is where you place your ladder. Go
slowly towards it (use S, not W) and place the latter directly beneath the cross. It it's
the right spot, the ladder will be placed and freeze in the correct location. Begin climb-
ing the ladder -

At the top of the ladder is a hidden door, by touching it, it will recede inside the plyon's
exterior. Enter, take the sacred stone and then exit. Be advised, there's a few raptors
around this area, so if you decide to carry both stones with you, you will be unarmed,
hence in a little bit of danger.

Continuing on, a little ways ahead of you, take note of an old wagon. There's one item
lying inside the wagon's bed that you'll need. An axe/hammer tool. You'll need this to
break the lock on the end_temple doors that's a little ways further along to your left. If
you choose, you can bring the stones to the temple first, then return for the tool.

Let's assume you have reached the temple, both stones are lying just close by. Take
the axe/hammer tool and aim for the center of the lock mechanism. You need to strike
that area at least twice to the snap the rusted section of the lock off. You got it, good!

Inside the temple you have a typical trespasser style puzzle in front of you. I hope you
are good at jumping and judging distance as falling into the lava means death. I suggest
taking one stone at time here so you can see precisely where you are jumping to and
from.

Note, the sacred stones are not the same. The crosses have arrows on one side, right
and left. Placing the correct stone on each of the reception plates will trigger the hidden
door inside the middle altar to open. Once this happens, grab the cross key and exit
the temple, being careful not to fall into the lava.

Proceeding left, go up and around the knoll and to the end valley's entrance way marked
by two crosses marking the stairs. Go down, around the small pond and keep heading
straight towards the mountain's walls. Here, you'll find another mountain entrance. Note
the gates ahead of you blocking your way. Take your key out, ease your way up to the
center of the gates and line up your key. Once done, the gates will open and you can
proceed down to the stairs ahead of you.

The door is front of you leads to the entrance of the catacombs. The door weight sitting
on the floor are prepositioned, meaning, use the door weight closest to its mated counter
weight.

Line up each weight, moving slowy. Once you've positioned the weight in the correct po-
sition, the door weight will set. When each weight is set, the weight will begin dropping,
raising the door.

Enter the catacombs. Inside a ways is where this particular level will end. I will not say
for the sake of mystery, exactly how.

Will there be a continuation to this level? Well, the answer is yes, assuming I don't die
before then! There will most likely be a beta_2 release to this level as there's a few items
that we're working on that I personally would like to add to the level before moving on.

Some small tibbets and notes:

For anyone unfamilar with this level or anything written about it before, the torch keeps a-
way all animals, including the raptors. So technically, you can go through the entire level
without getting attacked.

If you don't want to worry about raptors inside the town, if you hug the edges of city's tem-
ple, no raptors will teleport through the portal.

The mace (basically a round ball with spikes, ouch!), can kill but it take at least two strikes
before an animal will die. So, keep that in mind if you use it. The gladiator sword kills with
one strike, I do not recall the killing power of the knife inside the peasant's apartment. The
crossbow is deadly, one hit. Due note, do not shoot at a tree, else the arrow will stick into
the tree (and some other wood objects), and cannot be retrieved for another shot -

CrossBow Hickups: Only one, sometimes once you store the bow, grabbing the arrow will
not auto-load the bow. If that happens, just unstore the bow, and then restore it. The arrow
(reach for it again) will then load properly -

Camera Hints: These so called out of body experiences are hints, suggesting to you where
you need to go. It doesn't show precise items, just the general area so you know where to
look for said item.

Cheating: Sorry, but there are really no shortcuts. Scripting is set up so that you cannot
circumvent a puzzle simply by teleporting (i.e. into the end_temple) or flying somewhere. If
for instance, you fly via atx into the end_temple the sacred stones will not set and you can-
not get the key needed for the gates. Besides, you shouldn't cheat anyways!

Dinos: Yes, there's only a total of 7 in level if all elements of the level are in play, so there's
not a tremendous amount of danger here, but I was more concerned with the puzzling, and
bringing the level to its playable end-game. Next time around, there may be more dangers,
more dinosaurs or another animal to contend with. ;)

Easter Eggs:

Not a lot here, but a few that I'd consider to be E.Eggs.

An ashen, frozen in time hand protruding up the the ash in the underground passage to the
arena.
The ashen corpse inside the bath.
My name, hidden on the bark of a tree (somewhere, I don't even remember where the damn
thing is).
Inside the catacombs, the 1st skeleton to your left will turn its head, drop its jaw and gasp
if you reach for it.
That goddess painting. I'm not kidding, she's a dead ringer for that old girlfriend I mention-
ed above. Similar face, similar body . . . although, I don't recall her being so seductive, at
least not with me! :lol:

Well, that's about it, folks. There's some little things, models of interest that you could see
here and there like a busted legion shield, a spear, et cetera but if you wander around you'll
notice them on your own without me naming or placing them.
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

*downloads CE version* Ack, sorry that installation method looks very uhh strange and cluttery, will stick with the stand-alone on this one..

'Nyways. Great level of course. I want to note that I've only ever seen one raptor ingame, no idea where the others are supposed to be. So I went to the...
...wagon with the axe, used it on the temple door. Worked. Tho when I load the savegame there, your CEntityAttached fog thing turns on when the savegame is loaded. :?
Inside the temple.. I managed to get across the lava and find an interesting set-up, however the clue utterly mystifies me, no idea what to do after.